cpu goes to 100% on windows 7 when i start some 32 bit games

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

cpu goes to 100% on windows 7 when i start some 32 bit games

Postby Mississippi on Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:40 pm

My snap has always been a little bit suspect at times, but the past month or so it has been quite horrible and now i know why. I have 4 32 bit games loaded on my computer, 2 of them flight simulator and grand prix racing work flawlessly , silent hunter III and links are triggering a rundll32.exe to show up in the task manager processes the second i start them. It is bringing cpu usage up to 100% and it stays there even after the games are closed.
I have tracked it down to C:\windows \syswow64\rundll32.exe which is a valid windows file for 32 bit programs, i have checked it for a virus, ran Malwarebytes at it, and found nothing, computer is as clean as a whistle... ran sfc /scannow in msconfig to see if it was a corrupted file and get nothing.

Now that i know whats doing it i can workaround it by going into task manager and ending the process, as both games still work fine after closing it, cumbersome but effective as cpu usage drops to 3% and snap returns to a little bit suspect from horrible.

If anyone has experienced or knows how to correct this ...i'd love to hear from you.
Mississippi

Re: cpu goes to 100% on windows 7 when i start some 32 bit games

Postby Draggon on Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Hey Mississippi - just wanted to drop a note to thank you for posting this tip. I, too, suffer from a snap that is "a little suspect", but a couple of times a round, I'd swear I had a brain [censored] and the snap would be missed way right in an instant. After ending the rundll32 process before my last several rounds, I've found that I'm much more consistently hitting near the 6 o'clock snap mark with many more dead-on or within a tick to either side of the mark. Better yet, the mystery brain [censored] snaps have all but disappeared.

My rundll32 wasn't at 100%, but it was tracking 50% plus every time I looked at it. I once saw it as high as 71%.

I don't know how to keep it from running, but the workaround isn't too bad.
Draggon

Postby Mississippi on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:12 pm

Draggon wrote:
My rundll32 wasn't at 100%, but it was tracking 50% plus every time I looked at it. I once saw it as high as 71%.

That's about what mine is hitting also, but coupled with the rest of the computer it pushes it to 98-100% total cpu usage. I don't think the file running is a problem, the problem seems to be the file itself.
Haven't much time these days to sit down and delve further into the issue(house remodel), but i will later in the summer and will post the remedy.
Mississippi

Postby albatros on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 am

i have noticed the same problem and find it odd that it just started doing this when i have played for years without having to worry about anything like it. the end process works fine and found it interesting others seem to have this same snafu. i take it that this problem is something relatively new to those that have noticed it.

not sure if this is true but this seems to coincide with having to click the links icon on my task bar twice instead of once.

if anyone has more info i would be very interested to hear about it.

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby Mississippi on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Well a game reinstall had no effect, i kept thinking malware so i downloaded Microsoft's Safety Scanner Download to search for viruses malware or other unwanted software that they update so often its only good for 10 days and it found nothing.
I'll keep looking.
Mississippi

Postby Mississippi on Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:52 pm

albatros wrote:not sure if this is true but this seems to coincide with having to click the links icon on my task bar twice instead of once.

albatros

Pretty good hammer swing actually. As you may have hit the nail on the head.

I started playing with opening the game today, i right clicked my icon and selected run as admin. The game only started one time out of over a dozen attempts even though i got the permission to make changes box on every occasion. On that one occasion the game did open on one click the rundll32.exe. file never exceeded 28% cpu usage and there was one linkslauncher process.

When i double click start, i've noticed it takes a second double click to actually get it going. In task manager i then have 4 processes running 2 start the game. LinksMMIII.exe, 2 linkslauncher processes and the rundll32.exe.

I suspect that permissions have been altered by Microsoft via Windows updates causing the LinksMMIII and the windows syswow64 to conflict with each other. Given that Support for win7 ends in 6 months ending the process tree after the game starts will be the probable final fix for this issue.
Mississippi

Postby albatros on Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:08 am

thanks for the info and as long as it works with the "work around" i am a happy golfer ;}~

albatros

albatros

Postby Mississippi on Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm

My game has opened normally the last 3 times i've went online today. Twice to play and once just to test.
Mississippi

Postby albatros on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am

my game also ran without rundl thingie going up but did still have to double click on task bar icon to start.

the gremlins are still around albeit relenting a little i figure ...

albatros

albatros

Postby Mississippi on Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:47 pm

rundll.32 going bonkers again starting yesterday on my machine.
Mississippi

Postby albatros on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:15 am

after no problems last few weeks i have same problem again as well. seems very odd :evil:

albatros

albatros

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum