Transition to RTS...

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Transition to RTS...

Postby Gunners on Sun May 20, 2007 8:18 am

After trying to find drivers that will give me an acceptable (playable) swing meter speed, I've taken up RTS. No, I don't and never will edge! Finsihed an Ammy tournament (stableford) that I would have finished in the 250-260 range previously, my score..144. CHS's are reasonably consistent, driver distance somewhere around 280 Yds. The biggest difference is in the short game... chipping is still a guess and hit affair and the putting is actually not bad, although I bounce alot off the back of the cup. I do have a couple of questions for any RTS's that would like to help.

What's an attainable CHS for Driver?

Any suggestions on chipping and putting??

Thanks
Gunners

Postby Dragonslayer on Sun May 20, 2007 8:58 am

I'm going through the same thing, Gunners. I love to powerstroke but my old machine acts up and I lose control of the mouse at times which is quite furstrating. I don't know why but RTS works very well. Frustration level is cut down to almost nil. Can't help you much on the distances etc. I'm still learning them myself. Have shot minus 10 on a couple of practice rounds but the adjustment is still in the infantcy. Good luck.
Dragonslayer

Postby Dragonslayer on Sun May 20, 2007 9:00 am

....almost forgot. I'm not using an edge either. Seems like that would take the fun out of the game.
Dragonslayer

Postby FixAmer1st on Sun May 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Dragonslayer wrote:....almost forgot. I'm not using an edge either. Seems like that would take the fun out of the game.

If I am not mistaken there was a fix for Edging put in one of the patches. If the game sees a constant straight line swing without any variances it will add random motions to the swing.

I am sure that Mark can verify/refute this when he reads this.

Jerry
My apologies for plagiarizing Mel Brooks but "It’s GOOD to Play Links!"
FixAmer1st

Postby ErnieB on Sun May 20, 2007 2:09 pm

Edging was a myth and is really not necessary. The easiest part of RTS is swinging it straight. Shaping shots is another story. :x
ErnieB

Postby BruceWallace on Sun May 20, 2007 2:10 pm

FixAmer1st wrote:
Dragonslayer wrote:....almost forgot. I'm not using an edge either. Seems like that would take the fun out of the game.

If I am not mistaken there was a fix for Edging put in one of the patches. If the game sees a constant straight line swing without any variances it will add random motions to the swing.

I am sure that Mark can verify/refute this when he reads this.

Jerry

No, there never was any patch for edging. Edging is not needed to get a decent square hit. Practice is the only thing needed.
BruceWallace

Postby Dragonslayer on Sun May 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Shaping is still a mystery that I have yet to unlock. Having a hard enough time getting a feel for the putting and chipping.
Dragonslayer

Postby Firesole on Mon May 21, 2007 12:09 am

1st off..forget shaping..yes, it can be done, but NOT consistently! I've tried and tried..forget it. Good golf=consistency. To all RTSers...as has been stated here...hitting straight is not the problem...it's CHS. Gunners...consistent CHS is verrry difficult to achieve...no matter what club you are hitting...this is where your biggest inconsistency will occur...not in the "snap".
You ask "what's an attainable CHS for driver...my high is around 121.6...my avg is 118...low is 109(poorest of snappies) "suggestions on chipping and putting"...This is where RTS totally outshines click. RTS chip and putt has "feel"....For your chips....try to pick 1 or 2 spots in your backswing and learn their distances...this will start your "feel"....same goes for putting....find a spot(in the backswing) that gives you a certain distance...know it well..and for shorter putts...be short of that spot...longer putts go past that spot...the "feel" of these shots becomes how much shorter or longer you believe you may need to succeed. gl and welcome to RTS. AND no...there is no "fix" for edgers. Every now and then I'll play an edge game to check my mouse and see if non edged CHS speeds are up to par. Which they never seem to be. It's hard to get consistent CHS w/o an edge, but oh so much more fun. (and fair I may add) IMHO,,,to edge is to cheat. I can't find the words mulligan or gimmie in the rule book either.

peace
Firesole

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon May 21, 2007 12:42 am

I feel in a slightly controversial mood I guess but on putting and chipping on RTS the answer is as Firesole says pick spots on the backswing and learn their distances. So if you have 15 foot or 25 foot putt you will know where to take the backswing too. Similarly on chipping you find spots on the backswing to hit the distance you want.
Sounds exactly like putting and chipping for clicking to me!!!!!!!!! On click you work out what dot to hit for a given distance and on RTS you find the relavant spot on the bar to achieve the same thing. Sure as hell what I found when I played RTS anyway.
RoyHiggi

Postby GDI_Coyote on Mon May 21, 2007 5:05 am

I rarely hit 100% shots but can move the ball left or right at will.It isn't as consistant when hitting irons,so i normally just use those shots off the tee.For a draw,i hold the mouse at about a 5 oclock position.For the fade it's around a 7 oclock.Chipping,i use a 5 iron a lot when near the green because the feel is like putting.A full up l/w chip on a flat green m/m is good for 22-24 yds depending on CHS.A full up s/w chip is good for 30-33 yds under the same conditions.

On a side note...9 times out of ten,if you see someone hitting 120+ chs off the tee all the time,it's probably edging :twisted:

Gl and hf with it,

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Postby Mick on Mon May 21, 2007 5:33 am

Nobody would ever admit to edging...let's face it. But that doesnt mean people dont do it.

Missile
Mick

Postby HeavySwinger on Mon May 21, 2007 6:24 pm

GDI_Coyote wrote:I rarely hit 100% shots but can move the ball left or right at will.It isn't as consistant when hitting irons,so i normally just use those shots off the tee.For a draw,i hold the mouse at about a 5 oclock position.For the fade it's around a 7 oclock.Chipping,i use a 5 iron a lot when near the green because the feel is like putting.A full up l/w chip on a flat green m/m is good for 22-24 yds depending on CHS.A full up s/w chip is good for 30-33 yds under the same conditions.

On a side note...9 times out of ten,if you see someone hitting 120+ chs off the tee all the time,it's probably edging :twisted:

Gl and hf with it,

Steve

Wow, you would think after all these years of playing RTS I would have known that edging improves CHS :?: :!: I always thought edging was to help you hit straight, which I've never had any problem with if my mouse is adjusted properly. So I never did any edging, so I guess I'm clueless about this. I am really surprised about all this though, because my experience is CHS improves with tempo and not so much on how straight you swing. I does seem that my shaped shots have less than maximum CHS though. Most of my "fades" were done to take a little distance off and make it land softer, but I didn't think CHS was the reason. Maybe I'm wrong? :roll:
Larry
HeavySwinger

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 3:23 am

all the above veteran remarks about rts being a more consistently straight game (especially at champ and elite) are correct. when we did a survey of a large number of average players at champ, the average rts guys had a very real advantage in length and fairways hit, and recoveries from fairway traps. however, the average champ clickers had an advantage around the green. at pro, the average clickers had an advantage over the average rtsers in every catagory. lw

_______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby OHNONO on Tue May 22, 2007 4:52 am

..hmmm ....
I personally compare ammy click to rts pro or even champ ( which somehow is more easy)!!??
Just my 5 cent.

O

( know im off topic , but others raised this)
OHNONO

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 5:24 am

rts pro, for the average player, is significantly tougher than pro click. the reverse is true for champ. am is the wild wild west: the parameters are canceled out in so many ways that we never examined them, but my guess would be that the clickers have a significant advantage, probably more than at pro. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Next

Return to Talk About It