Coronavirus

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Coronavirus

Postby Mississippi on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:02 am

As a community i would wager that 90% of us fall into the highest risk range.

It appears China greatly mislead the world on the death rate in Wuhan after seeing cremation urn photos. Italy seems to be our real 1st view of the death rate if late and that view is frightening, South Korea's more encouraging. Take care Links Community. Stay home as much as possible until the infection rate in your area hits zero and stays there for 7-10 days.

In the States we are being asked to stay home till May, could be longer who knows. That brings me to Links tour tourneys...tourney triggers seem to be a bit out of whack, the flights are scheduled but haven't loaded in 3 weeks, the plsa which has been erratic since before the pandemic shows no future. The handicap is doubtful for next week as the the 1st 3 rounds show no course, the week after looks fine. The classic tour looks good to go as far as the schedule goes out. So at least we will have one.

Hopefully league tour directors and arcade tourney makers will fill the void.

Unspoken is the knowledge that this terrible pandemic, that probably could have been isolated, has in all likelihood infected links headquarters. I pray Mark and his family are safe and are just hunkering down like the rest of us and he doesn't have access to the server.

Wash those hands, give space, and hit em straight everyone.
Mississippi

Re: Coronavirus

Postby Blade on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 am

I believe Mark logged into LSPN on Friday 27th March, so he is around, although nothing is being sorted.
Blade

Postby Adelade on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Keep in mind the rates vary a lot from country to country mostly due to there being many infected without being registered officially as such, because of lack of tests. If it was known the actual number of infected, rates would go way down in the highest rate countries, and go down basically everywhere because no country (except perhaps Norway and Korea) have come any close to testing the majority of infected. There are other factors for Italy too that makes it less likely for most other countries to hit as high rates, such as relatively old population and the spreading going on within health- and eldercare very early on. Also the fact that the hospitals couldnt even close to keep up but that part can of course be the case elsewhere too... Im not trying to say theres nothing to worry about, just cautioning against getting too worried because of reported Italy rates.

Postby rwoodworkr on Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:47 pm

The county that I live in has a little more than 100,000 people, and we have only 8 confirmed cases. They are only testing people with symptoms, so who knows how many are actually infected. Nevertheless, we feel fortunate to have so few confirmed cases in a county with an area a bit more than 5000 square miles. Everyone still practicing social distancing and non-essential businesses closed, so hoping things reverse soon. My wife is very high risk (over 65 and type 1 diabetic), so we're being super careful. My daughter-in-law and some other family members are nurses, and I worry about them, but also have the utmost respect for them carrying on with their work.
rwoodworkr

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm

so much unknown re the numbers infected and also the actual number of deaths caused by the virus so far in the UK. I hear the number we have been told only covers those who have died in hospital and more accurate figures are expected soon.

Sadly I have just heard of the death of somebody I knew personally.

Stay safe everone
RoyHiggi

Postby JackRussellTerror on Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 pm

RoyHiggi wrote:Sadly I have just heard of the death of somebody I knew personally.
Stay safe everone

am sorry to hear Roy

In Australia, as at 6:30am on 31 March 2020, there have been 4,359 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 266 new cases since 6:30am yesterday. There have been (about) 18 deaths to date ...RIP !

"the curve" is starting to "flatten" .....very promising !

"funnee" thing, in Australia last year in 2019, there were about 900 DEATHS from the 'ordinary' yearly flu ........and media/society don't bat an eyelid !

from midnight last night, no more than 2 gathering socially outside the home, but a family living in the same household may gather outside even if that means 5, 8 or whatever. Social Distance of 1.5 meters apply. Contravening those rules is a $AUD 1,000 fine to EACH !

those aged over 70 are strongly recommended to self-isolate in their homes and stay there - except for needy shopping. Food, Doctors, Chemists.

those over 60 with a current medical condition are to follow the recommendations of those above 70 - i'm in this group with chronic obstructice airways disease (COAD). I certainly would hate to get this virus !

we will all get thru this ............it will end one day soon ! our Parents and Grandparents got thru the Great Depression and WW2

our Prime Minister Scot Morrison (ScoMo) - i feel is doing a wonderful job with his leadership.

yes as Roy says "stay safe everyone".......
https://www.youtube.com/@rob262
https://webcamsydney.com/
Rob
the Links Tour 1998 ------> 2024 --------->
"mmmmmmm ......birdie num num !"
JackRussellTerror

Return to Talk About It