No votes
Bethpage Black 2006
21%
Esker Field
13%

Total votes : 46

Favourite Course on Offical Tour This Week w/e 8/7

Postby Justin_I on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:43 pm

Last week the three APCD course were clearly favored above the MS courses.

I haven't voted yet myself this week as I have only played the CLSC tour and Flight (Coogans Bluff) to date, going to at least give Esker field a run before voting.

Coogans Bluff is a very nicely done design aesthetically but it does play relatively easily, not too much to challenge a golfer.

Of the MS courses I do enjoy Royal Melbourne, only because it is a good rendition of the real thing, having followed the Big Easy around the Johnnie Walker Classic there on a couple of occasions, playing the course brings back those memories.
Justin_I

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:07 pm

I voted the Judge for 2 reasons

1...played it twice with 3 other linksters in May

2.. Shot -39 a couple of months back in the arcade
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby DennisHarris on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:02 pm

I voted for Congressional because it is the course being played by the PGA Tour. I always enjoy playing the same course as the pro's.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:51 pm

considering that most players have had congressional from long ago, the fact that the esker field apcd has a significant vote should nudge some players to look it over. congressional is a very nice track, but it will be a lot nicer when the apcd upgrade (with the new 10th hole, the old #18 going in the opposite direction) arrives. esker field is a terrific inland irish course by a talented apcd designer with the appropriately modern graphics. coogans bluff is also a superior apcd fictional design. lw

____
Larry_Warrilow

Postby JackRussellTerror on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:48 am

i voted Coogans Bluff.......'cause i think i'm gonna win hehe :lol: :P
Coogans looks :shock: nice visually, generous f'ways, some risk/reward holes, Par5s are good to attack, the fairways/greens are nicely shaped, i feel good playing it.

historical Royal Melbourne and Congressional equal favourites to Coogans too
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:43 am

though i'm a huge fan of the rtj courses, and congressional was terrific, i gave the nod to coogans bluff. the course ate my lunch, and i enjoyed every second of it. in all fairness, i have not played esker field, but john aherne is a terrific designer, so i'm sure it woulda been in the mix.

edit: ok, i played esker field this morning. terrific course! very well done. i kinda figured john aherne would not disappoint.

edit #2: i did wanna mention, i'm also a big fan of bethpage. but i've played that course SO many times...i've probably played that course more than any other in the last six months. i'm a little burned out on it, but it's still a great course.
terrell

Postby BionicWolf on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 am

Coogans fer sure...
FIRST time I've led a flight...oh GREAT now I jinxed it...sigh-
Keep the fire...and by all means, SHINE ON
BionicWolf

Postby Justin_I on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:37 pm

terrell wrote:though i'm a huge fan of the rtj courses

edit: ok, i played esker field this morning. terrific course!

One thing I don't like about RTJ is the length of the Par 5's, I prefer more of a risk reward challenge than just pure length... a 600m+ hole is just a par 4 with an extra tee shot, with no chance to reach in two and no risk on the third approach shot. I'm sure this will be a point that has some differing opinions but just my 2 cents.

I finally voted Esker... bit more of a challenge course than Coogans...

Justin
Justin_I

Postby terrell on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:18 am

i kinduv agree, justin. i think my affinity for rtj courses comes from playing the rtj trail (alabama) irl several times. jackrussellterror mentioned the risk/reward aspect, and i think that's the greatest mark of a golf course.
terrell

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:32 am

I am not bothered much by the way a course looks and will tend to vote for tough courses. Congressional was a good test but my vote goes for RTJ Judge. Long holes , tricky fairways and very challenging greens.
RoyHiggi

Postby tryandtyoneon on Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 am

terrell wrote:i kinduv agree, justin. i think my affinity for rtj courses comes from playing the rtj trail (alabama) irl several times. jackrussellterror mentioned the risk/reward aspect, and i think that's the greatest mark of a golf course.

Did ya get a chance to play Cambrian when you were there??.............that was tough!!
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby terrell on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:27 am

tryandtyoneon wrote:Did ya get a chance to play Cambrian when you were there??.............that was tough!!

yep. we've played cambrian ridge 3 times, but i'm not sure if we've gotten all the 9's in yet. there are several, i'll check my scorecards when i get home. i can tell ya right now it's been pretty ugly down there.

i did have a career round at hampton cove (between huntsville and guntersville)...once. the starter sat there watching us tee off, and i luckily striped one down the middle. then he proceeded to follow us for the next 9 holes (doesn't bother my swing, but it's kinda unnerving going to the cooler very often). so that made me try to play a little smarter than usual, rather than blasting away.

alabama is a fantastic golf destination anywhere ya go.
terrell

Return to Talk About It