trouble with swing meter

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

trouble with swing meter

Postby Frank50 on Wed May 16, 2007 9:03 am

i reloaded the links .... removed all saved files ... started over again .. played game 1.00 and swing was smooth ( but could not play the tourneys ) ... went and got 1.05 ( rebooted ) and in the 'practice' driving range the swing was smooth ... went to Links Sports site and ran the file for 2003 ... went back and could get into tournement ... after 3 holes the swing meter was uncontrolable ( jerky, unsteady speed wise, fast then slow, jumpy ) ... then i got a message in the chat area that i was using 75% speed and was using slow meter ( but i am using classic swing and that is a message for RTS ) .... also went i play a game Dirrect Connection the meter goes away after a few holes ( same when i use the Match Maker ) ... once the meter goes it will not correct itself and i have to reload the Links again and get fixes and updates each time i want to play the game ( and then i only get to play part of a game )
i have recently had to replace my motherboard ( Asus SAM2-vm ) and video card ( EVGA Geforce 7300GS PCI express ) ... i am connected to internet by Rogers High Speed server ..
Wonder what your thougths are on what is causing me to not be able to play anymore ( as far as the performamce of the game is concerned ( meter uncontrolable and error messages related to RTS ... ) :roll:
Frank50

Postby terrell on Wed May 16, 2007 9:13 am

have you entered the 7300's device id into the videocard.txt? there may be a process or processes starting hourly or intermittently causing the erratic swing meter. run task manager, click the processes tab, and click on cpu twice. let it sit there awhile until you see which process is kicking in, taking cpu cycles away from the swing meter.

sidenote: i use zonealarm internet security suite, which updates its virus and spyware definitions hourly. i could disable the update feature, but i usually just watch for the top of the hour, in which i know the update is going to be kicking off. sometimes i forget... (8
terrell

Postby Frank50 on Wed May 16, 2007 9:34 am

i sat there for awhile and the only thing that came into use was the

taskmanager exe 01

system idle process 99

nothing else came on in 5 mins

the device is in the videocard.txt and shows up when i start the game at the bottom and in the Display box of the graphic settings
Frank50

Postby terrell on Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am

hmmmm, ok, how 'bout playing after a clean boot and/or disabling sound scripts?
terrell

Postby Frank50 on Thu May 17, 2007 6:01 am

i can play with reboot if i dont go online ... just play the game only ( no matches or tourneys )
but when i go online i get the meter problems ... that includes dirrect connections, tourneys online and match play.
the sound script is off ( i dont play with sound ... i dont allow wavs and players script is shut off when i create player ... i select no script )

the persons i got the upgrade from say that the motherboard is too new for such and old game and that the geforce card is too new as well ( what do you think of that??? have you heard of such a thing ??? ) .
Frank50

Postby terrell on Thu May 17, 2007 6:28 am

Frank50 wrote:the persons i got the upgrade from say that the motherboard is too new for such and old game and that the geforce card is too new as well ( what do you think of that??? have you heard of such a thing ??? ) .

i would immediately find me a new pc guru. 'cause that doofus is delirious. he obviously wants you out the door, and doesn't wanna spend time on something that's obviously not his/her problem.

please try playing online after a clean boot, if'n ya haven't already. it's a 99 percent chance it's software (background programs/dll's/processes) related. and a 1 percent chance it's an overheating cpu or undersized power supply. but let's eliminate all the easy stuff first? (8

edit: also, what cheezer said.
Last edited by terrell on Thu May 17, 2007 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
terrell

Postby Cheezer on Thu May 17, 2007 6:33 am

Whoever told you that is out of his/her mind. Actually just the opposite is true. The fact Links is over four years old and outdated compared to the new games that need more powerfull motherboards, video cards, CPU's and memory, Links should run fast and smooth compared to the new games.

I have never heard of anyone having all the wierd troubles you are having with the game. It might be possible your Links is corrupted somehow. I would suggest completely uninstalling Links and make sure everything relating to Links in your registry file is deleted also and completely reinstall Links. Good Luck. [/code]
Cheezer

Postby Frank50 on Thu May 17, 2007 6:49 am

i was suspicous of the expanation i got from my 'pc guru ... dealer'... but i had just spent 800$ getting updated and i did is because my old motherboard did burn out and when i needed a new one i wanted a good one ... then he said my video card was not compatable with new board and that geforce was good card but it would need more power ( so i got a power source too ) ...

i am inclined to believe that my game might be corrupt in more that one area .. one of the hints i got was a created player had his shirt on backwards ... i have completely wiped it off and started new ( as i said at the begining of this posting ) ... but alas even with only one created player ( with shirt on properly ) it will still not let me play a complete game ( dirrect or match ) ... i think i will get another Links and see if it is better ( i can still get one online i think ) ...

thank you for your input
i was getting alot of mixed signals and i am NOT a pc genius lol .
i figured i would get an honest answer from you all ... ty again

i will try a new links and let you know how it goes .... bye for now
Frank50

Postby FixAmer1st on Thu May 17, 2007 4:47 pm

If the player you created with the shirt on backwards was a lefty and had an emblem or lettering on it they would be backwards. A Lefty's shirt image has to be specially created in reverse as the game just reverses the right handed player to get a lefty.

That fact alone is not indicative of a bad game install or operation.

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby sgt_cook on Thu May 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Is not a pc genius by any stretch of the imagination, but could the jerky swing meter be the results of a continuosly sweeping anti virus program? I use avast and it is like that, though I don't seem to have a great deal of jerky swings all the time. Sometimes yes, but for the most part no. Just an idea.
sgt_cook

Postby Frank50 on Fri May 18, 2007 5:45 am

reply to the last 2 replies

no the player is not lefty

anti virus a) i ran it before playing and that did not help
b) i took my Mcafee right off the pc and that did not help
c) i loaded AVG so i would have something
d) i checked the task manager when the meter went bad and nothing was running and the meter stayed bad from then on .. not for a short time like it would if it were a anti virus running ( would eventually stop and the meter would be back to normal ... which did NOT happen )

i tend to think the best explaination is that my Links has corrupted files and am in the process of getting a 'never used' one

ty for your replies
Frank50

Postby canuck on Fri May 18, 2007 5:56 am

i dont think links2k3 is corrupt.

how much memory does your computer have?
how much space is left on your hard drive?
canuck

Postby Frank50 on Fri May 18, 2007 6:29 am

free space = 80.9 GB
1 GB of DDR2 533 ram
Frank50

Postby Cheezer on Fri May 18, 2007 7:40 am

you have plenty of memory and plenty of free hard drive space. It is definitely not that causing your problem then. One other possibility is update your video card driver. But first you must delete your present driver. Go to the nvidia site and download the updated driver. If after updating your driver if you still have all the problems from before I still suggest it is a faulty Links file.
Cheezer

Postby Cheezer on Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 am

Here is the url at Nivida to download the most update video driver for your 7300GS driver. That is assuming you are using windows xp. I have a 7600 GT and am using the same driver I am directing you too. Good Luck

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24.html
Cheezer

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum