Links maintenance questions

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links maintenance questions

Postby gd5150 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:45 pm

After my reinstall of Links yesterday I've noticed it seems to run a faster with a less drive usuage. Does anyone or has anyone considered removing all the data files on a regular basis to lighten to program load. Every few months or once a year etc... This would be course stats files, player stats files, shadow files, saved shots, saved games, recorded games.

I have almost 400 course shadow .sha files, some are over 50 mepgs, Mountain Pass is 66 megs just for shadows, thats bigger that many courses. A shadow file is generated the 1st time you play a course and will be regenerated when its needed.

Along with shadows, I have almost 400 course stats .sta files, again they are not needed, and will be created when you play a course the 1st time.

I have 560 saved shot .sht files. Although I like to keep them, they could easily be moved to another directory for storage and moved back if I have the desire to look through them.

Thats 2000 files in my Links game that are not necesary but will slow the game, use memory, each time it has to scan one of those directories searching for a file.

So would it be best for people to remove these on a regular basis?
gd5150

Re: Links maintenance questions

Postby BruceWallace on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:16 pm

I weed out my .sha files once every 2 or 3 months. I don't know if it makes a difference in the speed of Links loading, or not. After the initial creation of the .sha file, the course loads fast.
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Re: Links maintenance questions

Postby gibby on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 pm

I dump my save shots and shadow files every now and then. Only thing I see is when you first use a course after deleting shadow file it takes a couple extra seconds to load but then the 2nd/3rd and 4th rds work faster.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum