Unable to connect online in game

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Unable to connect online in game

Postby rwoodworkr on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:54 pm

I am now unable to connect to the internet inside of Links. My internet connection is working properly (obviously, since I'm connected to LSPN while writing this post), but when I open Links, I get the message that I am not connected to the internet and that I should check my internet connection. I have checked the connection settings inside Links, and nothing has changed there (I have it set to use my system internet settings, which has always worked in the past, but I did try changing to 'Connect with LAN or connect manually' with negative results). The only thing different that I have done recently with this computer is connect it to a different internet provider for a couple of days. While connected to this alternate provider, I was unable to get online at all. Now I am back with my previous IP, and everything is working correctly, I'm able to access anything online, with the exception of being able to connect online inside Links. Anybody?
rwoodworkr

Re: Unable to connect online in game

Postby MimicPS on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:48 am

Hi Rick,

It sounds like changing from one provider to another and back again may have confused the static IP set-up we did to allow you to play head-to-head during the Ryder Cup.

Drop me a message when you have a bit of time on your hands to devote to finding a solution and I'll help you go through the settings and make any changes required.
Mike (MimicPS)
LSPN European Tour - Home of the Euro36 Stroke & Handicap Events
Informal and Championship rounds every week at LSPN
http://is.gd/eurotour
MimicPS

Postby Mississippi on Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Mississippi

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Misssissippi. I neglected to say that I had already tried that.
Mike (MimicPS) is giving me a hand trying to get this straightened out. I have full confidence that he will work his magic and I'll be back on track soon. I may be something to do with static vs dynamic IP. Or ports. Who knows....
rwoodworkr

Postby Mississippi on Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Mississippi

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

Okay, after exhaustive reviewing of my system, which included hooking up to the NSA mainframe, Mike and I determined that the best course of action would be to reinstall Links. And voila...everything works perfectly now. A very strange bug, but all is well now. Thanks again for your help, Mike. And I really blew it. While you were rooting around in my computer, I should have had you reorganize my documents directory and start work on my 2014 income taxes.
rwoodworkr

Postby MimicPS on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 pm

Glad it worked out in the end Rick. Like you said... very odd because although it was telling you it wasn't connected to the internet, we did manage to provide proof to the contrary.

For the information of others, it would appear that changing between ISPs, particularly if their set-up requires the use of dynamic IP at both the internal and external stage, may well mean that the LSPN_SERVER_FIX file becomes corrupted, and that the connection details and switches accessed through the front page of Links no longer bear any relation to the true state of your machine and its set-up.
Mike (MimicPS)
LSPN European Tour - Home of the Euro36 Stroke & Handicap Events
Informal and Championship rounds every week at LSPN
http://is.gd/eurotour
MimicPS

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum