John Deere Pro

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

John Deere Pro

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:10 am

Tough chase after Harpo put in 4 very consistent rounds and happy to get to a tie in the end. Fun along the way after a weak first round I got lucky in the 2nd round to get in contention. Solid 3rd to stay just one behind and then onto the 4th. Does anyone else have a 4 iron in their bag?

Good start on the first 2 holes but then my 4 iron let me down on the par 3. Miss snap , difficult putt not good enough so a par meaning perfection from now on and even then a long par 5 into wind needed to be eagled. Got to the next par 5 into win and the pin tucked near the front but with water very close. I had 284 to the pin. Go for it or not. 3w offnsap or big overswing on a 2w?

I tried the offsnap in the previous round and bottled it way left and was lucky to get birdie from nearly 50 yards! So i decided to try the 2w. Adjusted the stance to as far back foot as possible and needed minumum wind with a touch of right to left. Also knew if I did miss snap it had to be early not late. Overswung and nailed it to 14 feet. Not too easy a putt but should be holed so I chose that time to under hit the putt and finish an inch short. [censored]!!

Same sort of thing on the par 5 17th. Again nailed the 2W, back in the stance, into a little breeze, and got another 14 footer but thankfully less break and managed that one for the tie
RoyHiggi

Re: John Deere Pro

Postby Harpo on Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:49 am

Nice last round under the pressure Roy. I knew I had to have a perfect last round and had a mental laps on the one par 3. I knew that the only par 5 I could eagle was the first one. I got lucky in the 3rd round to reach the 17th in two for a rare eagle. Also, I would have been out of it early after the second round if I didn't have 3 hole outs in the last 4 holes. So you do use the off snap 3w. :)
Jim
Harpo

Re: John Deere Pro

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:23 am

Harpo wrote:Nice last round under the pressure Roy. I knew I had to have a perfect last round and had a mental laps on the one par 3. I knew that the only par 5 I could eagle was the first one. I got lucky in the 3rd round to reach the 17th in two for a rare eagle. Also, I would have been out of it early after the second round if I didn't have 3 hole outs in the last 4 holes. So you do use the off snap 3w. :)

I do use it yes. It might only "come off" once in 10 or even more but its great when it works. Far too risky though with water as close as the 17th.
Got one right earlier in the Canyon's event I aimed maybe 105 yards left of the pin. No great science in . i just look at the pin and plonk the aiming marker wherever it feels about right given the slopes and the wind. Sadly missed the putt.
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It