Intel integrated card help/XP set up tweaks?

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Intel integrated card help/XP set up tweaks?

Postby BirdieExpress on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey guys, I am an old linkster but I am about make a big comeback after about 3 years off the course :lol: I don't have my old set of clubs.. i mean machine, and my meter now runs just a little inconsistent. I have an Intel integrated 82865G card. I guess I could add a good graphics card, but I'd like to just try and find a tweak that will smooth it out (I have the old Links pc setup instructions for Windows, but those don't seem to apply anymore for XP and I'm afraid to tinker with the XP settings without good instructions). I have 512 RAM and 335 Celeron chip, not the most potent but it should be plenty for Links, so I don't see processing power being a problem. I don't run background programs, except Nortons, and I've defragged and and all that good stuff as well. Any suggestions?
BirdieExpress

Postby Freefaller on Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Links and Intel chipsets don't like each other, go to the Intel site and find the oldest drivers for your chipset available and install them, hopefully that helps. Better idea though is if your machine has an AGP or PCI slot go out and buy a card for it and don't use the chipset.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby BirdieExpress on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:21 am

Since I posted I went and downloaded the most recent driver and also updated DirectX. The good news is that the meter runs good (very good), the bad news is that I cannot see where I am placing my aimer, but the yardage numbers change as I move around my "invisible aimer." Playable, but its like flying with instruments only. Looks like I am headed the upgraded video card route.
BirdieExpress

Postby terrell on Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:25 am

you're not alone. most linksters have been unable to get integrated intel graphics to work properly with links.

it is possible to find a graphics accelerator at the intel website that might help. also, trying different drivers. maybe trying different switches in the videocard.txt file.
terrell

Postby Big Fat Frosty on Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:52 am

xp has 20 or so unessacary start up items
goto start run then type services.msc
there u see all xp's services
use this guide to tweak them
http://www.bigfatfrosty.pwp.blueyonder. ... rvices.htm
a typical xp machine will have 30 or so running
but u can tweak it to 14 or so
BE WARNED THIS IS NOT FOR BEGGINERS
and is a complicated learning curve
so if u attempt it use pen and paper to write down everything u alter
so when u cant print anynore u know to go turn print spooler back on etc etc
:O)
Frosty
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Crissy on Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:17 am

Big Fat Frosty wrote:xp has 20 or so unessacary start up items
goto start run then type services.msc
there u see all xp's services
use this guide to tweak them
http://www.bigfatfrosty.pwp.blueyonder. ... rvices.htm
a typical xp machine will have 30 or so running
but u can tweak it to 14 or so
BE WARNED THIS IS NOT FOR BEGGINERS
and is a complicated learning curve
so if u attempt it use pen and paper to write down everything u alter
so when u cant print anynore u know to go turn print spooler back on etc etc
:O)
Frosty

I never knew you had that page made up Frosty, looks good. I have had to lately look around for old copy's of Vipers services for people. Maybe Viper will come back with a new one, now that Vista is released.

Crissy
Crissy

Postby jeanmo on Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 am

jeanmo

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum