event history

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

event history

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri May 18, 2007 3:20 am

after 32 weeks of the champ level Invitational no reQ series, a little recognition is due the winners.

1. meresbrook forest shiuchng -43
2. the pinnacle royhiggi -49
3. wagga wagga tim shearer -47
4. black valley cruxis -34
5. spyglass hill giller -51
6. glen abbey T_Shiu -35
7. broken arrow giller -36
8. valderrama giller -45
9. eagle mountain giller -45
10. castle pines giller -42
11. pinehurst #8 giller -53
12. doral blue giller -42
13. big horn (mountain) giller -52
14. oakmont giller -49
15. kauri cliffs giller -56
16. medinah giller -37
17. covered bridge giller -54
18. crandon park giller -49
19. inverness giller -49
20. colonial giller -44
21. merion east giller -55
22. muirfield village giller -29
23. southern hills suzieQ -39
24. quail hollow giller -45
25. olympia fields Wes_C -42
26. edgbaston royhiggi -54
27. druids glen giller -54
28. charleton giller -59
29. royal lytham and st. annes royhiggi -46
30. boat-of-garten giller -47
31. k club TJWall -44
32. dullatur antonine Wes_C -49

this week we're at enniscrone, the last week of an eight week swing through ireland, scotland and england. next week, back to the states for about eight weeks, and then to australia.

thanks for playing guys. lw

Postby Harpo on Fri May 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Enniscrone. Gota love those grasses again.

rough = rough
long grass = rough

I don't think so.
Jim
Harpo

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri May 18, 2007 2:51 pm

Just started the download which it tells me will take 45 minutes ( no not dial up). That rough must be really deep?
RoyHiggi

Postby BruceWallace on Fri May 18, 2007 3:16 pm

JimArmstrong wrote:Enniscrone. Gota love those grasses again.

rough = rough
long grass = rough

I don't think so.

I downloaded it, and installed it. The shadows took about 10 minutes to load, so I thought there were some trees in that part of Ireland.

I was wrong. It was the long grasses, everywhere, that caused the long load. It is a beautiful venue, but I practiced 2 holes and never hit those narrow fairways. It is going to be a fun week of playing.

Thanks, Larry. I am having fun playing Champ. No snap, but I am doing okay. lol
BruceWallace

Postby Harpo on Fri May 18, 2007 6:04 pm

Same here Bruce. The shadows took a long time. I never had shadows turned on until lately as they look nice but may turn them back off for a few courses and this would be one of them if I was going to play it.
Jim
Harpo

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Fri May 18, 2007 10:43 pm

i should have mentioned the long installation time of shadow files at enniscrone. the designer (stewart parker) says to go get your mail, make some coffee etc., and by then it will be done. after the initial installation, the file loads and renders normally. the large shadow file is the result of the use of custom long grasses, and the results are really cool.

i'm not having any more luck hitting those narrow fairways than anyone else, but the designer (who has played the course irl) swears that the fairway widths are accurate (i have photos of ballybunion and they look very similar). as far as how the rough plays, i admit i'm guessing along with everybody else. the greens are terrific pieces of work, and like the previous six weeks, i have chosen each of the 72 hole locations individually.

stewart was also the designer of boat-of-garten, and charleton. he was the original 2k1 designer of dullatur antonine, of which paul seaman did the great 2k3 update. the previous seven courses were all real world inland courses of ireland, scotland and england, but i thought enniscrone (an irish linksland track) was so distinctive, that it had to be included on this trip.

good luck on the windy day, we're going to need it. lw

Postby terrell on Sat May 19, 2007 4:37 am

i played enniscrone in the are these new to you too 2 mod tournament. i've put up some pretty huge numbers, which doesn't phase me at all, but the wait time for screen draws was excruciating. i came a hair of abandoning the tournament and not entering this one. so i turned off shadows and animated flags, and cranked the picture quality down to about half, and the rounds i played here were a lot faster.

the shot you get while the course is loading should give you some idea of the fairways/roughs at enniscrone. looks like the guy is hacking out of tall grass, on a slope over his head! this could be much funner irl!!!
terrell

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun May 20, 2007 1:47 am

Second attempt at downloading wasn't bad at all but I am with T on the screen rendering time :( It does the test the patience bigtime and I play with no shadows anyway. A 25 minute round turned into 50 and I was forever thinking I was heading for an error message.
On the rough question I do like the idea of rough not playing consistently so there is even greater emphasis on fairways and course management. I walked to the T on 18 really pleased I hadn't had a bogey and of the course the next T shot went off into the sea :D
RoyHiggi

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 am

i let all the bells and whistles run, and while i agree that the rendering is somewhat longer than usual, i take 45 minutes to play a typical tour round anyway. while admittedly i myself am a very patient player, enniscrone is well worth the wait for experienced players even if they are used to zooming through rounds. i agree with roy about the rough. it's supposed to be unpredictable. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby loduca_16 on Tue May 22, 2007 4:03 am

To tell you the truth I was a little lost when I saw all the events here now. But now I know of at least one that I can play :-).
loduca_16

Return to Talk About It