9TH @ edgbaston

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

9TH @ edgbaston

Postby Footwedge on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:34 am

Not sure if anybody has had this happen to them here or anywhere else. Teeing off on the 9th hole at edgbaston I had it set for a hook against the wind. Hit a nice snap and the ball went almost directly backward along the ground. I didnt here anything but checked replay several times thinking there might of been an invisible tree or somthing and i missed the sound but nope. Ball went backwards str8 from the tee. Dont know if this was a game glitch or course /hole glitch but ive never seen it. Of course I came unravelled after this for the next few holes which I know is my fault. It was painful tho :?
Footwedge

Postby Westview on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:04 am

Must have been a weird glitch. :?
The nearest tree is 40 yds ahead of the tee box, on the left side of the fairway.
Hope it doesn't happen to me. :shock:
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby SteveFr on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:11 am

Any chance you set up close to the tee-marker? On some courses these are solid objects, Unlike the old courses where the ball just passes straight through.
SteveFr

Postby brokenclub on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:31 am

Maybe is was the worst duck hook ever recorded
brokenclub

Postby Fraser on Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:44 pm

I had that happen to me on one round, except it went sideways about 70 yards or so. I assume I hit the tee marker. At least it landed on the fairway of a different hole!!
Fraser

Postby djwoods10 on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:21 am

there seems to be a lot of things happening with this course
just play and have fun - don
djwoods10

Postby Vibes on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Same thing happened to me on the 17th par 5
I assumed i had hit the tee marker as I moved hard to the left, cost me a bogie on that hole
Cheers
Vibes
Vibes

Postby Westview on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Sounds like all of these problems are because of the tee markers. :?
Beware of the tee markers! :shock:

My favorite hole was the par 4 16th. You can land on the green from the tee on all 4 rounds!
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby mercedes on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 pm

It might be tee marker, however there are "invisible" trees on that course. I landed in rough on two different holes and the overview cam showed no trees. When i got to ball, tree right in front of me!!! That is definitely one strange course in many ways.

Scott
If your not the lead dog, the view never changes.
mercedes

Postby SteveFr on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:45 pm

mercedes wrote:It might be tee marker, however there are "invisible" trees on that course. I landed in rough on two different holes and the overview cam showed no trees. When i got to ball, tree right in front of me!!! That is definitely one strange course in many ways.

Scott

I don't think the trees not appearing in the overhead cam is a course issue. I think it is is Links or APCD issue. I don't know the APCD at all but I vaguely remember reading that the shadow attribute determines whether something shows up in the top cam or not. I'm sure someone who does know will correct me if I'm wrong. I know it's something I notice regularly on many courses.

Steve
SteveFr

Postby mercedes on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:25 pm

That's interesting Steve. Maybe I just never noticed on other courses before. Thanks for heads up! When I don't see trees, I always think I got a break, even being in the rough!

Scott
If your not the lead dog, the view never changes.
mercedes

Postby JackRussellTerror on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 pm

djwoods10 wrote:there seems to be a lot of things happening with this course

yep. same here >>>>> moved the ball over to the left on 17th tee right near the T marker. aimed it up the leftside with fade, and thwacked it 1/6. perfect !

nup :evil: it teeted off the T like a topped shot into that creek just in front. was struggling anyway, so spat the dummy :x and requalied for the round all over again :(
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby DennisHarris on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:31 pm

I've played 8 rounds in two different flights without a problem. I've missed fairways and greens moved the ball on the tee and had no problems.

Maybe the answer is be like me ..... do not hit a perfect 12/6 snap in 8 rounds. LMAO!
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Edgbaston Tee Markers

Postby Tresclub on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:01 pm

I went to the first tee in a practice session. Lined up directly behind all four tee markers I could see, starting with the two back tees. Hit a driver, and in every case hit the tee marker, and bounced wildly back and or to the side. Those tee markers at Edgbaston are solid objects.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:37 am

there was another apcd from about three years ago that had the same type of (solid object) tee markers (wellington?), where i learned the hard way. i've given all tee markers some leeway since then. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Next

Return to Talk About It