Couple of Vista questions

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Couple of Vista questions

Postby Al_Frescoe on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:32 pm

Does anyone successfully use Vista with Ventrilo? I can hear others but they are not receiving me.

Where does Vista store the hidden folders? In XP the MOPS and player folders were hidden deep inside the Documents and Settings, but I can't find them in Vista.

Thanks in advance

Al
Al_Frescoe

Re: Couple of Vista questions

Postby duncan2 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:33 am

Al_Frescoe wrote:Does anyone successfully use Vista with Ventrilo? I can hear others but they are not receiving me.

Where does Vista store the hidden folders? In XP the MOPS and player folders were hidden deep inside the Documents and Settings, but I can't find them in Vista.

Thanks in advance

Al

I don't use Ventrillo, but u can find the MOPS at <x>:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Links 2003. U can find the shadows' (.SHA) , all the pictures you take, error messeges, etc. at <x>:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003

Duncan
duncan2

Postby Al_Frescoe on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:45 am

duncan2 wrote:
Al_Frescoe wrote:Does anyone successfully use Vista with Ventrilo? I can hear others but they are not receiving me.

Thanks in advance

Al

I don't use Ventrillo, but u can find the MOPS at <x>:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Links 2003. U can find the shadows' (.SHA) , all the pictures you take, error messeges, etc. at <x>:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003

Duncan

Very strange. I cannot find that folder. I got as far as; <x>:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

But that is where it ends. No Links 2003 folder. I have been playing the game online so I know it is there.

the oddness continues
Al_Frescoe

Postby duncan2 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:03 pm

Al_Frescoe wrote:
duncan2 wrote:

Thanks in advance

Al

Duncan

Very strange. I cannot find that folder. I got as far as; <x>:\Users\name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

But that is where it ends. No Links 2003 folder. I have been playing the game online so I know it is there.

the oddness continues

with <x> i meant the part of your system, most PCs' C:\Users\your name (or the one who uses this part of the pc)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Links 2003 and C:>:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
duncan2

Postby sonnycul on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:44 pm

vista uses a /programdata folder rather than the /documents and settings folder as in xp:

V:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Mops via of Mr. T
Do not argue with an i d i o t. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sonnycul

Postby Al_Frescoe on Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:33 pm

sonnycul wrote:vista uses a /programdata folder rather than the /documents and settings folder as in xp:

V:\ProgramData\Links 2003\Mops via of Mr. T

I can't find a folder called "programdata". Do I have to enable viewing of this folder like I did in XP? I am not totally clueless around a computer and know about paths and file trees etc. This is very strange.

I decided to do a search for *.mop, nothing came back. So according to Vista, Links is not even installed (no mops = no play, right?). I know it is installed because I have been playing for 3 days now. The mops are in there somewhere.

An aside: Anyone besides me ever wonder why MS decided to hide and spread those files around like that?

Al
Al_Frescoe

Postby terrell on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:52 am

Al_Frescoe wrote:An aside: Anyone besides me ever wonder why MS decided to hide and spread those files around like that?

i don't have a vista machine with links loaded available, so i can't look for the files for you. but i can say, the reason for the directory structure, is because it's assumed there will be multiple users logging onto a pc to run common applications. so the theory is to keep profiles separate, in their own folders, apart from the application.
terrell

Postby Al_Frescoe on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:09 am

terrell wrote:
Al_Frescoe wrote:An aside: Anyone besides me ever wonder why MS decided to hide and spread those files around like that?

i don't have a vista machine with links loaded available, so i can't look for the files for you. but i can say, the reason for the directory structure, is because it's assumed there will be multiple users logging onto a pc to run common applications. so the theory is to keep profiles separate, in their own folders, apart from the application.

But the question remains, why hide the folders? It seems odd that they would hide folders that contain the mops for example. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.

Still looking for the mops folder on my vista box.

Al
Al_Frescoe

Postby terrell on Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:14 am

Al_Frescoe wrote:But the question remains, why hide the folders? It seems odd that they would hide folders that contain the mops for example. Doesn't make sense to me. Oh well.

ah, i gotcha. i misunderstood and wasn't thinking links. not being a computer person, i have no answer for that.
terrell

Postby djwoods10 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:19 am

go to control panel then folder options hit the view tab scroll down and put a dot in show hidden files and folders
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Postby Al_Frescoe on Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:54 am

djwoods10 wrote:go to control panel then folder options hit the view tab scroll down and put a dot in show hidden files and folders

Thank you, that was the trick.

Al
Al_Frescoe

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum