PLSA (Carey Park)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA (Carey Park)

Postby GoesForIt on Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 am

From the ridiculous (Chapultepec) to the sublime (this week). A bit self-indulgent on my part. I played this course as a member of the Hutchinson High School and Junior College golf team as a kid... and everyday in the summer. Back then there were no bunkers and no watering system other than for the greens. Winter rules all year around because by August a good part of the course was a sand trap. The clubhouse then was from back near WWII and smelled of sweat a mildew. The only golf carts were privately owned.

They've made some really nice upgrades to the course over the years... clubhouse, watering system, carts and cart paths. I've been back to play it on a few HS reunions.

I will say, there is a pin position (not contrived) on every hole that if used could add 6-10 strokes to your score... not unfair, but pretty bendy.

When I play Champ Moderate(C)/Fast(C), I set -10 as par. So you all enjoy this week.

P.S. "Carey" Park. Howard J. Carey thought there was oil in Hutchinson... but when he drilled for it, he hit salt... thus the Carey Salt Company was formed. Been mining it since. Because of its near perfect temperature and humidity, the abandoned shafts have become a repository for important artifacts

http://www.careysalt.com/history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strataca
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA (Carey Park)

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu May 21, 2020 8:34 am

Is the course really as flat as the Links version?
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu May 21, 2020 9:04 am

It's KANSAS Roy!!!!!!!

There is a ridge that runs through #6 tee, #3 green and down in between #4 and #5 fairway. Another ridge between #13 and #18 (you'll notice #13 tee is elevated somewhat and you have to hit blind on #18. A bit of a ridge between #5 and #7 fairway also.
Beyond that, it's pretty much pancake flat.

I know this course like the back of my hand and I took maybe 200-300 photos in 1995 at my 30th HS Reunion. Maybe another hundred in 2015 at my 50th.
Attachments
CP.JPG
CP.JPG (114.21 KB) Viewed 4246 times
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 am

GoesForIt wrote:It's KANSAS Roy!!!!!!!

There is a ridge that runs through #6 tee, #3 green and down in between #4 and #5 fairway. Another ridge between #13 and #18 (you'll notice #13 tee is elevated somewhat and you have to hit blind on #18. A bit of a ridge between #5 and #7 fairway also.
Beyond that, it's pretty much pancake flat.

I know this course like the back of my hand and I took maybe 200-300 photos in 1995 at my 30th HS Reunion. Maybe another hundred in 2015 at my 50th.

:lol: :lol: My knowledge of Kansas is diddly squat sorry. Can't say I noticed any ridges either, or elevated T's or blind T shots. That's me playing pro I guess. Plant the marker somehwhere about middle and whack it and no looking at the scenery :lol:
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 am

RoyHiggi wrote:
:lol: :lol: My knowledge of Kansas is diddly squat sorry. Can't say I noticed any ridges either, or elevated T's or blind T shots. That's me playing pro I guess. Plant the marker somehwhere about middle and whack it and no looking at the scenery :lol:

Next time you play notice on #18 you cannot see the green from the tee.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Thu May 21, 2020 11:44 am

GoesForIt wrote:
RoyHiggi wrote:

Next time you play notice on #18 you cannot see the green from the tee.

You are of course correct. But you can drive relatively close to it with the right wind. Didn't help too much though as I missed the green with my approach :oops:
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Tue May 26, 2020 2:30 am

Might be the flattest fairways around but I can still manage to miss 8 greens in regulation :oops:
RoyHiggi

Return to Talk About It