Bighorn Golf Club v The Canyons at Bighorn

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Bighorn Golf Club v The Canyons at Bighorn

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:50 am

Just out of interest which of these 2 is deemed to be harder? ( I presume there is somewhere to look for this)
RoyHiggi

Postby Tresclub on Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:59 am

Check out this thread... http://www.lspn.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1679

Scroll down 'til you see the scorecards. 'course this is IRL golf. Links is a whole 'nuther game.
"I don't play golf, because when I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it." - Rogers Hornsby
Tresclub

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:40 am

Cheers Warren but I read the thread and I am no wiser!! Maybe it's just me but reference to a slope of 139 or 143 or somewhere between 146 and 150 doesn't actually mean anything to me at all :roll: And I couldnt work out what number referred to which course. They both have Bighorn in the title?

Is it the higher the " slope " the harder the course? Why is it called slope ?

And anyway back to the question which of the 2 courses is deemed harder on Links?
RoyHiggi

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 am

Before I research this for you Roy, I need to know if your question about which course is tougher pertains to you or the average Links player. :?
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:41 am

roy, slope (in real life) refers to a linear graph charting the differences in average score between scratch players up to and including 90 (roughly 18 handicapper) players. the steeper the slope of this graph, the tougher the course is for all players. a slope in the 140s in real life is a ferocious course indeed. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Vibes on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi Roy
Personally I think the Canyons course is harder, but then again I have played Bighorn more often than Canyons.
Cheers
Vibes
Vibes

Postby IBHackin on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi Roy,
I too think overall the Canyons course it tougher. But there are a few hole in the old LS version of Bighorn that rank real high in difficulty.

Steve
IBHackin

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks guys. I too would say the Canyons course is the tougher so that is why I was interested to see how the ratings came out.

Dave that would be an interesting aspect too to see if the course ratings differed much between all different levels of players.
RoyHiggi

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 pm

QUOTE: "I too would say the Canyons course is the tougher"

:shock: :cry: ....... and i'm about to tee off in rd 3 at Canyons hey :cry: OH DEAR !! lol

can't remember Canyons, but its been about 4 years (???) since i thwacked one around Bighorn LS, and it was a pleasure to play this course again. some holes there are a piece of cake, some just downright EVIL :twisted:

8)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby BruceWallace on Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:01 pm

For whatever reason, since I first played Bighorn, years ago, it has always been a difficult course for me.

I find that the Canyons course is a little easier for me. I have no clue why. Maybe because of the approach shot distances and the clubs that I am more comfortable with.
BruceWallace

Postby JackRussellTerror on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm

the Canyons is definitely easier :D :D

8)
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:31 pm

while i can't quote any cross level stats to back up my opinion at this time, my guess would be that every course's difficulty rating would be proportionately the same at each level. that is, while the actual stroke difference at each level resulting from a rating multiplier for each course will probably be different in every case at each level, i would be surprised if the proportionate difficulty multiplier isn't identical for each course at each level. lw

________
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:31 pm

roys own numbers at champ this week, considering the conditions, don't seem to leave much difference in difficulty between the two courses. my own experience as an average champ player is that the mountain course has more places to wreck your score if you hit an occassional very poor shot, but it also has more opportunities for a very low score if you are on your game. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby SE_BlackBeard on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:16 pm

BLOODY HELL THAT WAS SOME TOUGH EVENTS! ROY YOU NEED TO MAKE A FEW MORE PARS LIKE US NORMAL PLAYERS, GREAT SHOOTING DUDE!

JUST CURIOUS WHY IS IT THAT YOU SHOOT PERFECT ON THESE TOURS AND YOU LEAVE SOME OPENINGS IN H2H MATCHES WHEN I'VE PLAYED YOU IN THE PAST?
SE_BlackBeard

Postby SE_BlackBeard on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:18 pm

OH BACK TO THIS TOPIC, YAYE I'D SAY THE BIGHORN HAD TOUGHER GREENS, SEEMED LIKE EVERY HOLE I HAD A NASTY BENDER. CANYONS WAS NO PEICE OF CAKE EITHER, BUT THE GREENS SEEMED A LITTLE FLATTER TO ME OUT THERE.
SE_BlackBeard

Next

Return to Talk About It