LinksOnlineLeague

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

LinksOnlineLeague

Postby Bruce Bo on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:35 am

once the new site is underway and bug free :)
i'd like to establish an ongoing league.
consisting of 18 tours - with a standings page. where the finishing order earns points in reverse order. if 10 play, the winner gets 10 points etc to last getting 1.

the time alotment to play 4 rounds of Champ level will be 5 days.. will allow me time to update the standings.

one BIG item....
i am not a fan of unrealistic scores. i am not even hinting of 'cheats' as i know there are those out there that really are that good and capable.
but~
realistically in my league any score better than 60 will be scored as 60. its not going to be fancy.. just a standings page, but i'll send a small trophy to the winner to have something to show for his efforts.

obviously, the more you play, the more points you score, without needing to 'win' a tour.

hope you'll give it a look~
watch for LinksOnlineLeague on the LSPN tour page. right now i'll be running practice tours along with the ironing out of the LSPN page.

bruce bo
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Pappy on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:46 am

realistically in my league any score better than 60 will be scored as 60.

:) Curious to how many will play in your league Bruce. That's the first time I heard of that.
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:05 am

well, BB's idea is definitely a new wrinkle in score limiting. it won't ever apply to me (at champ), but if any studs show up at pro, there may be (lol) a regular tie for first. if he uses tough courses at champ from the back tees, the best stud scores are rarely (at champ) better than -50. in fact, the lowest stud finish i could find in a click champ (non beta) tour event at firestone over the last year and a half was -37. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Bruce Bo on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:08 am

Pappy wrote:realistically in my league any score better than 60 will be scored as 60.

:) Curious to how many will play in your league Bruce. That's the first time I heard of that.

i'm curious too!
i've been thinking about this for a long time, but with the new LSPN i finally decided to give it a try.
its either going to be a hit or fall flat with all the other tours that will probably be up.. but i had to try.

its not part of LSPN, its my own idea, but the clubhouse part of LSPN that Mark is going to eventually have up, could be the perfect place to make it work :)

time will tell~
since the Clubhouses will be passworded (i think) so if the league catches on, we'd have a regular group of competitors!

i'll post a web page and email address if that happens
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby IanDLS on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Yup, once the ClubHouses are added by Mark, then things can certainly start. I only hope there is an intro page where some that are interested, are able to pass along the interest to the ClubHouse Captain. This would work well with an email request, and avoid the forum "look-in". Unless there are private forums?

With suggestion to the capping of the score of 60, is there any way with Mark allowing ClubHouses, to assign Handicaps to players when particpating in certain Tournaments?
At present, Mark has the Tournament setup with conditions and sliders etc, why not add a tickbox to ALLOW HANDICAPS. When the ClubHouses are created, the ClubHouse Captain can have an admin area to assign Handicaps to individual members. If they participate in a Tournament with the ALLOW HANDICAPS ticked, their score is docked the strokes assigned. This allows various Handicaps and Open Tournaments in any season within a ClubHouse or season tour.

And, if possible, with Handicaps introduced, would it be possible to go a little further and have the site track players scores and have a SUGGESTED HANDICAP, for those unsure of how many strokes to add to players. Thus allowing newbies to ClubHouses with a fair indication of his playing level.

And if I really want to bore you totally, once introduced, surely there would be a way to begin adding Handicaps for Stableford, and then some for Match Play. With a Match Play event, in a ClubHouse Tournament, all scores would be hidden until the final hole played and then displayed with the relevant holes and shots conceded to the opponent on whatever holes deemed appropriate.

I'm sure Mark will be looking at expanding the whole Golf feel of this site and I seriously hope he manages to gain an Online Season PGA Tour which not only mimicks the actual events, but tracks fully the stats, the ability to score well enough to enter the next Tournament, or whether enough points are earned to stay within a certain level of Tour (otherwise dropping to a lower level until points earned allow re-entry). A form of flighting, but with the added incentive of league flighting and gaining end of season pts for some special prize tournaments.

Would be cool to have an online character logged in here displaying various Golfer Cup/Trophies/Jackets for various events/ClubHouse wins etc... or is that too TW'ish lol ?
IanDLS

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:32 am

Handicaps will definitely be a part of the new tour. My question to you guys is, how should it be implemented. In the past handicap was just another mode of play. Should we continue that route or should it be handled differently so handicaps can be applied to any type of event?

Also, should handicaps be calculated differently from the past?

