Stableford Events?

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Westview on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:27 pm

tryandtyoneon wrote:
ErnieB wrote:Just a quick question to those who don't want p2p's as official events, would this also include the older (LS) courses, which are also "p2p" courses? :shock:

no.....they're "PAID" to play :roll:

Exactly! The old LS courses are "official" Links courses that were advertised and packaged as such.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Please Don't

Postby MasterMontgomery on Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Ernie please don't try to tell me how to spend my money.
I made a donation to the tour. And i have played around 5 years
on this tour without you telling me how to do it.

Doug :wink:
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby gibby on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:12 pm

If we are going to pay for courses to play arcade events they should be added to tour events, just like any other course that was added, if you wanted to play in a event and did not have the course it was your choice to skip it and it's your choice not to pay for them.
All the work Tresclub put in to add these courses and now some people don't want Mark to use them in tour events??????
How do you suppose Mark is going to keep course stats if we don't use all the courses that are here.
Total BS, it's a p2p course we can't use that!
Oh! I have to pay for that one, nope take that off the list.
gibby

Postby Dr_Dave on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:25 pm

I agree with gibby, we paid for M$ courses then, sometimes more than once, what is wrong with paying for some beautiful designed courses now? Play what's ever available, if a person chooses not tee it up, that is their decision.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Justin_I on Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:48 am

Uh oh, I agree with Dr_D... personal choice... same as windy rounds, mod, chipping on greens etc.

I don't eat lobster but I'm not demanding it be excluded from every restaurant menu, just as long as there are some alternatives!
Justin_I

Re: Please Don't

Postby ErnieB on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:48 pm

MasterMontgomery wrote:Ernie please don't try to tell me how to spend my money.
I made a donation to the tour. And i have played around 5 years
on this tour without you telling me how to do it.

Doug :wink:

WOW. :shock: :lol:

.....anyway......

for those who started playing Links Golf after LS2000, the older (LS) courses are P2P and there are a whole lot of people who started playing this tour after LS 2000, that was my point.
ErnieB

Postby IBHackin on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:47 pm

.....anyway......

for those who started playing Links Golf after LS2000, the older (LS) courses are P2P and there are a whole lot of people who started playing this tour after LS 2000, that was my point.

Ernie,this is where I disagree with you. P2P is, I'm paying a designer to get access to his course. You do not pay a designer to get the old LS courses, you pay a previous owner of the relic software. And as I said before, those are the courses that made this great game.
IBHackin

Postby OHNONO on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:48 am

Geez ---- these hackers must be old ........ :D

O
OHNONO

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:01 am

Steve the way I took what Ernie was saying is that if people don't have older courses they have to pay for them in order to play and event and from what I see they are $3.99 apiece. So in a sense that is pay to play. I agree the older courses did make this game great, but some of the actual P2P courses have made this game even greater. We paid for courses then and (if we choose) we pay for some now. To me it's all an investment into a game that I thoroughly enjoy playing for years to come. Besides, if I didn't spend a little money on this game I would just spend it at some bar :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby IBHackin on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:01 am

Dave, I guess in the purest sense, if you don't have the older courses you have to buy them some how. But I think by looking at the standing the people who play here have spoken. In the different levels of the Stableford event the most that are now playing is 10. Compare that with the 60+ playing at Firestone at just one level. I have no problem with the use of P2P in designated events, but not in the PLSA and was very disappointed to find out the stableford had one this week. I saw the line up and was looking forward to playing it. Maybe Mark can make a LSPN Event called P2P. I think the turnout will continue to dissappoint. And I won't buy a course just to play it here, but I will continue to support sites that support designers as a group.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby Cuber on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 am

Dr_Dave wrote:...snip... Besides, if I didn't spend a little money on this game I would just spend it at some bar :wink:

I know spending time (and money) on this hobby of mine/ours is keeping me out of the bar ... and sometimes I think my wife would rather I be at the bar ... at least there I would give her some more of my attention.
May All Your Putts Be Gimmies
Cuber

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:52 am

of the more than 240 courses we now have on the tour course list, only 25 are p2ps. they aren't likely to show up every week for official events, but they do comprise a very choice list of venues which the tour would be poorer for not using as event venues. if a player doesn't want to spend a few bucks, he can skip the infrequent event where a p2p appears. i hadn't used a p2p yet in my weekly arcade event, but the day is coming soon.

interestingly i got my biggest fields whenever i put up an old (not free) LS file. some of the best free apcd venues got yawns.

they've sold a lot of those p2ps, and it would be a shame if they were off-limits for tour play. it's not like they're hard to get. lw

Postby ErnieB on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:05 pm

IBHackin wrote:

.....anyway......

Ernie,this is where I disagree with you. P2P is, I'm paying a designer to get access to his course. You do not pay a designer to get the old LS courses, you pay a previous owner of the relic software. And as I said before, those are the courses that made this great game.

Steve, I agree with your first posted answer to my question and I would have left it at that had Doug not misinterpreted my intention - or maybe he was just having a bad hair day - whatever.

As for the previous owner of the relic (LS) software, well, they didn't want to have anything further to do with us (Links Community) and effectively killed Links Tour for a short time - that's not an entity I (personally) would be interested in paying money to. I'd rather my $3.99 go to someone who has spend a few thousand hours creating a masterpiece rather than spend the $3.99 on a course that by todays below average FREE APCD courses are, as politely as I'm able, hurtful to the eye. It's just my personal preference and not intended to sully your personal preference pard. I do understand where you're coming from.
ErnieB

Postby Dr_Dave on Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:11 am

IBHackin wrote:Dave, I guess in the purest sense, if you don't have the older courses you have to buy them some how. But I think by looking at the standing the people who play here have spoken. In the different levels of the Stableford event the most that are now playing is 10. Compare that with the 60+ playing at Firestone at just one level. I have no problem with the use of P2P in designated events, but not in the PLSA and was very disappointed to find out the stableford had one this week. I saw the line up and was looking forward to playing it. Maybe Mark can make a LSPN Event called P2P. I think the turnout will continue to dissappoint. And I won't buy a course just to play it here, but I will continue to support sites that support designers as a group.

Steve

You are correct Steve, P2P tournaments have small turnouts and that is a shame. It does puzzle me though, because if a company bought LINKS and started selling new courses disks, people would be pre-ordering them. I was usually the first one in the stores when they came out years ago. Oh well, I guess that's just the nature of the beast.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby sgt_cook on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:28 am

While I don't have any of the p2p courses as of yet, I cannot honestly see excluding them from the official tour. As LW pointed out, there are not that many on the official list so they would not show up all that frequently. Those who purchased them should have the opportunity to play them on the tour.

I know this is a touchy subject for many so maybe mark could add a seperate P2P event using all p2p courses for this initial mini season and see how much participation there actually is.
sgt_cook

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It