AT&T/SBC ISP/Modem Problems

Talk about and set up lobby matches here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

AT&T/SBC ISP/Modem Problems

Postby MRock on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:03 am

Hello all! I hate to bore you all with this again but I tried the setup routine kindly forwarded by Terrell from http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... sindex.htm and the setup page listed for my make and model of modem (Siemens Speedstream 4100) is not the same as the one I actually get when I do a Gateway address. Mine is much simpler and has no provision for port forwarding. After several service calls to my ISP (AT&T/SBC) they have informed me that they do not support port forwarding.
So now I have two questions....does anyone have the same ISP or modem as me and can help me with the correct setup? Secondly, should I upgrade to a more expensive modem with a router built in?
Thank you all for your attention.
MRock

I have a 4100 without built in router with AT&T/SBC

Postby HeavySwinger on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:24 pm

If you are using ppoe software like enternet on your computer, that substitutes for the router. I haven't used that thing for years, I have my own router, a D-Link DI-614+, which supports both wired and wireless connections (I have up to 5 or so computers running at the same time through this router). I can play Links head to head using direct connect or matchmaker with no problem from any of my computers (if they can run links). I have set up my router according to the portforward.com site. I don't think the modem has any firewall or address translation capability, nor does it need it, the router does all that. I would go buy a router and dump the software on your computer (you don't need any if you have a router).
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Pappy on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 pm

I have SBC/ATT and use a 2Wire DSL modem. That modem has an internal hardwired firewall inside of it and to access it go to the gateway here http://gateway.2wire.net/

Here are the steps that I used (this from their tech).

Click Firewall icon at the top
Click View Details
Click Advanced Settings
Put in your windows password
Click on Firewall Settings
Click on Allow all applications (DMZ plus mode) as their game selection does not include Links2003

Now there might be a better (translate: more secure) way to do this but since I don't need two firewalls this is fine with me. Hope this works.
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Return to Lobby Games