Launcher sending a different IP

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:31 am

Hello Mark. First I would like to say thank you very much for all your hard work creating this new lobby it is much appreciated. My question is. A friend of mine could connect to the old zone host and launch without any problem. He can join a game in this excelent new lobby ok but he can not host a game. We discovered after many trials and errors that the join text file is sending a different IP address than the one he has showing in the direct connect window in his game therefore we are unable to find his computer with the text file having the wrong IP. We think it must have something to do with his internet provider but are not sure.As I said it worked ok in the old zone is there any kind of fix we can do in his internet connection that might fix this. Thank you Daniel
IGA__TeeShot

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:39 am

The launcher is getting the ip address from his ISP. Now, if he's behind a router he'll have to open up the directplay ports and perhaps do some port forwarding.

The Zone software may have done that automatically.

Mark
lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby lstouradmin on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 am

lstouradmin
Site Admin

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:11 pm

I am very sorry Mark I missed it. Thank you very much for your reply.Daniel
IGA__TeeShot

Postby mark on Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:51 pm

I'm also looking into a problem that could be related. If you're behind a proxy server the match maker is getting the wrong ip.

Mark
mark

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:34 am

Hi Mark thank you very much for trying to help much appreciated. My friend is not on a router and he has tried without his firewall on. His ISP seem to use a different IP to the one showing in his direct play launcher. The last number of his IP address is different on the join text file. He tried to get some respons from his ISP but they act dumb about it. We thought there maybe a way round it in his internet options but we aint found it yet cos we both dummies lol when it comes to computers. Any ideas would be very much welcomed. The old zone must have been able to reset this IP some how to the right one. Maybe a piece of code to redirect to right IP. All I can say to you Mark is you sure took on a masive task to keep us linksters in contact with each other and I am sure they would all buy you a pint and a bag of chips if they could meet you well the poor ones would the rich it would be caviar and champain.Once again thank you ever so much.Daniel
IGA__TeeShot

Postby mark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:06 am

What's your friends LSPN username?
mark

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:00 am

Hi Mark his name is IGA_Prince. ( Chris )
IGA__TeeShot

Postby mark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 am

I made a change today, TeeShot. I changed the way I get a user's ip address. Why don't you guys try again.

thanks,

Mark
mark

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Thank you Mark we will give it a try when he comes on line.Thank you ever so much your a star.Daniel
IGA__TeeShot

Postby IGA__TeeShot on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:01 pm

Mark it worked perfect thank you very much. You made use very happy.If I can ever do something for you, do not hesitate to ask.Daniel
IGA__TeeShot

Postby IGA_Prince on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:05 pm

Hiya Mark, whatever you did, it worked :D The I.P. address that was being reported in the join.txt file was very close to the I.P. of my ISP's DHCP Server, not my real I.P. address. I know that the ISP's sometimes use proxy IP's once their clients are on-line, I asked them if they recognised the IP address that was being shown. Bearing in mind it's in a range of their own IP addresses, they denied all knowledge of it, bunch of cowboys ! lol I'm using NTL, or as it's known in in England, NTHell. Anyway, thanks a lot for sorting that out, I owe you one ... bigtime :D :D :D
IGA_Prince

Postby mark on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:31 pm

Yep, it was the proxy ip that was being reported. I changed the way I get IPs and that seemed to do the trick. I'm glad you guys are up and running!

Thanks,

Mark
mark

Return to Talk About It