What kind of site changs would you like to see?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Re: What kind of site changs would you like to see?

Postby sgt_cook on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Fifth... maybe I'd better be sixth. A fifth is to be drank. :P
sgt_cook

Postby PopEye on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm

:lol: :lol:
I YAM
PopEye

Postby Colin_Rommel on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:36 am

IN "My Leagues" the "Admin" link is so close to the "Resign" link I reckon people could click "Resign" accidentally. I haven't done it yet but might after I've had a few beers ...
Pobody's nerfect.
Colin_Rommel

Postby sdr1234 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:51 am

I would like to be able to play head to head without Ventrilo. I have DL Ventrilo several times and cannot get it to work. The tournaments have too many "challenging" conditions which are unrealistic in my opinion. WGT has got it going on at the moment.Although Links is still a good game, it has not kept up with the times and is losing it's luster.
sdr1234

Postby Obelix on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 am

sdr1234 wrote:I would like to be able to play head to head without Ventrilo. I have DL Ventrilo several times and cannot get it to work. The tournaments have too many "challenging" conditions which are unrealistic in my opinion. WGT has got it going on at the moment.Although Links is still a good game, it has not kept up with the times and is losing it's luster.

There is no need to go to game ranger or ventrillo. Direct Connection allows you to play head to head, I have been doing so for quite a while. We use Skype, ordinary conversation for a twosome, or conference call for three or more. It is pretty efficient. There is even the possibility to play lspn tourneys as a multiplayer mode. Two or more can be playing at the same time on line in any tourney. All you have to do is find some partners and go at it.

Need more info let me know

Robert
Obelix

Postby Hawkeye on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:00 am

I'd like to see the swing types seperated again. At champ and elite, RTS players have too much of an advantage with accuracy tee to green over clickers and PS'ers.

Shawn
Hawkeye

Postby Colin_Rommel on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:37 am

Mark there's an ongoing thread as I write about bad pins at Banff in the CLSC this week.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6323&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Here's a post I made there about how conditions are displayed here at the site atm ...

Colin_Rommel wrote:An odd thing about custom pins (ie pins that have been specifically selected to suit challenging) is that in the LSPN conditions here on the site they show as "random" pins, even when "custom" pins has been selected in the event setup menu and the pin numbers have been manually typed in. If the pins are just "easy" "moderate" or "difficult" and selected by the LSPN computer they don't show as "random" at all, but "easy" "moderate" or "difficult."

I wonder if Mark could change the program so that the hand-picked custom pins show as "custom?" (And the computer selected ones could show as "random easy," random moderate" or "random difficult?")

Please see the other thread as well for comments about that, cheers.
Pobody's nerfect.
Colin_Rommel

Postby Michael Jensen on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 am

For the sake of the tour in the long run I propose 2 changes.
1)
There are too many tournaments to choose from. Right now there are 68 tournaments to choose from and that is without counting the leagues. Normally choice is a good thing, but I believe we are approaching a situation where it is counterproductive to the continued life of the tour. There are two negative aspects of too many tournaments relative to players. One, it waters down the competition and two it dilutes the sense of community. The two elements that justifies an online tour. Without competition and community we might as well play virtual tournaments offline by ourselves.
For the 6 official tours I suggest cutting them down to 3. Which ones could be determined by vote, since everybody has their own favorites and we would never agree through argument.
For the leagues I suggest they only run one tournament a week. I don’t mean this as an on attack league owners, I just think comprehensive shadow tours of a tour that is itself a shadow of its former self is not good for the main tour. I’m of the opinion that the health of the main tour should come first.
Limit the amount of arcade events per player to setup to 1 per week and limit amount of arcade events to play to 1 per week. There are so many arcade events that instead of acting like a gateway to the actual tour, the arcade is parasitic in nature instead. There’s no inducement to become a paying member and support the site because the arcade have enough to offer for free.

2)
The huge course list here is a great boon and I love that we get new courses added continually. However, the quality of the courses varies a lot. I suggest dividing the course list into an A and B tier. Where the A list gets a lot more “air play” in the official events than the B list. One easy way to divide the courses into two groups could be to go by the user ratings at Links Corner. For example all courses above 3.5 or 3.75 or maybe 4.0 could be an A course and the rest B.
Michael Jensen

Postby stvn6165 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:21 am

Michael Jensen wrote:For the sake of the tour in the long run I propose 2 changes.
1)
There are too many tournaments to choose from. Right now there are 68 tournaments to choose from and that is without counting the leagues. Normally choice is a good thing, but I believe we are approaching a situation where it is counterproductive to the continued life of the tour. There are two negative aspects of too many tournaments relative to players. One, it waters down the competition and two it dilutes the sense of community. The two elements that justifies an online tour. Without competition and community we might as well play virtual tournaments offline by ourselves.
For the 6 official tours I suggest cutting them down to 3. Which ones could be determined by vote, since everybody has their own favorites and we would never agree through argument.
For the leagues I suggest they only run one tournament a week. I don’t mean this as an on attack league owners, I just think comprehensive shadow tours of a tour that is itself a shadow of its former self is not good for the main tour. I’m of the opinion that the health of the main tour should come first.
Limit the amount of arcade events per player to setup to 1 per week and limit amount of arcade events to play to 1 per week. There are so many arcade events that instead of acting like a gateway to the actual tour, the arcade is parasitic in nature instead. There’s no inducement to become a paying member and support the site because the arcade have enough to offer for free.

2)
The huge course list here is a great boon and I love that we get new courses added continually. However, the quality of the courses varies a lot. I suggest dividing the course list into an A and B tier. Where the A list gets a lot more “air play” in the official events than the B list. One easy way to divide the courses into two groups could be to go by the user ratings at Links Corner. For example all courses above 3.5 or 3.75 or maybe 4.0 could be an A course and the rest B.

i, for one, totally agree with what you have proposed. there is a 'dilution' factor going on, no doubt.

but to cut down the official tourney list from 6, down to 3, wouldn't be fair to the players who choose to play champ, or, elite.
the way it sits now, the majority of players here are participating in ammy, and pro events, 1.05 & 1.07 versions.
if that would go up for a poll vote, the champ/elite players would have NO SAY in what would result from such an action. the majority would rule, and as a result, the champ/elite players would give up on participating in a losing cause. and, subsequently, move on from lspn, and find another avenue for pc golf -jmho...
my personal take on that- i'd leave that alone -again, jmho.

i am guilty of setting arcade events, but your point 'strikes home' for me, so i will not set any more. i set them, as maybe to attract players to lspn, and my league.
but that's not the case...WHY BUY THE MILK WHEN THE COW IS FREE?
i totally agree that the arcade events are not helpful to lspn, or any league owners in lspn, and that they are being "parasitic".

------a very good point on course ratings. i played the waialae 'sony open' yesterday. there was no hole preveiw available, whatsoever. you click on the 'hole preveiw' link (in the links taskbar), and that's the message you got. so that alone, should give that course a 'b' rating, instead of an 'a' rating. and that makes your argument stronger on having courses in an "A" or "B" list here.

it's not totally the course designer at fault here: when i was playing waialae for pins, i never gave it a thought, to clicking on the 'hole preveiw' icon, myself.
i can see how that happened; it has to be hard enough to design a course for links2003, let alone, lay it out there for links2003 golf...
stvn6165

Postby Michael Jensen on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:10 am

stvn6165 wrote:i, for one, totally agree with what you have proposed. there is a 'dilution' factor going on, no doubt.

but to cut down the official tourney list from 6, down to 3, wouldn't be fair to the players who choose to play champ, or, elite.
the way it sits now, the majority of players here are participating in ammy, and pro events, 1.05 & 1.07 versions.
if that would go up for a poll vote, the champ/elite players would have NO SAY in what would result from such an action. the majority would rule, and as a result, the champ/elite players would give up on participating in a losing cause. and, subsequently, move on from lspn, and find another avenue for pc golf -jmho...
my personal take on that- i'd leave that alone -again, jmho.

I think you misunderstand me. Right now there are 6 series: plsa, clsc, raw, stbl, flth and hcap. I was suggesting removing half of those, but that would still leave 3 series each with a amateur/pro/champ/elite tournament. Hcap is of a special case.
It's not possible in practice to consolidate across difficulty level or 1.05/1.07, but we could limit the tournaments within each of those 4 levels.
Last edited by Michael Jensen on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Jensen

Postby PopEye on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:53 am

Call me a rebel (lol) then but I will continue to set up my one rnd tourney. In fact, I wish there were more one rounders to play. Most peeps play the whole rnd regardless of how bad they play instead of abandoning the rnd which in m/o I see whey to much of. There are times with my work schedule I am hard pressed to start a tourney I might not finish, and I hate not finishing a rnd. So bring on some more 1rounders please. Different strokes for different folks :)
I YAM
PopEye

Postby Michael Jensen on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:56 am

lspn could also make arcade events available to tour members only. This would force pure arcade players to join the tour, and therefore likely also increase the numbers in the official events.
Michael Jensen

Postby GoBucks on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 am

Michael Jensen wrote:lspn could also make arcade events available to tour members only. This would force pure arcade players to join the tour, and therefore likely also increase the numbers in the official events.

Or force them to go elsewhere, perhaps.
No matter where you go, there you are!
GoBucks

Postby Michael Jensen on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am

GoBucks wrote:
Michael Jensen wrote:lspn could also make arcade events available to tour members only. This would force pure arcade players to join the tour, and therefore likely also increase the numbers in the official events.

Or force them to go elsewhere, perhaps.

no loss then
Michael Jensen

Postby PopEye on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 am

I would be curious as to what the moderators views on this thread would be.
I YAM
PopEye

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It