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby IanDLS on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:19 am

lstouradmin wrote:Handicaps will definitely be a part of the new tour. My question to you guys is, how should it be implemented. In the past handicap was just another mode of play. Should we continue that route or should it be handled differently so handicaps can be applied to any type of event?

Mark

Personally, I would like it all !
Hehe... if it can be done, have it all ways...

But, in all seriousness... I would honestly adore having the Handicaps applied to any type of event. Allowing more freedom gives alot more scope for those inner ClubHouse events and still allows for open play tours too.

Should they be calculated differently..?
Is there any way of being able to assign handicaps or a level of adjustment ( plus or minus upto 5 ) of the proposed Handicap (ie tracking it as it was used to - thus allowing for both the option of having it as it was and as others may want )

Would be cool to play a Handicap tournament amongst friends, and the winning Player having his handicap increased each week (manually -1) to try and make reaching the top of tree fairer for everyone playing.

Thanks for the reply Mark
IanDLS

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:07 pm

IanDLS wrote:
lstouradmin wrote:Handicaps will definitely be a part of the new tour. My question to you guys is, how should it be implemented. In the past handicap was just another mode of play. Should we continue that route or should it be handled differently so handicaps can be applied to any type of event?

Mark

Personally, I would like it all !
Hehe... if it can be done, have it all ways...

But, in all seriousness... I would honestly adore having the Handicaps applied to any type of event. Allowing more freedom gives alot more scope for those inner ClubHouse events and still allows for open play tours too.

Should they be calculated differently..?
Is there any way of being able to assign handicaps or a level of adjustment ( plus or minus upto 5 ) of the proposed Handicap (ie tracking it as it was used to - thus allowing for both the option of having it as it was and as others may want )

Would be cool to play a Handicap tournament amongst friends, and the winning Player having his handicap increased each week (manually -1) to try and make reaching the top of tree fairer for everyone playing.

Thanks for the reply Mark

I hadn't thought about that - manual handicaps. That could be interesting to let the clubhouse captains adjust handicaps for members.

Thanks for the input, Ian!

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Bo on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:53 pm

deleted silly comment
Last edited by Bruce Bo on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby DJSpeedy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:59 pm

lstouradmin wrote:Also, should handicaps be calculated differently from the past?

Mark

How about using the USGA formula for calculating handicaps?

And how about setting all AMMY events to use handicaps?

Or - have scratch and handicap leaderboards for each level. I like that idea as that will give those who can't shoot -100 for 4 rounds a chance to "win" the "handicap" portion of the event. :lol:
DJSpeedy

Some Handicap Suggestions

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:10 pm

I had some success with handicaps in Links over in Greenskeep. The first thing I did was handicap to birdie instead of par so most everyone got strokes instead of giving them back to the course. That makes the handicap much more palatable to players. The other important concept is to only base handicap on scores from competitive play where points are on the line. That makes "sandbagging" less effective because it will cost them points.
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:18 pm

We are using the USGA handicap system on the old tour and we only used handicap rounds to count towards handicaps to prevent sandbagging. So I may just stick with that system but also allow a manual version.
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Outline of how Top players can still play in lOl

Postby Bruce Bo on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:39 am

how about this!
you can play in all 18 tours...
for each win, you will only be able to count points for 1 less tour.
in other words, you win 1, you can only count the best of 17. win 2 the best of 16 (so each win throws out your lowest points awarded)

shoot all the 50's you want! shoot enough to come in 2d, and 'let' someone else win. Force someone else to win! strategy :)

i'm still thinking to limit the number of 50's rounds that could be scored. maybe for each 4, you would also drop a Tour.
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby IanDLS on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Mark, thanks for the addition of the Manual Handicap - I've been looking for this since the dawn of Links I think.... lol.

Bruce, my apologies for kind of hijacking your thread...

With your latest suggestion, I believe I understand it, but it is confusing. Outline and detail it again in a small example form of Player A, B and C etc. I think what you are suggesting is a form of Management Strategy Golf, or Links Handicap Leaderboard type thing... let the leader go first and lose points. The only issue I would imagine, is when players simply don't compete, or complete the fourth round..? Their needs to be more bonus to playing and less thinking for them to do. I like your ideas, but I found some of these Tour ideas were not suited to alot of players when I tried a few at Premier Tours a few years ago.

Don't give up though, but await the ClubHouse areas and see what can be achieved first.
IanDLS

Postby lstouradmin on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:34 pm

Yes, please, be as specific as possible. I'd like to write a few tools that will help you build rules rather than select from available ones. Sort of like the MOP editor but using different conditions of course.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Talk About It