I know this is new...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

I know this is new...

Postby DemonUK on Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:52 am

..but I seem to have problems every which way.

Because I wasn't sure of the router ports I DMZ my PC. Earlier I joined a game as a spectator, but didn't have the course, so I assumed I wouldn't have a problem. in the future. I have tried to host a game, but 3 people failed to connect. Just tried to join a game and got connection failed.

As I said I know this is new but I am getting extrememly frustrated as it is not clear whether it is my problem or someone elses. As I said I have opened all the ports, directplay is unblocked, can someone please help.
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:17 am

Hello demon,

I'm assuming that since you couldn't host or join, it is your problem.Have you played head to head before using matchmaker?

It could be many things. Do you have links as an exception in your firewall settings.Your router needs to be configured to allow someone else to join.....or to allow you to join.

If you want we can meet in chat so we can get you up and running.

Lemme know,

Murray
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby DemonUK on Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:32 pm

Nope I did join successfully. Their game had started and I was allowed to join as a spectator, however as I did not have the course it just left me at the start screen in Links and was chatting away to the players. I assume if I had the course they were using I would have been able to watch and even play. When i tried to host the others said they had got connection failure, but it was their first time as well.

So I have doubts as every port is now open when I try this, I am off to try again.
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Postby DemonUK on Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:36 am

OK, I have joined and played a game without any problems. I do DMZ my PC to enable this to work though :)

Could my problem with hosting be this. My cable internet provider gives me an IP when I am connected. The cable modem goes into my router which in turn provides IPs for 3 connections in the house which will bear no relation to my providers assigned IP. Could it be that the IP sent in the file to the players is incorrect and thus cannot be seen.

Any suggestions welcome.
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:06 am

Hi demon,

It sounds like you are connecting through "direct connection" and not matchmaker.

The ip to give other players is not the one your router provides.

Try here http://www.ipchicken.com/ IPchicken will give you the correct ip that you need to forward to other players when playing direct connection

Have you tried to host or join with matchmaker?
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby DemonUK on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:12 am

I joined a game through matchmaker, without a problem. I couldn't host a game with matchmaker even though I DMZ my PC. Sorry I thought I had explained myself. I have made an assumption that the file to be run each time provide the appropriate ip details.

So to save confusion:-

In my router my PC is put into DMZ

Go to matchmaker and can join and play a game no problem.

Go to matchmaker and try and host, and no one can connect. However I appreciate that may be their problem and not mine.

Now with the setup explained here and in previous posts on this thread is there anything I can do to check whether it is my problem or the joiners.

ie I WAS using matchmaker, looks like I made an incorrect assumption regarding the file that needs to be run each time
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Postby mark on Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi Demon,

Yes, that file needs to be run everytime and does provide the IP details. I would suggest getting together with someone who has been able to successfully join another game using the Match Maker to see if that is the problem or not.

Also, some people have pointed out that if the host's machine takes too long to start Links, the others may not be able to connect. I plan on adding a delay to help that problem. However, tell your clients to wait a moment before clicking Launch from their end.

Mark
mark

Postby Tresclub on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:02 pm

Demon, I just launched and joined games with no problems (after I remembered to approved the downloads). Be glad to hook up with you anytime that works for both of us.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby DemonUK on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:52 pm

Obviously I could get by, by just joining games and never hosting, but I'd just like to get it to work. I will however try the delay tactics suggested next time I have time. Thanks all for your help to date.
The Scream Of The Demon
Theres Evil About
DemonUK

Return to Talk About It