Need help with ATI Radeon video issues

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Need help with ATI Radeon video issues

Postby ross.strodel on Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:34 am

I have recently installed an ATI Radeon 9550 AGP video card. I started with driver version 6.11 and have worked my way up to 7.2. Ever since installing the card, have had problems with the machine locking up while playing Links. Sometimes it goes 2 holes, sometimes 5, but always seems to lock up and do not seem to have similar problems with other applications I use. When the game plays, can tell it is playing better than before, but am getting frustrated with the lock ups. Not sure if I have settings for the card set wrong or what can do to improve things. I have added the added the card to the Videocard.txt file. I have Compaq Presario with AMD Sempron processor with 1000 Meg of DDR SDRAM. Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide
ross.strodel

Postby terrell on Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:57 pm

forceware used to have big problems with files from legacy drivers, but that doesn't seem to happen very much anymore. i'm not familiar with the nuances of ati, but you might try perusing this article:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=ba7d66f9a2c07136744b89d11b58aac4&t=67799

about properly uninstalling/installing drivers.

your card/rig is plenty for playing links, so you have something hosed somewhere. i would get the graphics card drivers in order, then reinstall links.
terrell

Postby Fraser on Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:48 pm

If you are using the Catalyst Control Center, you might want to think about ditching it, and using just the driver...I had problems using it with my 9600XT and a few programs with lockups/slowdowns...I have never tried any of the "aftermarket" drivers, but have heard good things about them from Terrell and others. One thing you might want to try b4 uninstalling/reinstalling drivers is get this http://support.ati.com/ics/support/defa ... deptID=894
utility from ATI to completely remove all drivers and apps.

***Edit***I tried to post the link for the actual utility, but it would not work...if you go to the above link and do a search for cat uninstaller, you will find what you're looking for.
Fraser

Postby ross.strodel on Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:18 am

Thanks for the suggestions, will try them to see how they work. Noticed while I was fiddling this weekend that if I turned off the Hardware audio acceleration in the dxdiag that it acted much more stable in the game than it did with it on.
ross.strodel

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum