Suggestion

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Suggestion

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Mark,

I ran a phpBB forum so I my suggestion comes with experience. I understand there may be times for a moderator to interact, but locking a topic that was not started by a couple guys having a harmless verbal fistacuff hardly seems fair to the topic starter or the dialog that has transpired.

Why not add another forum like Talk About It, Lobby Games, Status, etc. and call it The Pub. By doing this a moderator can move dialog there or tell the guys involved to take it to the Pub. By doing this players can blow off a little steam and not interfere with main stream dialog. You could even put red text under The Pub that reads Enter At Your Own Risk. At least give it some thought it's very easy to maintain and may even provide some entertainment. :D

Most of the time limited audience is the best way to end an argument.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby GDI_Coyote on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:35 am

I like it.....1st round is on me boys!
GDI_Coyote

Re: Suggestion

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:49 am

Dr_Dave wrote:Hi Mark,

I ran a phpBB forum so I my suggestion comes with experience. I understand there may be times for a moderator to interact, but locking a topic that was not started by a couple guys having a harmless verbal fistacuff hardly seems fair to the topic starter or the dialog that has transpired.

Why not add another forum like Talk About It, Lobby Games, Status, etc. and call it The Pub. By doing this a moderator can move dialog there or tell the guys involved to take it to the Pub. By doing this players can blow off a little steam and not interfere with main stream dialog. You could even put red text under The Pub that reads Enter At Your Own Risk. At least give it some thought it's very easy to maintain and may even provide some entertainment. :D

Most of the time limited audience is the best way to end an argument.

Exactly. Creating a forum for this would not limit the audience, it would increase it. Better would have been to delete the offending posts instead of locking the thread, but Links Tour forum past performance has shown how much more unappealing that is than locking the thread.
ErnieB

Postby Dr_Dave on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:04 am

quote: Exactly. Creating a forum for this would not limit the audience, it would increase it.

It has never been done here so that's only speculation. But in either case what would it hurt? All sports have disagreements among competitors that get far uglier than anything here that's for sure. At least here it's cyber and for the most part harmless. It's not like the suggestion can't be undone Ernie.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby terrell on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:12 am

i disagree. bruce has demonstrated time and again to be the best moderator we've ever had. and that's including mark and dc. i have great respect for anyone with ideas. nothing wrong with that. but until someone demonstrates the ability to moderate more effectively, bruce has my support, whether i agree with him or not (usually not, but then i realize he does a much better job than i could possibly do).
terrell

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:26 am

on the other hand, an interesting thread dealing with substantive issues that gets hijacked by a hairpulling contest would better be served by post deletions. i think we can trust bruce to make that distinction. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:quote: Exactly. Creating a forum for this would not limit the audience, it would increase it.

It has never been done here so that's only speculation. But in either case what would it hurt? All sports have disagreements among competitors that get far uglier than anything here that's for sure. At least here it's cyber and for the most part harmless. It's not like the suggestion can't be undone Ernie.

You are right Dave, yet even after being locked, it spills over to other threads. I see no reason to believe what is posted in one thread (or a different forum from another time :wink:) doesn't get rehashed over and over again.

I say give this a try, as you state, it can always be undone.
ErnieB

Postby Cheezer on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:34 pm

Bruce block this thread. BAHAHAHAHA
Cheezer

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 am

It's LOCK this thread not BLOCK it you cheeze head!! Oooops I may have done it now. :shock: BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Bruce Bo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:24 am

I agree with you Dave.. :o

i should have deleted the threads instead of locking the entire topic.. i'll see i can undo that :)
as for the suggestion of an alerternate location to allow a 'pub' like atmosphere, thats Mark's call.

i'll see what he has to say about it~
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks Bruce, keep in mind this suggestion has nothing to do with your ability to moderate, it simply gives you an additional tool and the players a place to spar if need be. It's kind of like a bouncer saying "Take it outside boys" :wink:

It worked fine in the forum I was administering. Although we had very few problems, The Pub provided some entertaining stuff. Trash talk, great adult jokes, cool pics, gags etc. etc.

Just a suggestion, you guys are running the show and doing a fine job may I add. :D
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Bruce Bo on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 am

Dr_Dave wrote:Thanks Bruce, keep in mind this suggestion has nothing to do with your ability to moderate, it simply gives you an additional tool and the players a place to spar if need be. It's kind of like a bouncer saying "Take it outside boys" :wink:

It worked fine in the forum I was administering. Although we had very few problems, The Pub provided some entertaining stuff. Trash talk, great adult jokes, cool pics, gags etc. etc.

i appreciate that "Doc" and took it as intended :) a suggestion. i really was on the line with locking that thread or not. i believe in letting things air out, as long as it doenst get nasty - but you know how quickly something can be misinterpreted, and so then i feel nipping it in the bud is the better choice.

anyway, you know all that ;) having run a forum~

just hate to see feelings get hurt, over a sim 'golf' game, when so much real world stuff is bad enough.
Bruce Bo
Forum Moderator

LinksOnlineLeague Admin
Bruce Bo
Site Admin

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:13 am

Hmm...although I think people do need a place to vent I'm not sure a new forum is the right place. I really want to keep cussing, adult jokes, etc, out of the site. It's just a standard that I'm trying to keep. If you really want to bash, tell jokes, etc, I would say PM eachother.

I think Bruce is doing an awesome job as a moderator and definitely has the right judgement for the type of atmosphere I'd like to see around here.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:49 am

Certainly respect your wishes Mark. Case closed.... :D
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby NewGuy on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:23 pm

I think you should leave it like it is.
You know some of you guys are pretty boring!!
You need some excitement once in awhile :D
NewGuy

Next

Return to Talk About It