Game Clagging - Heap Stack Overflow

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Game Clagging - Heap Stack Overflow

Postby Robodude on Tue May 29, 2007 2:41 am

Hey guys, have never really had a problem thus far, but recently I've left the game for 5-10 minutes, come back to an error - 'Heap Stack Overflow'? Kept the details if there is something in particular I need to look at.

This is twice in a short period of time, it then locks me out of the tourney and requalifying is bad juju - what do you reckon?

Robodude
Robodude
Robodude

Postby terrell on Tue May 29, 2007 3:09 am

terry hogan gave the best definition once upon a time. but i think i recollect heap stack overflows occur when two (or more) applications attempt to address the same area of memory. have you installed an application recently, then started noticing the heap stacks? try playing after a clean boot, that will whittle applications running in the background to ms only. perhaps links has become corrupted, try reinstalling (by far the easiest thing to do).
terrell

Postby gibby on Tue May 29, 2007 5:04 am

had it when I minimized links, came here to ck something went back to links and had error
gibby

Postby Robodude on Tue May 29, 2007 5:47 am

MMMmm loaded Google Earth?? Will investigate thx
Robodude
Robodude

Postby jeff1955 on Tue May 29, 2007 6:12 am

Beware the auto update! Too many progs these days have their auto update set to 'on' by default. If one of them on your computer decides its time to check - seriously strange things can happen! I always make sure new software with an auto update facility has it set to 'off' or 'check manually'.

Jeff
"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty
jeff1955

Postby Hogan1956 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Try using alt/enter when minimising the game instead of alt/tab. That should eliminate the problem.
Hogan1956

Postby terrell on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:17 pm

RR_Stampede wrote:Try using alt/enter when minimising the game instead of alt/tab. That should eliminate the problem.

aha! i knew t was the one to ask. does alt-enter use less memory than alt-tab? would more memory help? is the pagefile used at all?
terrell

Postby Hogan1956 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:42 am

Terrell.........no,no, & no lol. A heap stack occurs when your memory heads at each other from 2 points within a program the overflow occurs when they collide. Alt/tab is a trigger that puts links on the heapstack track.
Hogan1956

Postby terrell on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:50 am

wow. an o-fer. same with softball yesterday. two dropped flies, and an o-fer at the plate. momma warned me i'd have days like this. (8
terrell

Postby gibby on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:41 am

RR_Stampede wrote:Try using alt/enter when minimising the game instead of alt/tab. That should eliminate the problem.

I use the flying windows button, would that have the same effect?
gibby

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:16 am

terry did a nice two part technical explanation of heapstacks on the tech forum in may of '03 when a lot of us were getting them. they didn't affect stat reporting much but were annoying. mark's 1.02 patch pretty much made them a rare thing, until recently. there's a lot more peripheral and security software interacting with many more browsers and operating systems these days, so the tech guys may have their work cut out trying to identify the exact culprits.

i never get heapstacks (knock on wood), but i never leave the game (playing offline) once started until after putting out and looking at stats. then i reconnect and have had no reporting problems since the lspn site has been in operation. some of us had heapstack errors when trying to look at leaderboards on the main game event page in the past, but that problem appears to have gone away. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Hogan1956 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:58 pm

gibby wrote:

I use the flying windows button, would that have the same effect?

wow don't that do a number on your graphics?
Hogan1956

Postby Armand on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:27 pm

I think the Windows button is the same as ALT-Tab, but I'm not sure. I don't see how it would affect graphics, unless you're running Links at a different resolution than your regular desktop. Personally, I've always used the same (1600x1200), but I guess I can where different resolutions might be used.

I've never used ALT-Enter ... will have to try that sometime.

Armand
Armand

Postby FixAmer1st on Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:09 pm

I play a lot of games using my Test AI Players and need to minimize Links a lot to do other things and have always used Alt/Tab..and had experienced some problems because of it but never knew why.

I have taken your suggestion and have been using Alt/Enter and it works much better.

Thanks for the tip. :D

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum