can't fix game windows 10 sucks

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

can't fix game windows 10 sucks

Postby Dayfydd on Mon May 21, 2018 11:48 am

i've read and tried everything. Have a 2017 MSI GE 72VR 6RF 17" laptop. NVIDIA GTX1060 graphics card 6GB, i7 6th gen, 16GB ram.

Never gotten Links 2003 to run. One problem is since an 08/17 update, windows doesn't recognize graphics card. But before that win 10 update, game never lasted more than 1-2 strokes before crashing. Sky is the green Links background.

Time to renew, but don't see point for game that won't run. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been playing WGT for almost a year and am bored to tears. No crz', no variation, a drudge after you play for a while.

Some one please, help me to come back to my golf home.

Thanks,
Dayfydd

Hit it hard and long she said.
Dayfydd

Re: can't fix game windows 10 sucks

Postby Redskin on Mon May 21, 2018 3:44 pm

Try this link - sounds a lot like the trouble you are having.
Jim

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34271
Redskin

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon May 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Redskin wrote:Try this link - sounds a lot like the trouble you are having.
Jim

Wow, I haven't been able to play Links on my Windows 10 laptop with integrated graphics, so I'll be giving this a try. It will be great if this is a fix. Thanks Redskin.
rwoodworkr

Postby Redskin on Mon May 21, 2018 6:49 pm

More then welcome. I hope you get your laptop running Links. Make sure you report back here if it works -- or even if it doesn't work. Either way it will help somebody else.
Jim
Redskin

Postby rwoodworkr on Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 am

Redskin wrote:More then welcome. I hope you get your laptop running Links. Make sure you report back here if it works -- or even if it doesn't work. Either way it will help somebody else.
Jim

Will do. Probably be a few weeks before I get around to it.
rwoodworkr

Postby Harpo on Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 am

My new machine, with windows 10 runs Links but I always had a problem in that I could never get the top cam to work right. It would not show my aim marker nor the flight of the tracer for my ball. I just went to the above link, tks Redskin and loaded the dgVoodoo Direct X Wrapper and now they work fine. I have only tried a few holes. One of the slight problems is that it doesn't show the step line very well on greens. My pc is using the Intel HD Graphics 630.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Redskin on Tue May 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Glad it worked out some of the problems for you Harpo --
I read that you have to reboot a few times to make it all work -- I don't know for sure because I use a desktop, not a laptop. But maybe after a few reboots -- something will click into place. :)
Jim
Redskin

Postby Harpo on Tue May 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I have a desktop also but now it loads and redraws real slow. Almost a min. at times. I only rebooted once so will try a few more and see what happens. I'll swing and then wait till my ani finally swings. Don't think I can wait that long for a full round. I use an old desktop but it still has Vista on it and I have to turn it on and off MANY times before the video works. I've tried a new card but the same problem so when it is running ok, I don't turn it off. ha ha The only thing in Fl with all the quick storms we get the power goes on and off often.
Jim
Harpo

Postby rwoodworkr on Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 am

Redskin wrote:Try this link - sounds a lot like the trouble you are having.
Jim

Incredible. This fixed all the issues I was having with my Windows 10 laptop. Before installing the dgVoodoo Wrapper, there was no sky, the top cam didn't work, and it would occasionally crash. Needless to say, I didn't use that laptop to play Links. But now, following the directions exactly, everything is working perfectly. It's amazing to me that this worked so well. I'd like to recommend the creator of that program for the Nobel prize in computing (if there was one). Anybody trying to use Windows 10 with integrated Intel graphics, give this a try. It worked for me. Thanks again, Redskin, for pointing this out.
rwoodworkr

Postby Redskin on Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Really glad to hear that this fix worked for you rwoodworkr -- I hope it works for Harpo and anybody else that tries this fix.
Jim
Redskin

Postby Harpo on Thu May 24, 2018 7:36 am

My links was running so slow after this so I went back to my Intel graphics. It then was also slow and no sky. I ended up deleting and then reinstalling Links. Now it redraws very quickly and still have nice skies with the Intel. I still can't see the tracer or where I set my aim marker in the top cam window. It still works but just can't see the marker which I guess isn't that big of a deal as long as you see where you marked it in the first place. Like I said before, I mostly play in Elite mode and the top view can't be used to aim anyway.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Bassmaster on Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 am

Maybe this VooDoo program/patch should be in our LSPN patch section?
Rick

The Century Club
Bassmaster

Postby Redskin on Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Not sure about that Rick -- all the info I posted is at LinksCorner - so all I was doing was pointing to the LinksCorner Troubleshooting site. I guess as long as people read this posting and get the link, it should be OK.
Jim
Redskin

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum