Transition to RTS...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Bluenoser on Tue May 22, 2007 7:52 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:when we did a survey of a large number of average players at champ
_______

Link to survey results?
Links - it's not about winning, it's about having fun.
Bluenoser

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 8:33 am

bruce, both steve pitts and myself conducted surveys using different techniques, but our results were almost identical. the stats themselves are probably no longer available, but mark may well have them tucked away someplace.

steve's method was to crunch each difficulty level's stats as a whole over a season, and mine was to use smaller targeted samples, but still over a broad range of rankings and flights at both pro and champ.

at the very highest rankings at each level, there was little overall difference in results whether the rts or click swing type was used, but in individual matchups there could be a pretty big gap on any given day. the studs are so good that they don't readily fall into a finely predictible statistical range like we average players.

as you must have noted, all of my conclusions about click, and rts were based on the ability of average players (85% of all links players fall more or less into the mainstream ability population based on a normal distribution curve). nobody has to believe these conclusions at this late date when the main tour data is no longer available, but the players themselves have been reporting the same results since 2k3 was released. it's the main reason that the tour admin started putting up separate events for each swing type every week, because we could demonstrate the statistical difference in results based on swing type on each level.

if you insist, i may be able to dig up my own raw numbers, but the stats they were based on, to my knowlege, are no longer available. steve pitts, as of a year ago, had a personal web site with some of these results posted among other interesting links facts, but he hasn't played links since the indie site folded. lw

Postby SteveFr on Tue May 22, 2007 8:52 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:steve pitts, as of a year ago, had a personal web site with some of these results posted among other interesting links facts, but he hasn't played links since the indie site folded. lw

It's still there, Larry. Not that I understand one 10th of it. :D

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.pitt ... index.html

Steve
SteveFr

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 9:04 am

steve, steve pitts was a savvy programer who worked up a "spider" algorithm that could crunch an enormous mass of tour stats in short order, and he posted some great expose's of links gamers brazenly exploiting the system, and whereas in my many stat analyses i never called out any member individually, steve named names and a lot of them. lw

Postby RoyHiggi on Wed May 23, 2007 12:59 am

The comparisons will be interesting in the champ tourney at Dubai. Just 1 round shows the RTS player with an advantage of 24 yards further average off the T and the ability to hit 100% fairways and GIR.
Will be an excellent challenge and provide some interesting stats.
RoyHiggi

Postby ErnieB on Wed May 23, 2007 4:52 am

Though I am an average Champ click MOD player (who has had a few good moments on the cyberlinks :) ), a good example of what is being discussed may be found in the MFP Oakland Open, comparing my stats (-16) versus BruceM's stats (-27). I consider Bruce's ability at Champ RTS MOD play as way above average, certainly far above my Champ click MOD abilities. With that in mind, notice the short game stats are virtually even - 99 putts for me, 98 putts for Bruce, sand saves/up and down's are also virtually even (86% & 87%). The main difference can be found in driving accuracy, Bruce hitting 96% fairways versus me hitting 45% in spite of never missing the snap more than a tick or two.

I see the comparisons every week playing in the OWGC where RTSers consistantly dominate the top of the leaderboard. This is not a complaint, merely an observation, an observation which has sent me to the practice range to work on my CHS's, swing tempo, and finding my chipping/putting marks. :lol:
ErnieB

Postby Crissy on Sun May 27, 2007 11:25 pm

I have kind of quit playing Links anymore and moved over to Tiger Woods. Not because the game is any better but its kind of like the old days on the zone with Links and i like to battle one on one like the the way it use to be. Anyway to get back to Links people may not think so but when I was playing RTS even at pro level may scoring average was about -19. And if you really no what your doing even at pro level RTS one can beat most any pro clicker there is. I think I learned the most from the Tiger Woods True Swingers because they dominate the online play and tourneys and there are maybe only 2 or 3 that I would call top of the heap 3 clickers and can clean there clocks. lol

By the way I only 3 click advanced playing Tiger Woods and my scoring average is -19.4 today it can change day to day as they have some stats system over there.

Just my opinion

Crissy
Crissy

Postby Gunners on Tue May 29, 2007 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions/help/info folks...though not as competitive as I'd like to be, I am havin a ball
Gunners

Previous

Return to Talk About It