Windows 10 problems

Post here if you are having problems with Links 2003. Please post in the Links Sports.NET forums if you're having problems with the tour.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Windows 10 problems

Postby Anita Ruling on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 am

System:
Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti (latest Win 10 64 drivers installed)
24" Display NR 1920 x 1200

Upgraded to Win 10. Tried to open Links, the resolution was at 800 x 600 and I could not see the brown tabs to OK, BACK, EXIT, etc.

Went to graphic settings and changed resolution to 1280 x 800 32 bit, which was the highest setting available at the time. Restarted PC and opened the game, in full screen mode the graphics were stretched way wide with black borders above and below. Still no buttons to click on. Went in to registry and changed the Display Mode to #15 which is the 1920 x 1200. Re-opened Links and full screen goes to 800 x 600 and if I use Window mode, the resolution is correct, but the window is only about 1/3 of the display area, and there is no way I know to expand the window by dragging. As soon as the cursor touches the Links screen, it changes to the tee.

Checked settings on the monitor itself and they are all correct for native resolution.

Deleted Links. Re-installed, but when Links directed me to re-insert Disc 1 when I started the game, I got the message in the pic below. Talked to a friend who had the same problem and she said she just put it in several times, and it finally worked. Not for me.

Any ideas?

Edit: When I'm in Window mode, I can navigate with the menu. When I click on 'system' it shows I have Win XP SP3 with only 1 GB of RAM. I haven't had XP for years. Upgraded from Win 7 64 Home Premium.
Attachments
Links start.jpg
Links start.jpg (152.6 KB) Viewed 16651 times
Anita Ruling

Re: Windows 10 problems

Postby gibby on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:45 am

the system shows your compatibility mode that Links is running at, maybe go into properties and change it to W7.
And maybe try your NVidia control panel and run the test to see if it picks anything up.
Can't remember the disc 1 issues but it should be found thru the search window.
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby Anita Ruling on Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 am

gibby wrote:And maybe try your NVidia control panel and run the test to see if it picks anything up.

Gibby,

Not computer literate here. What test?

Thank you,

P.S. I changed compatibility mode to Win 7.
Anita Ruling

Postby Redskin on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Redskin

Postby gibby on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Anita Ruling wrote:
gibby wrote:And maybe try your NVidia control panel and run the test to see if it picks anything up.

Gibby,

Not computer literate here. What test?

Thank you,

P.S. I changed compatibility mode to Win 7.

Sorry video test ran with my Intel card not with my NVidia card
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby Anita Ruling on Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 am

Update:

I could never get the original discs to launch the game, so I went to Links Country Club and bought the download version. Installed it on the upgrade version of Win 10 and had the same issues. I could play in Windows mode only. The game would not recognize my display's native resolution. Each time I clicked on full window it reverted to 800 x 600 no matter what I put in the registry.

Finally reformatted my HD and installed the IOS Win 10 file which is a free download at MS. It's burnable to disc. Did a clean install of Win 10 and Links performs perfectly in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Thanks for the help and suggestions here.

AR
Anita Ruling

Postby Armand on Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:17 am

Glad you got it working! I hope this doesn't upset you, but I suspect you may have been able to change a setting in the shortcut to get Links to display properly. I had issues with the display being cut off in Win 8.1 (and when I changed to Win 10, I didn't have to change the setting because it was still set) and the simple fix was to disable the display scaling for high DPI monitors (I use a 54" plasma TV for my monitor):

Maybe this will help others....
Armand

Postby Redskin on Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:19 pm

(I use a 54" plasma TV for my monitor)
I was just wondering if you play full screen?
Jim
Redskin

Postby Armand on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:38 pm

I don't really play Links anymore, except perhaps a very rare round, but I do run full screen at 1920x1080 when I'm collecting the Course Key and Course IDs from the Course Manager. I either use a wireless mouse/keyboard or I also have a USB extension cable and 4-port hub for a wired keyboard/mouse (I change them sometimes!).

If I were to play, I'd definitely use full screen - just as I do with Perfect Golf.
Armand

Postby spitdoggy on Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:55 am

fab, Armand, worked for me , thanks, Barry
All we are is the result of what we have thought.
spitdoggy

Return to Links 2003 Technical Forum