No Hole

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

No Hole

Postby Dr_Dave on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:07 am

Now this was strange, I looked from every angle there was no hole. Adds a little excitement to the putt. :D

Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby terrell on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 am

kinda like me playing raw with no grid. it's an adventure. i've had that happen a coupla times also. didja sink it?
terrell

Postby DennisHarris on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 am

Looked like every green I played last night. There just wasn't a cup on any of them. So you ain't alone Dave.

I have a disappearing hole on several course's I play. I figure its due to my old FX5200 256mb graphic card and or computer. Guess its more than just my old machine/graphics card.

Did you make the put is the important question?
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby SteveFr on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:57 pm

From the read me. It's a 'box of death' issue

"Some other words about the “Kurland problem” :

You will see that no statistics are available and despite a huge testing, some cups may disappear some times. This is due to the fact that I awkwardly chose the “non regulation fairways” option while begining the design. This is the cause of some silly things and I discovered the whole story when the design was too far advanced to come back. I was next to give up, but I continued for me first, and I found it was not too much a handicap for a release. I hope you will forgive me those annoying points and that they do not deprive you of the pleasure to play the course"
SteveFr

Postby Harpo on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:23 pm

One reason this happen's is when a designer plants a hole and then comes back and raises or lowers some spots on the green to give it some slope. The hole acually ends up lower than the putting surface. All the designer needs to do is reselect that hole and delete it and then add another hole at that spot.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Dr_Dave on Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:36 pm

Yes I did make the putt, but man was it strange to adjust break (although little) to something that wasn't there. Thank you Steve and Jim for your replies regarding the design. I always find that stuff interesting. Usually Andy (CooolHandAndy) is a good source for designer questions, but since he will be away from Links for the next 5 years (when his daughter starts school) :) I will have to depend on others for this expertise.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby gibby on Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:04 pm

you have no idea about how many things I could add to this(no hole) that would get me expelled from this forum but I'll keep it all to myself.
gibby

Return to Talk About It