-77 with 3 rounds of windy..

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby OHNONO on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:51 am

Hi Porky
First of all IMHO you overating the miss snap in pro penalty by far offcourse in windy it might look VERY punishing but who said that the shot was gonna be close with a snap in the first place--
Second lot of good players like Roy know that they are missing snap so even in the aiming some allready compensate for that by aiming lill more to the oppersite site of which you normally miss....even a guy called think it was LACY or LACEY .... 8) explained that mant years ago ( END OF HIM !! Pls!)
Third ..he can putt !!! hes not using the grid much allmost only the BLI ( lot do that too ( me fx) and maybe hes the best putter around since the girlie left.
Try practice windy round with mullies !! till you get the score that you think are impossible
thats how the big guns do JUST they dont have as many ( :twisted: ) mullies as you prolly had to take
Hope this makes sense...
O
OHNONO

Postby sgt_cook on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:13 am

Trust us when we tell you Roy is just that good. I've been playing on and off since donks and have marveled at Roys weekly handy work.
sgt_cook

Postby Freefaller on Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:58 am

ymbc = You Must Be Cheating
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:28 am

the use of the qualifier "statistically" must be precise, and generally involves a large field of numbers. generalizations cannot be made when discussing one particular round, and exceptional performances by definition violate statistical expectations.

when a stud player is hitting mostly wedge approaches or chip approaches because of very short tees, his statistical deviation +/- around the flag at windy (where in 2k3 the wind only blows the max less than 50% of the time) is going to be a lot lower than 30 feet even if he misses by a half a dot, and he will be allowing for any miss. breezer's score (2nd place) is pretty [censored] good, but apparently not food for comment. as i remarked, roy's score is an above average effort, even for him, but for those of us who have long experience, not beyond belief. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Footwedge on Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 am

I think ya all must be exagerrating about his snap being a tad off because if u miss a snap by even a hair outside 10 feet on the putt u miss unless you have misread the putt. I know cause it costs me at least 5 strokes a round on elite and champ. It's the most frustrating thing..lol

DI
Footwedge

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 pm

Footwedge wrote:I think ya all must be exagerrating about his snap being a tad off because if u miss a snap by even a hair outside 10 feet on the putt u miss unless you have misread the putt. I know cause it costs me at least 5 strokes a round on elite and champ. It's the most frustrating thing..lol

DI

Trouble is.........they're talking about pro
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Stew_Pidazzle on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:49 pm

He doesnt want a new PC the meter will be too fast.
Most of his "advantage" comes with using a super old and hence super slow PC and hence super slow swing meter.
I wouldnt trade my new PC in for a few more snaps....but some peoples priorities are different than mine. Links is his life, period.
You can tell the lifers...just read the forum at LSTour when the conds for LSTour come out a lil late...WOW amazing all the guys that want to start EXACTLY when the rounds start...more links lifers out there than I thought.
Stew_Pidazzle

new PC vs old PC

Postby RR_BlackBart on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:59 am

Actually, years ago when I had a slow machine, I could NEVER hit snap so I adjusted on purpose, as has been pointed out in previous posts. When I got a state of the art PC and video card, everything changed. I was able to hit snap consistently. The only problem that I have is that at my age (60) I have a hard time with putt snap on long putts, especially soft/slow when the meter has to go beyond 11 or more. And that is the case if you miss approach snap in windy. So there is a double penalty. So, I still don't believe -77 in windy..no matter how short the holes are..I'll have to SEE it for myself.
RR_BlackBart

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:49 am

Wow , look what I have been missing as I have never been on this site before :D I just looked at the tourney to remind myself of the courses but fundamentally I don't see windy as getting in the way of good scoring. I feel I can birdie or eagle any hole just the same as in no wind. In a more recent tourney my windy scores beat my no wind scores.
I totally disagree that a slight miss snap will give a 30 foot putt in windy. It can but it doesnt often. A big miss snap maybe or a shot with overswing when the wind has just gone a lot stronger at the last second has that effect. Ole is right to that I do think a little about where the wind could take me with my likley miss snap and allow a bit to compensate.
In the tourney in question the first round was Kap Village and a -19 round I do not see as exceptional. It contained 3 pars which is 3 mistakes i didn't recover from. I must have recovered from a few others as I see I only hit 8 fways.Wessex in round 2 even from forward tees is always tough. My 2 troubles I remember in that round was I played the par 5's badly ( only 3 out of 4 available eagles is not good) and my putting wasn't good. It isn't just about distance from the pin on putting it's about slope. Wessex never seems to give a flat putt and from any distance is very hard indeed and I was well pleased with -15.
My Gleneagles round was in no wind and I would say -20 from middle tees isnt great but quite solid. so after 3 rounds I was doing well but not great. The Mauna round though I did play really well and hit some great shots on reachable par 4's plus holed some great putts I recall.
I did get 2 pars which I remember well. On 1 I went for the green through the trees!! It got through and I had a chip for an eagle which I hit a bit too hard to 7 feet or so and missed a putt I should have holed. On 14 also I tried a silly shot to the green( the plan was to fall 40 yards short and chip on as I always feel a chip could drop in) I hit a tree and it went behind the T. My next shot was some 75 yards away in a nasty rough lie on a massive up slope which somehow I hit to 11 feet and holed a boomerang putt.
Mauna though was the sort of round where its possible to get into chipping range quite often from the T and then the wind hardly comes into the 2nd shot. The key to the score then was getting the T shots right ( + putting ) on the eagle holes. AND playing a windy round is not about taking ages and ages. Yes its a bit slower than no wind but I would still do it in less than 45 minutes.
As for new pc causing me problems I might be finding out sooner rather than later. I am comfortable though that my meter is not slow as I have played on otrhers and I reckon mine might be the fastest I have played on. It's all about getting used to it. Maybe I will start hitting the snap more and improve.
RoyHiggi

Postby terrell on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:09 pm

don't see windy as getting in the way of good scoring? maybe start hitting snap more and improve? roy, don't ever post here again.

(you know i'm just kidding and green with extreme jealousy)
terrell

Previous

Return to Talk About It