What kind of site changs would you like to see?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: What kind of site changs would you like to see?

Postby Hawkeye on Wed May 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Add fade/draw to RTS.

Shawn
Hawkeye

Postby stvn6165 on Wed May 19, 2010 9:21 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Add fade/draw to RTS.

Shawn

yes, i'm all in for that, too.

although without it, im getting much better at the art of the lay-up :lol:
stvn6165

Postby pmgolf on Mon May 24, 2010 3:51 pm

New guy here... I'd like to see a place where we can download recorded round files by player.

Also, so few players play Links now, why have a cut in your tournament? Why discourage anyone from playing? Would having a cut increase demand for your Tournaments? It seems that you would want to do something to increase players interest in playing Tournaments. I say this because I am a relatively newcomer to RTS, and for some time, my scores will be no where near as low as experienced clickers. It will take some time for me to learn the game. The realism of Tournaments with PGA Tour-style cuts would make more sense if you had players knocking down your doors to play in your Tournaments. Personally, I'm more interested in Links Tournament sites surviving!

Pete
pmgolf

Re: Resume Game Capability

Postby gibby on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:41 pm

OnlineGolfer wrote:This indirectly relates to the site. I would like to see a Resume Capability patch. I am sure this has been talked about in the past, but with all the new Browser Golf games allowing a person to Resume, it would be nice to see a download that could allow this in Links 2003. I also believe this would bring more new players to 2K3 as well as retain older players.

O.G.

we do have resume option, 1 then a penalty, it can be adjusted to almost any number, but it's been abused b-4
Common sense and common courtesy two things this world needs more of.
gibby

Postby ErnieB on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 pm

OnlineGolfer wrote:You mean you can actually close the game on a particular hole, be prompted to Save Game then resume later that day or even a couple days later?

Yes.

svgm.jpg
svgm.jpg (19.47 KB) Viewed 11542 times
ErnieB

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:38 pm

OnlineGolfer wrote:That's for an offline game, not a tournament. :(

Well, the reason you can't do it for a tournament game is pretty obvious, isn't it? :shock:
Life Is Good!
Grandpa Bruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971
BruceWallace

Postby stvn6165 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:14 pm

many points being made for a continuation, without penalty, after quitting mid-round.

and points being made for not being able to continue a round, or event, after quitting.

this whole issue is like a "double-edged sword" argument (for me, anyways...):

i can see having the right to continue an event, even if you quit mid round/mid event.
a case in point, for having that right: we've had a few bad thunderstorms here in the 'burgh this week. some even while i was playing an event. it would have been nice to be able to pull out of said event, and resume later, whenever the risk of losing my 'puter, due to a lightning strike, was a non-factor.
yes, i understand that in some cases, you receive a 1 shot penalty for doing so. but you've already lost any good momentum
you've built up quitting mid-round- if you have a great round going. so why have that extra shot tacked on, on top of that?

i can also see the right to be DQ'ed after quitting an event.
before i came here to lspn, or links2003, i was very much into the ea sports/tiger woods deal. and been so, for many years.
but the biggest turn-off, among other things, was the ability to play a tournament as many times as you want, until you feel happy about the score you post, is to your liking that score.
let me emphasize that- THE SCORE YOU POST, IS TO YOU'RE LIKING THAT SCORE.
which means, you can play an event, or tourney, all day. as many times as you want. then, whenever you get the score you want, then you sign your card.
which is ridiculous. many players just kept playing an event until they finally got the scores down to where they wanted them. then they posted. and that's how players with less than 25 rounds played, were out-shooting players, with over 150 rounds played (like me), and shooting 20 below- what everyone else was shooting.
because the rounds didn't count- until you signed the scorecard.

so that's why i feel the system isn't broken, as much as it seems, to a lot of players. but that's just me.
i can accept it either way. resume play, with, or without penalty, or be DQ'ed.

it's too bad any system gets abused, one way, or the other...
stvn6165

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:19 am

OnlineGolfer wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:
OnlineGolfer wrote:That's for an offline game, not a tournament. :(

Well, the reason you can't do it for a tournament game is pretty obvious, isn't it? :shock:

I mentioned in the original post that Browser Golf allows you to stop the game, then resume where you left off----so what's so obvious? I am talking about the ability to do the same thing in Links 2003. If you can't finish the 18 holes in one sitting, should'nt you be able to stop the game and resume later?

Pretty simple answer I'm looking for here. I think this question has to have been asked time and again since the beginning of Links, hasn't it? I guess because there was never been an upgrade to Links 2003 the source code is not able to be manipulated to allow a stop and resume for tournaments.

After reading my own post, I have the answer--one must finish all 18 holes in one sitting or minimize the game for 8 to 12 hours (or whatever time-out you need) then finish the round.

Ahhh, you are correct sir. 8)

I always assumed this could be used if needed and I suppose I've been fortunate enough not to have a need to try that function in the middle of a provider round. I learned something new today and I agree this would be a handy function, even if it is rarely used.
ErnieB

Postby gibby on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:30 am

It has been mentioned b-4 that some have been able minimize links in both on-line/off-line mode and have come back hours later and continued there rd. I myself have had no success doing this, and have only tried a couple times during on-line play. I've come back to find I was disconnected from the game server and after a few holes continued to not have the leaderboard update my scores.
But I have had success a couple times by just shutting down my computer, yes by just turning the whole thing off (not recommended) then when I power up again I get a message that Links has crashed would you like to continue.
But 1 thing to keep in mind, if you do this during the 1st rd(ONLY 1st RD) it is possible that Links does not save the course in course mgr. So you may need to reinstall the course b-4 resuming. Again only during the 1st rd, Links will save the course after the 1st rd is complete. But the other catch is you can only do this once per event, because the next time it becomes a penalty.
gibby

Postby terrell on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:50 am

it would be interesting to find out from mark if pausing/saving online games is a 'site change you would like to see' type of thing. or if it's a programmatical change out of his control.

personally, i'd love to be able to save online games, and be able to come back to them later. i have quit scads of tournaments simply because i misguesstimated (word?) how much time i had to play a round. dunno how anyone could possibly find fault with doing that, but i'm sure someone would find a way. dunno how anyone could gain an unfair advantage during a tournament by pausing their round, but i'm sure someone would figure it out. (8
terrell

Postby terrell on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 am

OnlineGolfer wrote:Thank you all for your responses. I guess the solution, if there is one is one, is up to the owner of the source code, Mark.

actually, i don't believe mark has anything to do with the links' source code. i believe the actual owner is still take-two interactive. but the question remains whether making saved tournament games is something mark would want to pursue, or able to accomplish.
terrell

Postby gibby on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Think there was mention about someone contacting taketwo about the code and they could not find it :lol: even though they purchased it from Mircosoft.
gibby

Postby Willyrover on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:41 am

A minor site change I would like to see is,
Make the viewing area larger and remove the light blue bands down the left and right side.
If this is done then can we make the league events and the my events columns wider to accomodate longer event names.

Regards

Derek
Willyrover

Postby AJMatthews on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:55 am

I would like to have a way to easily compare your stats with like playing others. My ideal interface would have you be able to select swing type, level (A/P/C/E), chall (or not), <50 or >50 rounds, etc. then be able to compare your stats to others that play the same way.
AJMatthews

Postby Ronsur on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:22 am

My 2 cents. Stop forcing a drop off the cart path. Let player decide if they want to take free drop.

Offer an un-playable lie. 2 stroke penalty with 2 club lengths. There are places that one can not hit out of. I was 20 yards off the green in tall grass, below a 40 foot rise. After 12 swings and not moving the ball 1 inch left right or forward. I could not go back because of the lake. I just quit the round.

Get rid of the slow roll.. Sitting there watching the ball roll and roll at snal speed is frustrating, taking a minute to roll 25-40 feet is just silly. Speed it up, if I am going to miss a 3 foot put and have the ball roll 40 feet away, just make it happen.

Make windy more realistic, now it's a joke, even the PGA stops play when it gets that windy.

Thank you for keeping the site open. Have a great day

Regards, Ron
Ronsur

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It