Tournament got hosed due to crash

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Tournament got hosed due to crash

Postby Doobius270 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I was playing in the TPC Highlands tournament and all of a sudden the game popped up the message of a crash due to a Stack Overflow. I saved the txt file when it gave me the option. But, after that, hole 10-18 would get stuck at "Loading" screen and I had no choice but to hut Cancel and ignore the warning about the tournament provider possibly not giving me credit for the round. Anyway - I had to do that for the rest of the tournament and now I think I just screwed it all up. I did save the .ver file after the round was over, but I have to say I'm pretty disheartened by this. If anyone can advise me what to do I'd appreciate it. Even if it's "oh well man, that's tough".

Peace!
Doobius
Doobius270

Re: Tournament got hosed due to crash

Postby Mississippi on Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Sorry it happened to you Doobius, heap stacks have been around as long as the game, we don't see them near as often since the graphic and memory capability has increased over the years. All you can do is re-qualify, take the penalty and do the round over.

If you start seeing them often let us know and we can see if we can tweek your available page file memory.
Mississippi

Postby Doobius270 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Okay - at least I know what to do now, thank you for getting back to me. I guess I will close down anything else I have running next time. I will check into how to re-qualify and keep on trying.

Take Care!
Doobius270

Postby Doobius270 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:44 pm

Mississippi wrote:Sorry it happened to you Doobius, heap stacks have been around as long as the game, we don't see them near as often since the graphic and memory capability has increased over the years. All you can do is re-qualify, take the penalty and do the round over.

If you start seeing them often let us know and we can see if we can tweek your available page file memory.

I re-installed the game and re-patched it with all the patches for crashing and everything, and went ahead and started another tournament. I never could figure out the actual process of "re-qualifying" - there doesn't seem to be any specifics on how to do that. But no big deal - I love playing golf for its own sake so I just started another Tournament, The Wasatch Open. Had no problems in round 1 whatsoever (other than my rusty skills in the game, so far), but I did notice that in the Standing for round 1 my name and score is still highlighted in yellow. So, I suppose there may still be a problem. Let me know if that's the case, and if still need to re-qualify, even when joining a different tournament, and the specific steps to do that if I need to.

I swear, once I get settled in here and get used to the way things are done, I'll be less of a pain.

Take Care
Doobius270 - John
Doobius270

Postby Mississippi on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:20 am

It took me a minute to figure out where you are playing but i got it now. Everything looks good in the Wasatch Open, you have today and tomorrow to complete the last 3 rounds. The Travelers tourney shows that you have re-qualified once already and got booted again. Was it round 3, hole 11 when the heap stack occurred?
To re-qualify , reenter the tourney in your links game, you will get a message telling you you are disqualified, then come to this site. Log in and look at the my events section of the current events or home page and look at status.... instead of it saying round complete there will be a red re-qualify message. If the server has a problem with your game it is in that section it will show.
This site and the game itself are independent... no re-install necessary to address tournament issues just so you know.
Feel free to ask about any problems you are experiencing... there is always someone around to answer, your not a pain.
Mississippi

Postby Doobius270 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:08 am

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation Mississippi! I think this time I will just try to get the Wabash Open finished. The other tournament crashed on me twice, so maybe it's a course thing.

I saw here on the forums where MAYBE we can use "Offline Mode" within the game, which still tracks you and submits scores at the end of the round and thought that might be an option, too. But I didn't want to try that as it seems to be an older post. In any case, thank you again!

Peace!
Doobius 270
Doobius270

Postby Mississippi on Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:49 am

Offline mode is how i shoot all my tourney rounds, i connect to the net via satellite and don't trust it to maintain a connection with the links server for the duration of a round.
Mississippi

Postby Doobius270 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 am

Good to know man! TCP/IP stacks are notorious for these problems! Peace!
Doobius270

Postby Doobius270 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:59 pm

Yeah this isn't going to work for me, sadly. Tried it offline and got a fatal exception error. And before my machine becomes suspect, I play EQ2 for hours at a time on high graphics setting and have never had a crash. Oh well it was worth a try, but not worth the cussing! Thanks Mississippi for the help!

Peace All

EDIT - I am a die-hard golfer IRL and couldn't just quit after all. Windows 10 suggested running the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (!) and I made it through one more round at Bountiful, so I'll keep trying. - Thanks!
Doobius270

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:30 am

Doobius270 wrote:...EDIT - I am a die-hard golfer IRL and couldn't just quit after all. Windows 10 suggested running the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (!) and I made it through one more round at Bountiful, so I'll keep trying. - Thanks!

Also, it may help, in case you aren't, to run Links as an administrator.
rwoodworkr

Postby Doobius270 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:25 pm

Will do that, too.

Also, I wondered Mississippi, when do you re-cvonnect to the internet, during the last hole, or upon starting the 18th, or what? It seems awkward to me to uplug from my router! LOL

Thanks guys!
Doobius270

Postby pmgolf on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 am

Doobius270 wrote:Will do that, too.

Also, I wondered Mississippi, when do you re-cvonnect to the internet, during the last hole, or upon starting the 18th, or what? It seems awkward to me to uplug from my router! LOL

Thanks guys!

Allow me please, Mississippi. I play Offline all the time. In the game, you select "Play Offline" in "Game Settings..." on the Links Tour page. Then you click "Begin Play". Don't disconnect from the internet! Select your player and start the game. You will get a message that "Links was unable to disconnect you from the internet - you must do it yourself". Don't disconnect from the internet! Play the game. Since you told Links that you are playing offline, it won't try to get the scoreboard to show it to you - it "thinks" you're disconnected even though you are not.

Skip forward to where you are ready to make your last putt on the 18th hole. Putt it in. The game is over and now you get a message that tells you Links is doing something. Wait until you get another message that Links has sent your "Stats" in. That is the reconnection and the "Stats" are your hole scores and all other details about your round. You're done and you never had to do any disconnecting yourself!

Pete
pmgolf

Postby Doobius270 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:31 am

Thank you, Pete. I didn't have a clue how the game handled that scenario. I apprecite the detailed explanation, I really do. Thank you to everybody helping me out!

John
Doobius270

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum