Links Crashing

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Links Crashing

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:13 am

It happens I know but of late too often. Today twice in a few minutes and for the first time a message came up which is 100% Greek to me. This is what I got if it means anything to anyone.

Links MM111.exe Application Error

The instruction at 0x087d2000 referenced memory at 0x087d2000. The memory could not be read.

Going to try again now with a practice session to see if that crashes as well.
RoyHiggi

Re: Links Crashing

Postby LACERS on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:01 am

I've seen that error recently. I get crashes after swinging once or twice a round and that is why I am now starting to make my own Tourneys with a next week's tourney course with up to 8 requals and no penalty on restarts.
AMD Ryzen 5 3400G CPU overclocked to 4.4 Ghz
Asus Tuf Gaming B450 m-atx motherboard
XPG 512gb M.2 SSD
XPG 16gb DDR4-3000 RAM
Radeon VEGA 11 Graphics
Asus VG249QGR 24" 144hz IPS monitor
PNY USB 3.1 256GB flash drive
Coolermaster Masterbox Lite 3 case
LACERS

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:16 am

LACERS wrote:I've seen that error recently. I get crashes after swinging once or twice a round and that is why I am now starting to make my own Tourneys with a next week's tourney course with up to 8 requals and no penalty on restarts.

Interesting. Sounds like a recipe for perfect rounds to me :lol:

Just played a round on the world tour and thankfully no problems.
RoyHiggi

Postby WackerWoods on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:29 am

From WackerWoods
Windows 10 is the biggest heap of crap I ahve experienced and I ahve been in computing from 1991.
I ahve recently got a new computer the old one was clapped out from 1996 and with Windows 10 but it is absolutely useless.
WackerWoods

Postby rwoodworkr on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:34 am

It seems that most crashes are hardware related, rather than software. Bad video cards, overheating, etc. Although, apparently, some systems don't work well with the Links sounds.
I've been running Windows 10 with a budget video card installed and have not had a single crash yet.
rwoodworkr

Postby Steve Sullivan on Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I've been using Windows 10 since it came out. First on a home built PC, and lately on a bought one. Links has never been a problem (touch wood). My main issue is getting a mouse I can use with powerstroke :wink:

Most likely to be hardware related with a message like that. Could be the graphics card fan needs a bit of cleaning?
Steve Sullivan

Postby Mississippi on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:59 pm

The only thing we know about Wackerwoods new rig is that it is a 21 inch HP all in one. So we know there is no video card, only onboard graphics. He has graphic problems that he is blaming windows 10 for, he is trying to use a business computer that has a Intel i3 or if he shelled out the big bucks a i5 processor pushing UHD graphics with 4 or 8 gb of memory to play links. :roll:

One would think with nearly 30 years of computing experience one would know that links 2k3 likes a real video card to run it.
Mississippi

Postby GoBucks on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:22 am

We also know that he apparently has had this same problem for at least 2 years on different computers.
https://www.lspn.net/community/viewtopi ... 333#p90333

Perhaps wackerwoods, you could search your previous posts and find what has worked for you in the past?
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Golfman on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:41 pm

I get a Links crash about two times a month or more. Two times today. I had to turn my computer off in order to unfreeze/unlock the CPU. The game and system locks up even when nothing is touching the mouse. I suspect that someone is messing with my software. I get advertisements that interrupt me and I cannot control or get rid of them. They pop-up each time I start up and occasionally (like today) in the middle of a Links game.

Golfman
Randy
May the Golf God's be with you!
Golfman

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Golfman wrote:I get a Links crash about two times a month or more. Two times today. I had to turn my computer off in order to unfreeze/unlock the CPU. The game and system locks up even when nothing is touching the mouse. I suspect that someone is messing with my software. I get advertisements that interrupt me and I cannot control or get rid of them. They pop-up each time I start up and occasionally (like today) in the middle of a Links game.

Golfman
Randy

Sounds like malware. Also, check your anti-virus program to make sure it's set to not interrupt your gaming.
rwoodworkr

Postby Mississippi on Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Golfman wrote:I get a Links crash about two times a month or more. Two times today. I had to turn my computer off in order to unfreeze/unlock the CPU. The game and system locks up even when nothing is touching the mouse. I suspect that someone is messing with my software. I get advertisements that interrupt me and I cannot control or get rid of them. They pop-up each time I start up and occasionally (like today) in the middle of a Links game.

Golfman
Randy

As rwoodworkr stated, it sounds like malware. What version of windows is being used? Is it the same ad every start up? Which anti-virus program are you using?
Mississippi

Postby Golfman on Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:42 am

I am running Norton antivirus. I am 79 and am not computer knowledgeable.
Golfman

Postby Mississippi on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 am

Golfman wrote:I am running Norton antivirus. I am 79 and am not computer knowledgeable.

Getting one out of 3 questions answered is better than zero of 3 i guess.
I will assume that the windows version is not windows 10 since your using Norton.
Here are a couple suggestions.

1) Run a full scan on your computer with your norton (not a quick scan) if clear proceed to step 2

2) type malwarebytes into your search box and download and run their free version. If these 2 steps don't help or your unable to perform them try step 3.

3) call a local computer repair shop for assistance.
Mississippi

Postby Golfman on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:57 am

THANKS!

GOLFMAN
Golfman

Postby whisky on Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 am

WackerWoods wrote:From WackerWoods
Windows 10 is the biggest heap of crap I ahve experienced and I ahve been in computing from 1991.
I ahve recently got a new computer the old one was clapped out from 1996 and with Windows 10 but it is absolutely useless.

Totally agree. Me bought an old pc at auction, installed win 7 pro and use that for links. Also have another drive with XP if needed! Been on pc's, making and breaking and some programming since late 80's

Eddie B
whisky

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum