Docs 100 or BUST 8

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Docs 100 or BUST 8

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed May 30, 2007 10:44 am

FYI - Cheezer, CoolhandAndy and myself played the first round of my Docs 100 or BUST tourney at Awaba Forest. For some reason the designer blocked everything once you get into the rough, so even in the tall grass the ball would hit an invisible wall. Basically there was no way to get out of trouble. He also blocked some of the many trees in your way quite a distance from the tree limbs themselves, so the ball looked like it would hit an invisible object. Anyway, we decided not to finish the tourney and I have deleted that course. I'm a little surprised because it did get some good reviews at Links Corner. Sorry about that, I will create another tourney.
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby ErnieB on Wed May 30, 2007 1:04 pm

How does one end up in the rough at Ammy with 10 mulligans?
:twisted:
ErnieB

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

That's easy Ernie....I S UCK!!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby JoeSmith on Wed May 30, 2007 2:20 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:That's easy Ernie....I S UCK!!

You just need better luck Dave or "divine intervention". Look for me in your tourney since OMPL closed shop.

Joe "ICE_Man"
JoeSmith

Postby Dr_Dave on Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 pm

JoeSmith wrote:
Dr_Dave wrote:That's easy Ernie....I S UCK!!

You just need better luck Dave or "divine intervention". Look for me in your tourney since OMPL closed shop.

Joe "ICE_Man"

Ahhhh, prayer....that is something worth trying Joe. The more the merrier, you'll see some good shooters in these funners, competition galore!! As far as OMPL, I won't comment other than I'm not one bit surprised!!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Re: Docs 100 or BUST 8

Postby BruceWallace on Wed May 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Dr_Dave wrote:FYI - Cheezer, CoolhandAndy and myself played the first round of my Docs 100 or BUST tourney at Awaba Forest. For some reason the designer blocked everything once you get into the rough, so even in the tall grass the ball would hit an invisible wall. Basically there was no way to get out of trouble. He also blocked some of the many trees in your way quite a distance from the tree limbs themselves, so the ball looked like it would hit an invisible object. Anyway, we decided not to finish the tourney and I have deleted that course. I'm a little surprised because it did get some good reviews at Links Corner. Sorry about that, I will create another tourney.

A friend of mine and I played it online, using PS. We both decided to delete the course after 9 holes.
BruceWallace

Postby lstouradmin on Wed May 30, 2007 7:45 pm

Sounds like we should remove it from the tour?

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby jeff1955 on Wed May 30, 2007 11:28 pm

There I was, just on the fairway edge of the fringe, admiring Awaba Forest, decided not to use a mulli for a 100 yd chip into the green, club out of the bag, nice address, wow excellent swing, right on the button top and bottom, ball begins to sail cleanly through the air, CLUNK! the ball hits an invisible tree branch and bounces behind me! There's spooky goings on down in the Forest!!

I vote dump the course!!

Jeff :)
"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes" - Roy Batty
jeff1955

Postby Dr_Dave on Thu May 31, 2007 4:33 am

It has always puzzled me how designers can take so long to make a course and then have it play so unreal.

Check out hole 15 at Kansas National Golf Club from the forward tees. A par 3 where your tee shot hits the overhanging tree no matter where you move on the tee, what's with that? Or courses that have grass growing in front of the tee box that grabs your ball.

Now don't get me wrong, I like tough challenging courses, but when designers revert to trickery that's when I scrap the course!
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 am

while there is a lot of intrusive tree canopy at awaba, i've played real world courses where the management has neglected to trim trees for years that were no more punitive. having played the course several times at champ, and not had the problems described above, might we hold off deleting this course for a short time.

architecturally, if the greens had some more contour, i thought awaba would rank as a well above average track. i've been in plenty of rough at awaba but apparently not at the bad spots. i'll do some practice round rough immersion and see if i can find out if the place is impossible to deal with and report within a week. even some of the old LS tracks have some off-fairway death traps, but are still playable. lw

Postby jeff1955 on Thu May 31, 2007 6:08 am

I think the course looks lovely, there are lots of challenging holes requiring accurate draws and fades. The planting is copious and really well done, the problem isn't with overhanging branches that can be seen, my shot hit a branch when the nearest tree was many yards away, there simply wasn't anything in front or above me but clear air yet the ball clunked solidly into wood and came back. I'm all for planned shots to avoid hazards - that's golf, but you can't plan to avoid something you can't see!

Jeff
jeff1955

Postby terrell on Thu May 31, 2007 6:19 am

jeff1955 wrote:but you can't plan to avoid something you can't see!

i had a similar incident a coupla days ago, where i had a clear shot, but the ball ricocheted behind me off an invisible something (i'll assume tree limb). then i remembered i had cranked down the picture quality for a course that was redrawing slowly. that speeds things up by eliminating some of the 3d objects the graphics card has to draw. but i would imagine the course considers the object still there, even though we choose not to draw it. (8
terrell

Postby jeff1955 on Thu May 31, 2007 7:22 am

Am running a GeForce 5950 Ultra with everything maxed, redraw can be a bit slow but I have checked that all the bells and whistles are set to go. I can't imagine there's anything 'undrawn' in the way of objects on any course - indeed Awaba is the first course I've ever played and had a ricochet off an invisible object. There's plenty of courses where the objects are all too visible and VERY solid, but at least that's down to my bad lol.
jeff1955

Postby terrell on Thu May 31, 2007 7:34 am

kinda figured you had a handle on it, jeff. but for those dripping with noobiness that may not know what the picture quality slider does...

sidenote: turning off shadows and animated flags speeds things up also.
terrell

Postby Dr_Dave on Thu May 31, 2007 8:24 am

terrell wrote:kinda figured you had a handle on it, jeff. but for those dripping with noobiness that may not know what the picture quality slider does...

sidenote: turning off shadows and animated flags speeds things up also.

Holy Smokes T, you better never talk about my posts being lame!! Noobiness and the slider causing undrawn shot blockers???? That is just down right ridiculous!! Talk to some designers and they will tell you what's going on. It all has to do with the designer being lazy. The don't want to take the time to go around objects, so they block them which causes the invisible walls.

But thanks for giving me the chance to slam you for a change. :wink:
Cheers, Dr. Dave
Dr_Dave

Next

Return to Talk About It