Muirfield Village

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Muirfield Village

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:58 pm

i had an inkling that muirfield village (2003) was going to be an interesting challenge, and even though it was set up no tougher than the previous 21 venues, it looks like it will end up being the toughest champ venue by far. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby terrell on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:05 pm

i dunno about toughest, but i just noticed round 3 was windy. and giller shot 70 for the 4th round. that's just scary.
terrell

Postby Al_Frescoe on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:14 am

Round 3 was a nightmare, no doubt about it
Al_Frescoe

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:01 pm

Quite fancied this challenge but....
Well basically I wasn't up to it. I had been playing this other golf game and decided late Monday night to leave that as the server was playing up and do Muirfield. I have come str8 into Links a few times and played ok even if it takes a good few holes to get back into it but this was different. I had actually forgotten what to do :oops: I play the 3 click game but on the first T I forgot the second click. Bogey was good.
And for all the first 7 holes I was completely lost. Couldnt hit a snap , was letting go well before the top for power. Very strange and clearly not worth carrying on when it was all taken out of my hands when the game crashed. It offerred me a resume ( I didnt think we had those anymore ) but when I got to the green again I got the same crash .
I think I had better play pro when I try this again and not after a day playing the other game with its completely different swing and timing. ( I think I should post the crash in the teccy but but a shame I couldnt have a go at Giller on this one.
RoyHiggi

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:14 am

i knew the windy day (round three) was going to be tough so i moved the tees up for the first time ever. was +4 myself in round two and only missed one fairway. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 pm

interestingly, having gouged my way through the windy round at +2, we see another case of weirdness on this site when totals revolve around even par. my total after two rounds was -2, my third round was +2, yet my +/- on the board after round 3 shows -2, when it should be E (even par). however, the total stroke column is correct. the scoreboard in the game was equally incorrect.

the fact that even par registers as "0" may have a lot to do with these odd incorrect +/- totals. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Roughrider on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:35 pm

Let me tell you that Muirfield (2003) is the toughest test in Links, I believe. Thats at pro can just imagine what its like in Champ. It would prob. make me murderous if not worse. lol.
RR
Roughrider

Postby TIG__Ripper on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:07 am

"toughest" is perhaps an exaggeration...it's definitely difficult...tough drives and tough approaches, and brutal greens. Augusta, Colonial, Kansas Natl, Mauna Kea, Prairie Dunes come to mind as comparable or more difficult, to name only a few.
TIG__Ripper

Postby Joe_Girard on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 am

Ahoy tharrrr, me favorite is the hole 14 on Alberta South, sometimes the pin is placed on the back right corner of the hill, it's a painful one!
Joe_Girard

Postby HammaH on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 am

Arrrrgh, a fine call there matey! Ye need a bottle of the best grog to deal with her.
HammaH

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:26 pm

to be clear, the comment should read that muirfield is by far the toughest venue we have played in this champ click level event over the last 22 weeks. that being said, with the exception of augusta national (which hasn't appeared yet), i've played all the rest mentioned above for some time, and at champ they aren't even close.

firestone and then innisbrooke were the two toughest tracks on the old tour at champ click, over a period of three years based on the best winning scores of one of the four stud players, from the back tees with a windy round. -37 was the best 72 hole score at firestone. unless someone betters giller's -29 at muirfield this week, we're looking at a whole order of magnitude increase in difficulty. lw

______
Larry_Warrilow

Postby txTarHeel on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Well, I don't have much experience playing at Champ (I usually stick to Pro), but that was tough. If i could stay out of the bunkers on par-3's I'd be much better off.

---Lonnie
txTarHeel

Postby Giller on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Larry, I think -32 to -40 is a feasible score here under the conditions. Actually doing it is the hard part though. I was only happy with 2 of my 4 rounds and I felt I left a lot of shots out there. That, finding the water 5 times in 4 rounds on those tempting sucker pins, and what seemed like every putt from 4 to 40 feet being some ungodly sidehiller. If you can avoid or overcome those things (I didn't) there are scores to be made.
There are a couple of good looking early scores up there and I have a feeling -29 won't last.
Having said that, there is no doubt in my mind that this one has been the toughest test by far and no less enjoyable for it.
Keep 'em comin'.
Giller

Postby terrell on Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:42 pm

Giller wrote:Keep 'em comin'.

'second that. (8
terrell

Return to Talk About It