New Tourneys Structures

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

New Tourneys Structures

Postby RenaMac on Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 pm

I know that Links is only a sim, but would it be possible to limit tournaments posted only to those that actually have four rounds of eighteen holes each :roll: I don't mind "jetting" over half the world to "play" in St.Andrews or Sea Island, Valderrama or Xilver Prairie, but finding that I've only got nine holes on one round with gimmies and the next round is eighteen with none is a bit disconcerting. Thanks for listening :D
RenaMac

Postby Freefaller on Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:11 pm

No offence Rena, but the tournaments are user created and they are allowed to create and offer up for play anything they want. It's up to the player to look at the Conditions and see if they wanna play it.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby Crissy on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:17 pm

The problem I see developing is we are going to have pages and pages of tourneys and no one playing in most of them or very few anyway.

There is not much you can do about it with users setting up there own tourneys, but that-s what I see happening. The same happens with Tiger Woods as they have much the same setup.

One thing that would be good would be password protected tourneys. Then clubs and smaller tournament sites could set up there own little tourneys here and only the people they wanted would be able to play in them. People such as myself could not just pop in they would have to be invited.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby ranchocucamonga on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:32 am

wouldnt that be even more restrictive...and not to mention make for little"clique" tourneys . Dont you think the password thing will do just what you said in the begining "no one playing in most of them or very few anyway" same result for me.
"Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."
ranchocucamonga

Postby Crissy on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:53 am

Well that would be optional the person setting up the tourney could make it password protected or not it would be up to them.

If say you belonged to a club and and set up an in-house tourney. The last thing you would want is for someone like me to just toddle in and start playing. As I am sure most people would like these kinds of tourneys to be reserved for there own members.

I have even had people post in there condition when playing Tiger Woods tourneys, that they didn’t want me to play. I didn’t take offense of this but would have liked it better had they sent me a message and just asked me not to play, instead of posting it on a bulletin board for everyone to see. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby DennisHarris on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:38 pm

I must agree with RenaMac and Crissy.

Going to the LSPN.Net server to play a tournament is IMO a huge problem for players trying to sift thru the many many tournaments now available to play .... a good thing really, but a bit messy and out of control as is. Some sort of re-organization of tournaments as displayed on the server definitely needs to be accomplished.

Also remember the big picture folks, all of the old LS Tour tournaments including (eventually) the LOTL and Flights tournaments will also be added to the current array of tournament on the LSPN server. And that is projected to begin next week. Oh the number of tournaments available to play in will be mind boggling, and even more difficulty to sift through.

Crissy's idea of a password protected tournaments option being added to the tournament set up screen is a good idea. Even if it might promote or add "clique" or "niche" player tournaments to the tour. IMO They do have a place in the overall master plan Marks has for the LSPN.Net. I see team events, Mod events and various other Elete, Champ pro, or amateur tour and leagues tournaments requiring passwords to limit the fields to those player belonging to that tour or league only. So passwords are a good idea to include.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:28 pm

sooner or later, the guys who are not drawing many (or any) players to their user created events will stop posting them. the user event site will eventually become a place for special condition (or rare venue) events that are not available on the regular tour menu. niche events will always have their audience, and for some groups of players, 16 or so is a good field which would not be so hot on the main tour.

there are enough specialty sites in the community that password protected events for this tour are not needed, nor do they fit in with the "all inclusive" theme that has been a constant links tour principle: if you qualify (flight, swing, etc), you can play anywhere. if you create an event, you'd better be prepared to serve anyone who walks in the door.

just what we don't need around here--private clubs. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Crissy on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:56 pm

Larry_Warrilow wrote:just what we don't need around here--private clubs. lw

Don’t be scared cliques are a piece of cake, I will handle them for you I have loads of experience.

Theres nothing to it they only work well in bunches, four of five at a time is easy. lol

Crissy
Crissy

Postby gibby on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm sure once Mark gets everthing up and running the user created games will die down, since most of us will be trying to join way more events that we can handle. And I'm sure the clubhouses will take care of all the cliques, be that good or bad.

And let's not get into a boy girl thing, because you know us boys, will just crawl back into our shells. :wink: :wink:
gibby

This stuff is only testing

Postby HeavySwinger on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:19 pm

The user created tourneys I think will be done in Clubhouses soon to be added. I believe the traditional tourneys similar to the old tour will be set up each week on the main page, not sure if user created ones will be allowed there or not. There will also be some new types of tourneys on the main page. I'm sure some organization will result in both the main page and the clubhouses. I'm sure a free-for-all clubhouse will exist for funners too where anyone can create a tourney. We will just have to see what develops here, I for one am looking forward to some interesting stuff.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Return to Talk About It