Computer Crashes

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Computer Crashes

Postby Jimboroks1 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:51 pm

It seems the only time my computer crashes now is when I play Links. I cannot finish Doral because of crashes. What ideas do I hear out there? Is anyone else having this problem?

Jimboroks
Jimboroks1

Re: Computer Crashes

Postby terrell on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:17 pm

Jimboroks1 wrote:Is anyone else having this problem?

lol. rhetorical question, i would assume, jim?

yep. loads of folks experience crashes during links. and then there is a pretty fair segment of the links nation that doesn't experience crashes (one being moi).

how do ya get there? a fresh copy of the operating system and/or well utilized registry cleaner. directx sans corrupted files. a graphics driver that doesn't have conflicts with legacy graphics driver files. and programs which conflict with links (haven't discovered any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist).

so, 1) download a registry cleaner, 2) reinstall your graphics driver properly, 3) defrag regularly, and 4) use msconfig to discover programs/dlls/services which may conflict with links.

pppfffttt! that's so easy, anyone can do it.
terrell

Postby Jimboroks1 on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:35 pm

Without sounding too cheap , are there any registry cleaners that I can get that would do the complete job without me having to buy it?

Jimboroks
Jimboroks1

Postby terrell on Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:50 pm

let's consider it frugal, rather than cheap:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tg=dl-20&qt=registry%20cleaner&tag=srch

i paid for registry clean expert several years ago, so i don't know much (ok, anything) about freebie registry cleaners. perhaps someone else has experience? (8
terrell

Postby lstucz on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:41 am

The only free registry repair products out there, of which I am aware, only allow so many items to be repaired, per time it is run, which becomes a real pain in the ass. By the time most people get around to wanting something like this, their registry has hundreds of errors to correct. It would take weeks to run the program that many times to clean up 3 to 5 errors at a time. That alone makes it well worth the investment to purchase the program which I am sure is the intention of the companies selling their product.

Like Terrell, I broke down and bought a program a few years ago. I use Windows Registry Repair Pro from 3B software and have been very happy with it.

There is nothing wrong with being frugal. However, there are many good programs out there, which are not very expensive. The investment is worth it for cleaning up your system. I would suggest downloading a few and trying them out. FInd the one you think you will be happy with for performance, ease of use and cost. Then spend a few bucks and get it.

As screwed up as windows gets because of registry errors, it is a shame that Microsoft does not include a program along with the operating system (eg. disc cleanup, disc defragmenter, scan disc, registry cleaner, duh!). Then again, given their dependability history, maybe it is better to get this important software aftermarket.
Lou
lstucz

Postby Armand on Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:39 pm

If you are looking for one-time cleaning, you can download the trial for RegSupreme and/or jvPower Tools from http://www.macecraft.com. The trial versions have no limitations to them. It is not a very expensive utility, should you choose to buy it.

There is free cleaner, CCleaner, that seems to do okay, alhtough I haven't used it much (http://www.ccleaner.com). I'm not sure what other "features" are available, but the few times I've run things, not much has changed on my system and how it runs. Perhaps my system is reasonably clean, though ????

Armand
Armand

Postby RR_widowmaker on Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:56 pm

I use ccleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ and also easycleaner http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm Both are free and seem to keep things in good shape. Hope you find them helpful.

Berk
RR_widowmaker

Postby Jimboroks1 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:12 pm

It seems the reason for my recent computer crashes and eventual computer demise was that my C drive died on me. I now have a brand new computer and keyboard.
It is a Hewlett Packard a1710,windows vista, processor - AMD athlon 64x 2 Dual Core Processor
4200 x 2.20 GHz2

So far it is working nicely

Thank all of you for your help.

Jimboroks
Jimboroks1

Postby terrell on Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:53 am

great, jim. but just 'cause you got a shiney new system, doesn't mean you can forget about lou, armand, and bigmac's advices. i use ccleaner all the time. get a registry cleaner. and defrag regularly (weekly?). ad-aware, spybot, and it wouldn't hurt to invest in a security suite e.g. zonealarm, norton, kaspersky, etc.
terrell

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum