Links Crashes to Desktop...Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links Crashes to Desktop...Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Postby GOLFGEEK1 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:21 pm

Hey guys. Need some help..please! :x Links keeps crasing back to my desktop after a few rounds and I'm getting DQ'd from my favorite tourneys :evil: I ran the compatability analyzer and it told me to play using Windows Vista SP2. I did that and it still crashes. Very frustrating!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm including my Computer specs:

HP Pavilion a6512p
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Dual Core Pentium Processor@ 2.4 ghz
8GB Ram
Nvidia GT730 2GB PCIE video card

THANKS.....RICK
"I'm Smiling because I have NO CLUE what's going on"
GOLFGEEK1

Re: Links Crashes to Desktop...Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Postby rwoodworkr on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Could be overheating (check it with an app, such as Core Temp), or a bad video card. Do you have another card you could try? Maybe blow some dust out. Also try playing with sounds turned off.
rwoodworkr

Postby whisky on Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:45 am

rwoodworkr wrote:Could be overheating (check it with an app, such as Core Temp), or a bad video card. Do you have another card you could try? Maybe blow some dust out. Also try playing with sounds turned off.

I agree it could be video card. Or maybe, power supply. What video connection? VGA or DVI? If DVI and you have on-board VGA, try that. Have you updated your video driver

Eddie B
whisky

Postby Bassmaster on Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:51 am

I never had any luck with Window 8.1 when my laptop automatically converted to it from Windows 8.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Mississippi on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi Rick,
Sorry i didn't jump in to add my 2 cents sooner, but Delta whacked us pretty good friday and we only in the past couple hours got line power restored. Your computer is fully capable of running Links2003 without using compatibility analyzer.

My 1st step would be to open my device manager, click on display adapters and see if there are any caution signs showing next to the video card. If one is there you have probably found your culprit, if the device manager tells me the device is working properly when i double click it to check the properties, i would then move on to scheduling windows to do a memory test on my next start up. My chief suspect would be a video/memory issue here, i've seen a memory stick loose on more than one occasion playing with computers. My experience with CPU overheating is it shuts down one's computer in lieu of crashing it to desktop.

Mr. rwoodworkr made 2 excellent points. One being blowing out dust. Dust may seem harmless but in reality it is one of the gravest dangers to ones computer next to heat which it creates. It gathers on moving parts to the point where it becomes like soap scum if not cleaned often enough. As a result, the RPM of the fans start reducing from the drag, increasing amperage and shortening the life of ones power supply, CPU, and or video card.
The second was suggesting Core Temp. 1.16 is the current version, i consider it the ultimate canary in a coal mine tool.

Lastly...sorry whisky, i world never,ever,ever suggest one switch to onboard graphics to play links
Mississippi

Postby GOLFGEEK1 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Hay guys. Many thanks for all of your posts. The inside of my computer is dust free. I keep it that way. Since my last post, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, and, I'm waiting on the delivery of a brand new Nvidia 4GB PCIE video card. Should be here by Saturday. :D PRAY FOR ME!! :lol: :lol: Thanks again. guys

RICK :D
"I'm Smiling because I have NO CLUE what's going on"
GOLFGEEK1

Postby Adelade on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:07 am

You say it crashes "after a few rounds" - never in a first round per Links session? One thing to look out for in that case are the skies, if you have a lot of them in the skies folder and play several rounds without restarting Links it is common for skies to stop working properly, resulting first in a blank blue sky followed shortly by a crash.

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum