Disallowing Windows Auto Updates

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Disallowing Windows Auto Updates

Postby BirdieBraddie on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 pm

I am not a computer wiz by any means. Can anyone tell me what menu I need to go to in order to turn off Windows auto updates. I am having to reinstall the older version of the graphics card driver every day because Windows keeps updating to the newer one every day. Thx.

Brad
BirdieBraddie

Updates

Postby sonnycul on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Go to Start --control panel--- security center--- automatic updates --- and choose turn off automatic updates .. Hope that helps
Sonny
sonnycul

Postby terrell on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 pm

not a good idea to turn update notification off. but you can goto control panel|automatic updates, and tick 'download updates automatically, but let me decide when to install them' or tick 'notify me when updates are available, and let me decide when/if to download/install them'. also, you should be able to tick not to be notified of the graphics adapter update again within internet explorer on the windows updates page.
terrell

updates

Postby sonnycul on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:43 pm

hehe I knew that would bring you out of hidding Terrell :D
sonnycul

Postby terrell on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:50 pm

lol. you know me too well. actually, i didn't see your post before mine, and i meant to come back and add some things, which i will do now...

sonnycul wrote:Go to Start --control panel--- security center--- automatic updates --- and choose turn off automatic updates .. Hope that helps
Sonny

as an afterthought, i guess it isn't catastrophic to turn off update notification if you're religious about checking for security updates on update tuesdays. i get a coupla techie emails from cnet.com, and they usually tell me when an update's coming. so i generally apply the ms updates before i get the update notification. essentially, i could turn update notification off.

edit: i also meant to tell birdie' it's a very good idea to ignore ms' suggestions for hardware drivers. one, the manufacturer's drivers always work far better than ms', besides being able to pick the one you want. two, ms is always months behind the current driver. you done good.

edit #2: sorry, it's actually patch tuesday:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+pulls+four+planned+patches/2100-1002_3-6147705.html
terrell

Postby BirdieBraddie on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:46 pm

thx terrell and sonnycul.

I tried to do that, but my options in automatic updates are grayed out, and I can't change them. I don't know what that means, but oh well. Any suggestions?

Brad
BirdieBraddie

Postby terrell on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:03 pm

login with administrator rights on that machine.
terrell

Postby BirdieBraddie on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 am

thx again terrell.

I am logged in every time I turn on the computer. I own the computer. Would it not make sense that I am the administrator for the computer? LOL I'm sure I'm making myself look stupid, but how does one find out who the administrator is, and how do you log in as such?

Brad <--- One sorry confused little man.
BirdieBraddie

Postby terrell on Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:52 am

no problem. and you are correct, it's more confusing than it should be.

but goto control panel|user accounts and look at the your username. beneath it should be the rights you have for your pc. if you're not an administrator, give yourself administrator rights.

should be interesting if you don't have the administator password.
terrell

Postby BirdieBraddie on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 pm

I am listed as the computer administrator. But my windows updates options are still grayed out!!? I did try to look up as much as I could on the windows help, but I haven't been able to solve it yet. Any other suggestions???

Brad

P.S. At least I can still play, but I have to reinstall the older driver every day first.
BirdieBraddie

Postby Armand on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Brad,

Try the "brute force" method:
1. Open the Services console ... Choose START, RUN... and then type SERVICES.MSC (case insensitive) and click OK or press ENTER.
2. In the right-hand pane of the window that opens, find Automatic Updates and right-click on it and choose Properties.
3. On the General tab, click on the STOP button to stop the service.
4. Adjust the Startup type to Manual or Disabled.
5. Click OK and close the Services window.

NOTE - In order for you to get O/S and IE (and other) updates, you will need to start this service prior to visiting the Windows Update website, especially if you've Disabled the service. Use the same steps, except choose to START the service instead of stop it in Step 3.

Armand
Armand

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:25 pm

terrell wrote:lol. you know me too well. actually, i didn't see your post before mine, and i meant to come back and add some things, which i will do now...

sonnycul wrote:Go to Start --control panel--- security center--- automatic updates --- and choose turn off automatic updates .. Hope that helps
Sonny

as an afterthought, i guess it isn't catastrophic to turn off update notification if you're religious about checking for security updates on update tuesdays. i get a coupla techie emails from cnet.com, and they usually tell me when an update's coming. so i generally apply the ms updates before i get the update notification. essentially, i could turn update notification off.

edit: i also meant to tell birdie' it's a very good idea to ignore ms' suggestions for hardware drivers. one, the manufacturer's drivers always work far better than ms', besides being able to pick the one you want. two, ms is always months behind the current driver. you done good.

edit #2: sorry, it's actually patch tuesday:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+pulls+four+planned+patches/2100-1002_3-6147705.html

Actually, I can't imagine anyone having auto updates activated. :shock: :shock: :shock:
If so, you could get the trash updates of IE7 and WMP 11 put on your computer, which have totally s-c-r-e-w-e-d up more than one software program. :x :x :x :x
BruceWallace

Postby terrell on Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:07 pm

agreed, bruce. i cannot even imagine letting windows automatically download AND INSTALL updates. but i do like to see what they recommend.
terrell

Postby Crissy on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:12 am

I disable mine in services, by choice. Then every now and then I go turn it on and go check whats new. I hate things running in the background such as help or system restore also ( the worst feature Microsoft ever came up with in my opinion ) I use Acronis True Image instead, its a dandy piece of software I think. When Power Quest had Drive Image it was very good also, but then Nortons bought it and now its kind of stinky.

It use to be every time I would reformat a PC the person or persons would always come back in not to long of time asking me to fix this or that or this didn't work or that. So now days I always put Acronis True Image on there PC-s and when they have trouble all they need do is run Acronis True Image and there PC is as perfect as it was the day I re formated it and I don't get nearly the people coming back now.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby BirdieBraddie on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:33 pm

A giant thank you to all for your help. That has solved it!!

Brad
BirdieBraddie

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum