Rankings Format

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:55 am

actually, terry's remarks were more along the lines of daring me to show up at an am event, thus hopefully proving that a veteran champ player may be a total [censored] at am. that may be true but i doubt it.

i had to go to my latin dictionary for that last bit by terrell. the technical level of discourse here has definitely risen, even if the overall logic has a long way to go. lw

_________
Larry_Warrilow

Postby terrell on Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:14 am

on the one hand, i think it would be interesting to see if we could actually break the magical -100 mark. but the mind-numbing attempt would be excruciating. interestingly, i sometimes find myself envious of the level of competition ammy/pro gets. it would be terrific if champ had the same following.

abeunt studia in mores - my boss actually used it the other day. i just borrowed it. i hope i used it correctly. (8
terrell

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:07 am

LOL!
ErnieB

Postby Pas11 on Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:33 pm

Maybe this week, we can find you an ammy starter course Larry!!! :lol:
NO WIND :D
Terry
Pas11

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:04 am

terrell wrote:on the one hand, i think it would be interesting to see if we could actually break the magical -100 mark. but the mind-numbing attempt would be excruciating. interestingly, i sometimes find myself envious of the level of competition ammy/pro gets. it would be terrific if champ had the same following.

abeunt studia in mores - my boss actually used it the other day. i just borrowed it. i hope i used it correctly. (8

Don't put yourself through it Terrell, your tree hitting, grass whacking, pond plunking, OB format you play in is the pinnacle of excitement, no need to give up all that for a dull boring ammy tournament. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby KCJammer on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:12 am

terrell wrote:abeunt studia in mores - my boss actually used it the other day. i just borrowed it. i hope i used it correctly. (8

If this becomes the next buzzword in meetings, I swear I'm quitting my job.

I still struggle with "off message" ...

which is kinda like "off-topic" ...

which is kinda like this post. :wink:
KCJammer

Postby terrell on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:27 am

KCJammer wrote:
terrell wrote:abeunt studia in mores - my boss actually used it the other day. i just borrowed it. i hope i used it correctly. (8

If this becomes the next buzzword in meetings, I swear I'm quitting my job.

no worries, kc. she's a penn state engineering grad, and they're all kinda 'out there'. she looks at me like 'you poor, poor thing. g.i. bill. state college.' it's a wonder i don't develop some kinda complexion.
terrell

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:31 am

Penn State is a state college. Maybe her look is right on target then...He He!
:shock: The "complexion" is from the "stare at the screen" exposure your skin is taking. Perhaps some computer screen "ray -block" lotion will prevent the problem in the future. If you actually leave the keyboard and get outside, I recommend the 30 SPF for lighter "complexions" like yours. Oh wait, did you mean "complex"? My bad, only a state school engineering degree here, sorry.
GoOoOoO Minutemen!!!
LaMa_2k6

Postby terrell on Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am

yeah?! well, an eagle can claw the eyes out of a minuteman. and i got an honorary engineering degree (two year) in refuse collection. top that!
terrell

Postby ErnieB on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:56 pm

I went to a two week golf camp so I could practice my putz! :P
ErnieB

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:04 am

doc, at champ most of us aren't hitting many shots OB, into ponds, caroming off trees, or gouging huge gouts of grass out of the rough. it's actually a subtle game of planning. if you are an average player, you hope for the best, but plan for somewhat less, just as in real life.

those of us who have played for many years usually have found a level (or two) that they find the most entertaining. there is no other criteria for choosing a level than that. all difficulty levels are equally valid arenas of competition, and have their own idiosyncratic requirements for scoring. i can't speak for terrell, but i don't play am, not because i think it's too easy and beneath me, but because the playing parameters just don't entertain me in the way champ does. and that's no knock on am and its many satisfied players. lw

Postby terrell on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:18 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:i can't speak for terrell, but i don't play am, not because i think it's too easy and beneath me, but because the playing parameters just don't entertain me in the way champ does. and that's no knock on am and its many satisfied players. lw

actually, i've never even tried amateur. i did try pro when links 2001 first came out. i remember being -7 after 5 holes, and thinking, this is excruciating. i couldn't miss a fairway or green, even though i couldn't hit a 12/6 if my life depended on it. different strokes (pun there somewhere) for different folks. (8
terrell

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:06 am

Funny...that's what they say about Tiger Woods ..."it's too easy", then they try Expert level, and say "it's too hard" and go back to the birdie-fest that is Links.

LoL
LaMa_2k6

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:22 am

TA, aint no birdie fest at links champ for us average rankers at most venues. tiger's ea game is fine for the kids, but not much for the real connoisseurs at whatever equivalent links level. lw
Last edited by Larry_Warrilow on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Warrilow

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:29 am

LoL ..I know that it's not technically at the level of Links...I play plenty of Champ, MOD, Elite, etc...but the expert level on TW was just as difficult as champ level Links, if not more...the point was it's funny that people whined that TW was so easy...when it isn't. People just avoid change at all costs.
The knock on TW was it's "cartoonish feel".
Obviously I agree since I still play Links...If TW were a better game, well, I'd play that.
LaMa_2k6

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It