Turning off integrated card & turning on installed card

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Turning off integrated card & turning on installed card

Postby BirdieExpress on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:37 pm

I remember doing this once a long time ago but I have since forgotten. My pc has an integrated card and I just installed an Nvidea card. I remember going to turn off the integrated card and activating the new card, but I can't seem to figure it out. When I launch Links I can switch to the new card, but it won't save the settings (it says it needs to restart Links, then restarts but it reverts to the old card after restarting). I need more help, thanks in advance...
BirdieExpress

Postby terrell on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:43 pm

hey, be, long time no talk to.

to disable the integrated intel graphics, ya gotta go into the bios setup. on my home pc, i hafta tap the del key just after the power on self test (i used to use the beep to start tapping, but i disabled the pc speaker).

somewhere in there you can disable the intel controller. also, make sure your agp slot is enabled/turned on/activated (i forget off the top of my pointy head the exact nomenclature).

edit: oh, then reboot normally. (8
terrell

Postby Grant_M on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:48 pm

T.....don't forget to tell him he has to d/l and install the nvidia graphics driver for his new card after the reboot! :wink:
Grant_M

Postby terrell on Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:18 pm

Grant_M wrote:T.....don't forget to tell him he has to d/l and install the nvidia graphics driver for his new card after the reboot! :wink:

thanks, grant. i think you just took care of it. (8
terrell

Postby BirdieExpress on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 pm

ok, you gave me enough info (you lost me at "BIOS") to make me go to my manufacturer's chat support for the exact instructions. The instructions worked and I am the proud owner of a fully operating set of Links 2003 (woohoo). For everyone's benefit (see below), maybe it will be of help to some other poor pc-intimidated soul...

Mary_GWER1660 says:
BEFORE reinstalling the video card you need to disable the new video drivers in Windows. (uninstall new card drivers, first, but you can leave the new card in if you want)
Mary_GWER1660 says:
Restart the computer in Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. Tap 2 times per second until it displays the Windows XP start up menu. Choose Safe Mode and press the Enter key. Choose the top "Microsoft Windows XP home Edition" by highlighting this line and pressing "Enter".
Mary_GWER1660 says:
Here in Safe Mode get out of the help and support window by clicking on the X in the upper right-hand corner or by clicking on OK for the window that says you are in Safe Mode.
Mary_GWER1660 says:
1) Click on Start.2) Click on Control Panel.3) Double-click on System.4) Click the Hardware tab 5) Click on the Device Manager button.6) Click on the + sign in front of the display adapter section until it changes to a - sign.7) Right-click on the video listed below the display adapter section and make sure that disable is selected, if it is not then you will want to click on disable. Click on Okay through the warning.8) Shutdown the computer and uninstall the new PCI/AGP video card in the uppermost slot.
Mary_GWER1660 says:
Do not attach the monitor cable to the new video card at this time
Mary_GWER1660 says:
After the PCI video card is uninstalled, the computer needs to boot directly in BIOS.
Mary_GWER1660 says:
Disabling Onboard Video manually (BIOS)
Mary_GWER1660 says:
1) Restart the computer and get to the BIOS by tapping the delete key during the e-Machines startup screen.
Mary_GWER1660 says:
2) Disabling the onboard video:
Mary_GWER1660 says:
a) For the AMI Bios: Choose the PCP/PnP section and set the "Initial Display Select" option to PCI slot
Mary_GWER1660 says:
b) For the Phoenix Bios: Choose the "Advanced" section and set the "Default Primary Video Adapter" to PCI
Mary_GWER1660 says:
c) For the Award Bios: Choose the "Integrated Peripherals" section and set the "Init Display First" option to PCI slot
Mary_GWER1660 says:
3) Press F10, choose to save changes and exit, or for the AMI Bios click on the yellow square in the top left-hand corner. It will ask if you want to save changes and exit. Select "Yes".
Mary_GWER1660 says:
4) The system will restart 5) Switch the monitor connection to the onboard video card.
Mary_GWER1660 says:
6) Once in Windows, install the drivers for the onboard video card.
BirdieExpress

Postby Crissy on Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:10 am

When you reboot your PC just keep tapping the Del key ( F2 for Dell pcs ) and your BIOS screen should pop up for you.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby terrell on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:53 am

wow. i'm really liking this mary guy (it's already a given i like this crissy guy). be, if only everyone gave that kinda feedback after a techie post. if'n ya don't mind, would it be ok to link to your post down the road for others?

very glad you got it sorted.
terrell

Postby BirdieExpress on Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 am

Link all you want. It's important that everyone knows that their computer's instructions may be slightly different. In fact the instructions I had didn't match excatly but it was close enough for me to figure it out. Now if I could just remember how to putt!
BirdieExpress

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum