Champ Frustration

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Champ Frustration

Postby Chip_Jett on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:42 am

Any helpful hints on how to work the sandtraps in champ? I play it like the other levels for the most part because of lack of experience. I hit the shot it goes nowhere , then on the very next shot hit it the same way and it comes out like it should of the first time. Traps and dropzones the only flaws i see in the game.
Chip_Jett

Postby canuck on Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:59 am

When i play champ, i carry around a rabbits foot and a horse shoe.
canuck

Postby Chip_Jett on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:24 am

sounds about right :lol:
Chip_Jett

Postby lstucz on Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:27 am

When I play at Champ level, I spend way too much time on the beach, lol. I see the same problem as your finding. If you hit a perfect snap or even a hair later, all you do is whif.

I have been having a little better luck by trying to hit my sand shots just a little bit early.
Lou
lstucz

Postby Westview on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:03 pm

In fairway bunkers, I find the most important thing is to hit the 5 oclock sand snap.
You can choose whatever club you want, but if you miss that snap it won't even be near the distance you want.

Assuming you hit the snap dead on...2 clubs up should do it. 8)
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby brokenclub on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:40 pm

in champ mode. sand shots like any other shot, the snap is critical
brokenclub

Postby lstouradmin on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:27 pm

Would you guys consider this a bug in Links 2003 (too sensitive?) or does it just make champ mode more challenging? Also, does it play the same in Elite?

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby Westview on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:51 pm

lstouradmin wrote:Would you guys consider this a bug in Links 2003 (too sensitive?) or does it just make champ mode more challenging? Also, does it play the same in Elite?

Mark

I'm ok with it Mark. It's all part of the Champ experience.
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby lstucz on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:09 pm

I don't know if I would say that it is too sensitive. What I do notice is that there seems to be (on my machine, anyway) an imbalance in the sensitivity when playing Champ. Seems like the same imbalance no matter where I am located when swinging (tee, sand, fairway or rough).

If I swing a half needle early there is little effect on my shot. However, if I swing a half needle late the shot automatically slices. I think this same problem is just more noticeable in the sand, where a late swing turns into a whiffed shot which stays right where it lies.

I have wondered if it was me, or a bug in the game. Curious what most other Champ players experience. I am just starting to get into the Champ level. Haven't tried Elite.
Lou
lstucz

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:04 pm

lstouradmin wrote:Would you guys consider this a bug in Links 2003 (too sensitive?) or does it just make champ mode more challenging? Also, does it play the same in Elite?

Mark

I don't do well at hitting long, from a fairway bunker, even if I hit the sand snap. But I wouldn't change it, Mark. It is part of the champ game.
BruceWallace

Postby terrell on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:08 pm

Mark

aaaccckkk! there's no bug, and don't let anyone presume there is. please don't dumb down champ.
terrell

Postby ErnieB on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Sorry, it's a bug. When you miss the 6:00 snap at Champ or Elite, there is a chance you will lose some distance as well as direction. The more you miss the snap, the more likely (and more severe) the distance penalty. For some reason, it appears the game is considering the 5:00 sand snap as a severely missed 6:00 and adjust the distance accordingly.

Just my own personal observations due to the fact with my snap, I'm in bunkers quite often. :oops:
Last edited by ErnieB on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnieB

Postby Chip_Jett on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:23 pm

I guess i should have been more explicid. I was talking about greenside bunker play. In pro and ammy i don't get the wiff on the sandshot.......ever. But in champ it happens alot. more then maybe it should. If i could change it i would, only to make it like the other levels of pro and ammy . As far as fairway bunker play is concerned its not realistic in the sense of distance on a perfect snap but its something that can be dealt with.
Chip_Jett

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:52 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:I guess i should have been more explicid. I was talking about greenside bunker play. In pro and ammy i don't get the wiff on the sandshot.......ever. But in champ it happens alot. more then maybe it should. If i could change it i would, only to make it like the other levels of pro and ammy . As far as fairway bunker play is concerned its not realistic in the sense of distance on a perfect snap but its something that can be dealt with.

Greenside is fairly easy.........use the top snap for power/distance and hit just before the 6 oclock snap on the way down
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby canuck on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:40 pm

Chip_Jett wrote:I guess i should have been more explicid. I was talking about greenside bunker play. In pro and ammy i don't get the wiff on the sandshot.......ever. But in champ it happens alot. more then maybe it should. If i could change it i would, only to make it like the other levels of pro and ammy . As far as fairway bunker play is concerned its not realistic in the sense of distance on a perfect snap but its something that can be dealt with.

where on the meter are you trying to hit snap?
canuck

Next

Return to Talk About It