reinstall of links 2003

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

reinstall of links 2003

Postby coafbob on Thu May 10, 2007 9:24 am

After having lost the audio for my links 2003 game it was recommended in forum I reinstall links 2003 game. I used cd rom 1 to uninsatall links 2003 game. After the uninstall I noticed in the folder marked courses on my pc there are about 30 courses there. The uninstall did not remove. should I be able to reintall Links 2003 game with these courses on the computer/ or will it interfere? any ideas. thanks
Bob Reber
coafbob

Postby MK_Da_Hacker on Thu May 10, 2007 9:37 am

Bob,

Unless you specify it when you uninstalled, Links will not uninstall the user created files such as crzs, [censored], etc. other than what was on the original Links disks. To answer your question, it is ok to reinstall Links with the crzs still in the Courses folder without fear of a corrupt install.
MK_Da_Hacker

Postby terrell on Thu May 10, 2007 9:42 am

i think it's a hoot everytime i see a n i s censored. whoever populated the filter was never a national spelling bee candidate.
terrell

re-install links

Postby BryanNotley on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:19 pm

Every time I try to instal links a message comes up saying that links has to close because of an error and asks me if I want to send the error report to Microsoft. I tried to instal links from another copy of a friends and the same thing happened. We went to another computer and both copies installed perfectly. Obviously the problem is with my machine bur what is causing it and how do I fix it
BryanNotley

Re: re-install links

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:22 am

BryanNotley wrote:Every time I try to instal links a message comes up saying that links has to close because of an error and asks me if I want to send the error report to Microsoft. I tried to instal links from another copy of a friends and the same thing happened. We went to another computer and both copies installed perfectly. Obviously the problem is with my machine bur what is causing it and how do I fix it

try bringing links up the first time with links 2003 safe mode. that starts the game with its most basic graphics options. could be the graphics card is just not up to snuff. or perhaps links just needs that initial jump start.
terrell

reinstall links 2003

Postby BryanNotley on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks Terrell but it didn't work.
The full error message is "Links 2003 has encountered a problemand needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". This comes after the opening Links screen and before any of the opening menus. Everything seems to have been installed its when you try to open Links either from desktop or MS Games directory. Heres hoping you or someone has the answer
BryanNotley

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:05 pm

ok, how 'bout going to display properties|advanced|troubleshoot, and cranking down the hardware acceleration and/or disabling write combining.

start|run dxdiag, goto the display tab, and make sure direct3d acceleration is enabled. also goto the sound tab, and perhaps crank down the hardware sound acceleration level.

and probably most important, goto the videocard.txt file, found in the links 2003 directory, and make an entry for your graphics card (if it isn't already there, of course).

edit: the device id you'll use for the videocard.txt file can be found in the dxdiag.txt file (if you 'save all information' to your desktop within dxdiag).
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum