Off line play

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Off line play

Postby whisky on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 am

Some Clarification please re offline play.
TRY ONE. game said is could NOT disconnect me from the internet, 'Press 'Alt Tab', which I did, then played through, but of course I was disqualified as had not been disconnected.
TRY TWO: again selected off line, and when it said press alt-tab, which did NOT take me to anywhere, but I was able to get to my home screen and manually disconnect. Then played through again. At the end it said it could not send data to server (of course!). I logged back onto net, but game still could not connect me. Exited game, logged on again and it said something about not having been able to connect and would I like to send my score, which I did. Checked online and found this time (3rd following a previous exit during round) that I had a score for the round. Despite my 6 stroke penalty was 1 under (had been more but blew it owing to fast play to get round finished!)

So, question: Should the game automatically disconnect from server when off line play is selected?
I seem to recall that years ago I got a message stating that the score would be sent next time I logged on, but I did not see this message this time.
So could someone please give me the exact sequence for playing off line and I will see if my system runs the same.
Thanks
Eddie B
whisky

Re: Off line play

Postby Bassmaster on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am

I never had any luck playing offline. Even when I had Windows 7 and Windows 8.
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Mississippi on Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:54 pm

When the game tells you it can't disconnect you, forget the press/alt tab and press the ok button that will show up shortly afterwards, it will then say it is communicating with the tour, that box will disappear after a few seconds and your standing on the 1st tee. Just shoot your round the game will contact the server when your done. You created the problem of it not connecting by manually disconnecting yourself. The idea of offline is the game is not communicating with the server after every hole only after the round.
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:23 am

Mississippi wrote:When the game tells you it can't disconnect you, forget the press/alt tab and press the ok button that will show up shortly afterwards, it will then say it is communicating with the tour, that box will disappear after a few seconds and your standing on the 1st tee. Just shoot your round the game will contact the server when your done. You created the problem of it not connecting by manually disconnecting yourself. The idea of offline is the game is not communicating with the server after every hole only after the round.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did, and have just done as you said. At end it again said data transferred successfully. But when I checked progress in the 'home' tab, I found, again, that I had been disqualified! I had successfully managed 4 rounds using my manual disconnect strategy! It seems all to do with the online connection. Something could be blocking me sending data during the game!
Eddie B
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 am

whisky wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did, and have just done as you said. At end it again said data transferred successfully. But when I checked progress in the 'home' tab, I found, again, that I had been disqualified! I had successfully managed 4 rounds using my manual disconnect strategy! It seems all to do with the online connection. Something could be blocking me sending data during the game!
Eddie B

Can you play online?
i don't know what that something could be( unless you have a dial-up connection), If you can connect to the tour before a round there is no reason the game shouldn't be able to connect afterwards. The game has no power over your internet connection it just doesn't communicate between holes in offline play.
I have played offline with no sound on the links tour for well over a decade due to frequent crashes as operating systems have evolved since the game was created, i never crash or have problems submitting stats afterwards.
If the game tells you it successfully transferred the data afterwards and you go online and it shows you disqualified, drop a pm to lstouradmin pointing out the round in question, and let Mark take a look to see whats happening.
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:05 am

Mississippi wrote:
whisky wrote:
Eddie B

Can you play online?
i don't know what that something could be( unless you have a dial-up connection), If you can connect to the tour before a round there is no reason the game shouldn't be able to connect afterwards. The game has no power over your internet connection it just doesn't communicate between holes in offline play.
I have played offline with no sound on the links tour for well over a decade due to frequent crashes as operating systems have evolved since the game was created, i never crash or have problems submitting stats afterwards.
If the game tells you it successfully transferred the data afterwards and you go online and it shows you disqualified, drop a pm to lstouradmin pointing out the round in question, and let Mark take a look to see whats happening.

Not anymore. That is why I am trying to play offline. Initially I had probs playing online,then for 4 rounds it was fine,then again it started disqualify me every round after the 2nd hole. It seems there is a prob with communicating with internet access by the program and the server, as confirmed by playing offline without manually disconnecting. I don't think contacting Mark will help as it is with every round. But on my laptop no probs, except I cannot get the overhead camera shot to work properly when playing.
Eddie B
whisky

Postby whisky on Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 am

whisky wrote:
Mississippi wrote:
whisky wrote:
Eddie B

Can you play online?

Not anymore. That is why I am trying to play offline. Initially I had probs playing online,then for 4 rounds it was fine,then again it started disqualify me every round after the 2nd hole. It seems there is a prob with communicating with internet access by the program and the server, as confirmed by playing offline without manually disconnecting. I don't think contacting Mark will help as it is with every round. But on my laptop no probs, except I cannot get the overhead camera shot to work properly when playing.
Eddie B

Played a round offline - manually disconnected, at end, after many prompts, manually re-connected, sys said it would send score, and had done so successfully but, when checked status found I had been disqualified! So, after a good round, a bit miffed, logged on again, usual manual disconnect, played round, did NOT reconnect but exited game. Logged back on to net, restarted game and it asked to submit score which it did, check online and found yes, score showed up. Played another round in similar fashion and again, on starting game online, it successfully sent score. So it seems my PC is adverse to live play on Links, sad. Just don't know why but it is certainly my end.
Eddie B
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:04 am

OK I think i'm beginning to get the gist of where your problems lie if i'm understanding things right.

You have a laptop that you can play links on but have graphic issues due to integrated graphics, a pc that i'm guessing has a video card so no graphic issues but you can't connect. Am i correct so far?

If the answer is yes my next question is , do both these computers connect to the internet thru the same source?

If that answer is yes can we have a little info on the pc. The operating system pushing it(including how many bit) and whats under the hood? Then what type of security protection.
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Mississippi wrote:OK I think i'm beginning to get the gist of where your problems lie if i'm understanding things right.

You have a laptop that you can play links on but have graphic issues due to integrated graphics, a pc that i'm guessing has a video card so no graphic issues but you can't connect. Am i correct so far?

If the answer is yes my next question is , do both these computers connect to the internet thru the same source?

If that answer is yes can we have a little info on the pc. The operating system pushing it(including how many bit) and whats under the hood? Then what type of security protection.

Mississippi, yes, you are correct (well done for understanding my mails!
My sys is: Motherboard: ATX Asusprime Z390 LGA1151-CL .
CPU Intl Core i7 3.2GHz Coffee lake 6 core 12 Thread.
Ram: 16GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Plack C14 2400 Mhz
Graphics: eVGA GeForce RTX2060 XC Black 6GB CDDr6.
Wifi: ASUS PCE-N15 300Mbps PCIe adaptor.
Securit: Trend (same as on laptop)
windows Defender. too damned convoluted for me to fully sort out!

I think that perhaps the problem is either with weak wifi, or windows defender which I probably need to either disable or somehow configure. I do have a wifi dongle that is faster than the PCIe one, but previously, on my old Asus 32 bit and much slower pcie card, there was no probs.
So, Mississippi, what advice can you offer ie: disable windows defender which I suspect could be causing the probs, it could be in conflict with Trend. But on my laptop no issues! THere is something certainly preventing Links from sending live data to the server, but, will send offline completed rounds AFTER exiting and restarting!
Thanks again for you continued interest.

Eddie B
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:51 pm

I was thinking the firewall portion, doesn't see links as an exception. I don't have a windows 10 computer hooked up, but i think i found the directions you can follow to get links added. It says apps but the directions came from allowing a program thru.

How to allow apps through the firewall on Windows 10

Open Windows Defender Security Center.
Click on Firewall & network protection.
Click the Allow an app through firewall link. ...
Click the Change settings button.
Check the app or feature you want to allow through the firewall. ...
Check on which type of networks an app can access the network: ...
Click OK.
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:05 pm

Mississippi wrote:I was thinking the firewall portion, doesn't see links as an exception. I don't have a windows 10 computer hooked up, but i think i found the directions you can follow to get links added. It says apps but the directions came from allowing a program thru.

Click OK.

Thanks for the prompt reply, will do later today and post report

Eddie B
whisky

Postby whisky on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:41 am

whisky wrote:
Mississippi wrote:I was thinking the firewall portion, doesn't see links as an exception. I don't have a windows 10 computer hooked up, but i think i found the directions you can follow to get links added. It says apps but the directions came from allowing a program thru.

Click OK.

Thanks for the prompt reply, will do later today and post report

Good Day. I did all the work, including RucKsHuKe.exe, which at first seemed to clear some of the probs, including auto disconnect for offline play. But then after switching off and returning later in the day, all probs back. Tweaked and tweaked and in the end the only way I could make headway was to do my manual disconnect for off line play, then exit at end of round, reconnect and log on and submit scores. The few brief rounds of playing on-line are now just a memory. I will await the next round of comps and try a few more tweaks.
Eddie B

Eddie B
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am

In the windows 7 firewall the only reference is links 2003 as far as the firewall is concerned, not individual parts of it. There is a box to put or remove a tick.
firewall.png
firewall.png (19.79 KB) Viewed 10142 times
Mississippi

Postby whisky on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:46 am

Mississippi wrote:In the windows 7 firewall the only reference is links 2003 as far as the firewall is concerned, not individual parts of it. There is a box to put or remove a tick.
firewall.png

First, many thanks for your perseverance, much appreciated.
For this episode, I completed my offline play for amateur flight 11 without probs.
I checked my firewall settings, similar to the one you posted, but I had 3 Links2003, then on to another setting for 'Rules', there I found SEVEN references to Links 2003 and a few for RucKsHuK too, all rules allowed 2 way access. I have no idea why I have so many Links 2003 listed, unless they stay there after I have deleted Links and a new one entered when I re-install.
So then played two rounds Pro Flight 11, without issue. So now will come the test, as I will be shutting down a while, and will see if online play is good when I restart. Previously, after successful play it has crashed on 2nd hole when restarting after shutdown.
Fingers crossed.
whisky

Postby Mississippi on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Good to hear, best of luck.
Mississippi

Next

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum