New Links install and no sound

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

New Links install and no sound

Postby GoBucks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Does anyone know of any issues with Links2k3 and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcards?
My brother just installed links on an XP machine and has no sound in the game. The sound works in all other applications. I don't know if any patches have been installed. I did direct him to the v1.05 patch. Will this make any difference? I won't have access to the pc until I travel back to Ohio this weekend.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
GoBucks

Postby GoBucks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:14 pm

additional info. When Links is installed, there is no sound of any kind from the system. If links is uninstalled, the system sounds are restored. I think the OS is XP Media Center or something.
GoBucks

Postby terrell on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:07 pm

hmmm, i guess the first thing i would check is that sound is enabled within links by going to options|sound settings.

then i'd run dxdiag, goto the sound tab, and turn hardware sound acceleration either up or down.

he could move the sound card, or another device, if they're sharing an interrupt.
terrell

Postby GoBucks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 pm

The sound was enabled in the game. That's been double-checked.

The dxdiag sounds like a good next step. Thanks.

As far as the interrupt, what would cause a conflict just by installing Links? The sound works fine once Links is un-installed. I work in hardware support and I've not seen an interrupt conflict caused by installing an application, but i'm also pretty sure that i've not seen it all.

Thanks again.
GoBucks

Postby tryandtyoneon on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:07 pm

right click "my computer"........go to properties, then hardware, then device manager, click on sound devices and look for a yellow exclamation mark, if ya have one of those, you've asked links to use a sound device that is conflicting with your system, this will render your sound card useless for links or anything else you need sound for.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby GoBucks on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Would installing Links cause the sound card to go from a non-conflicted state to a conflicted state? I don't know, I'm just asking. It seems to me that if sound works UNTIL Links is installed, and WORKS once links is un-installed, that the problem is something other than a conflict, but I'm no expert. That's I why I posted here, to hear from the experts. As I said in an earlier post, I won't have access to the pc in question until Friday, once I get back to Ohio.

I appreciate all the input. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Keep them coming.

p.s. I will also get my brother registered here so that he can take advantage of this resource.
GoBucks

Postby terrell on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:23 pm

i've been perusing sound questions at linkscorner, and found this:

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15987&highlight=sound

so far. (8

edit: well, after reading 29 pages of 'sound' stuff at linkscorner, my eyes are crossing.

i guess ya might try looking at different drivers for the audigy. if that doesn't help, ya might try the microsoft compatible driver (seems to work better for my logitech mouse).

experts? here? in the immortal words of cheezer...bahahahahaha!
terrell

Postby djwoods10 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:59 am

dont underestamate your self t you have helped a lot of people in here
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Postby terrell on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:14 am

djwoods10 wrote:dont underestamate your self t you have helped a lot of people in here

thanks, don, but i promise i wasn't phishing (sp?) for compliments. and i was just trying to make a funny in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way.

as far as i know, terry hogan (there may be more, but they're not telling) is the closest thing we got to an actual computer professional person. i'm the bane of our i.t. department's existence, but i've never been a pc support person. though i did stay at a holiday inn express last night. (8

my claim to fame is i have no wife/gf or pets, and you guys are the recipients of all that spare time (good or bad, depending on how you wanna look at it). and my parents had some brat that kept wanting to take the radios, tv's, and computer apart. hmmmm (i thought i could make it better, ma).
terrell

Postby GoBucks on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:57 am

The speakers were plugged into the wrong line-out jack on the sound card. Not sure why there was sond somtimes and not others, but plugged the speakers in correctly, re-installed the game and everything works.
GoBucks

Postby terrell on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:42 am

thanks very much for the update, gobucks. that helps others down the road (i've plugged a few things in the wrong jack in my day). (8
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum