New PC

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

New PC

Postby LtrRip on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:41 pm

I’m looking at a HP - Pavilion Desktop - Intel Core i3 - 8GB Memory - 256GB Solid State Drive - Natural Silver to replace my old HP which is 6 yrs old now. I’m running the game on Windows 10 now... will it run ok on this new pc? I believe it has a UHD graphics 630 onboard. Just curious. Ant help will be appreciated

Mike Roach
Ltrrip
LtrRip . . .
I once hit a tee shot so far right it landed next to a sign that said . . .
"You are 30 yds off the fairway - LESSONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE PRO SHOP!
LtrRip

Re: New PC

Postby Harpo on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:24 pm

I am using an Intel(HD) 630 Graphics onboard and am having no problems at this time. I do have to turn off the sound so I don't get any crashes. You can still hear the ball coming off the club and hitting the ground. Also comments on good and bad shots.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Mississippi on Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:39 pm

Personally i wouldn't play games on any computer that did not have a video card, but each to their own. that said i highlighted UHD graphics 630 and googled it. here is the 1st question asked on what came up.

"Is Intel uhd Graphics 630 good for gaming?
All games. Performance will not be great—about half as fast as a GT 1030—but at low detail in 720p, almost any game should manage at least 30 fps. Keep in mind that UHD 630 for i5 and i7 are about 20% faster than the UHD 630 for the i3 models."

So it looks to me like the computer you are looking at not only has just onboard graphics, but the cheapest processor of the 3 offered which doesn't point to a good gaming experience imo.
Mississippi

Postby Harpo on Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:09 pm

Yea, I am running an I7 so maybe just a little bit better. Before I figured out the sound problem and was having crashes I bought an ATI Radeon PCI Express 512mb DDR2, full1080p HD HDMI viedo card. Radeon HD 4350. I put that in and turned off my 630. I still was getting crashes but most likely the sound trouble. Ended up pulling it back out, got the sound fixed and have kept it ever since. I even have my graphics slider in the game almost down to the lowest level for faster redraws. The game still looks good enough for me to play and enjoy.

If it's working on windows 10 I'm not going to mess with it. :lol:

So that's why I can't beat Roy...... :shock:
Jim
Harpo

Postby Mississippi on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Harpo wrote:Yea, I am running an I7 so maybe just a little bit better. Before I figured out the sound problem and was having crashes I bought an ATI Radeon PCI Express 512mb DDR2, full1080p HD HDMI viedo card. Radeon HD 4350. I put that in and turned off my 630. I still was getting crashes but most likely the sound trouble. Ended up pulling it back out, got the sound fixed and have kept it ever since. I even have my graphics slider in the game almost down to the lowest level for faster redraws. The game still looks good enough for me to play and enjoy.

If it's working on windows 10 I'm not going to mess with it. :lol:

So that's why I can't beat Roy...... :shock:

Fixing links sound issues are easily cured by using a win98 OS :lol: Sometimes i think Microsoft put the crash in on purpose with the release of XP knowing they were dumping the game.
Mississippi

Postby GoBucks on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 am

Harpo wrote:I am using an Intel(HD) 630 Graphics onboard and am having no problems at this time. I do have to turn off the sound so I don't get any crashes. You can still hear the ball coming off the club and hitting the ground. Also comments on good and bad shots.
Are you using the stock sound script, or are you using a custom one? Custom sound scripts have been known to cause this issue in the past.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Harpo on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:38 am

Just the stock script.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Slattery2 on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:31 am

SSD is the greatest invention ever. The best thing I ever did when I built my new PC.
Slattery2

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum