No Grid?? aack!

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby in2bluz on Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:48 am

i never play with grid and i dont even know what pole you guys are referring to lol, but it sounds like it could take the fun out of just playing the round. i didnt like the grid just because it detracted from the beauty of the course and i would rather see the course. i also play at 1600x1200 so if that makes any difference i'm not too sure. for those that use the grid, try it without and you will start seeing and reading the breaks in no time and it becomes more enjoyable as well. i also prefer champ level just because it makes you try harder to hit a good shot. ( i really enjoyed the raw tourneys ). i know that the likelyhood of winning a tourney is pretty remote for me anyway so no grid big deal if you know what i mean. as for no grid tourneys i would appreciate more of them just because it puts me on a more equal plane with others. and champ/no grid/mod sounds pretty cool so if anyone wants to put a few of those up i'm in!! 8)
in2bluz

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:41 am

Too many wussies out there I am afraid to take up the challenge. At least 90% of players only go for easy it's as simple as that.
RoyHiggi

Postby Pappy on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:03 am

RoyHiggi wrote:Too many wussies out there I am afraid to take up the challenge. At least 90% of players only go for easy it's as simple as that.

Unbelievable Roy. In almost all cases you have no idea why people do what they do or play what they play. It's only a game Roy so lighten up and have fun!! Calling those who play below your standards "wussies" is going a bit extreme in my book. Personally there are more important things in life going on out there without being concerned about what level we play Links (or any other dumb computer game for that matter).

Hope you don't mind reading a post by a guy who plays Pro RTS (and who has NO DESIRE to play Champ or Elite - I do play MOD though - you ought to try it Roy)
Pappy (Pete)
Pappy

Postby ranchocucamonga on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:28 am

MEOWWWWW, SCRATCH SCRATCH ,HISS HISS :lol:
"Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."
ranchocucamonga

Postby terrell on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:42 am

lol. i was thinking the same exact thing, rancho. it's always a hoot watching peeps beat each other up over differences in how we enjoy a game. there are those that like to relax, prop the feet up, sip on a frosty, and see how low they can go. or there's those who enjoy a meat grinder every week. different strokes for different folks. it's all good.

edit: and i also enjoy talkin' smack every now and then. doesn't bother me one iota and i never take it personally. bring it.
terrell

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:25 am

it wasn't that long ago, Roy was being scolded for playing in ammy matches, now they, and the people playing them , are beneath him :shock:

I play ammy to relax when I'm by myself, I play champ, usually H2H with a bud, for the entertainment and to know what it's like for par to feel good. Champ is very similar in frustration levels to my IRL game and I wouldn't play that by my self either.

You want tough conds, go check out "Mr tough guy" in the stableford side

Hopefully in Roys eyes, I'm only part wuss, 'cause I live to impress him :roll:
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby BirdieExpress on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:27 am

I've been toying around with no grid and it isn't as impossible as I thought. I still see a lot is left to chance on the greens, but is it a still worthy playing option.

There is a lot to said for the Pro game, there is beauty in how exact you can play the round. I think lots of people get birdie-addicted!! (not that there's anything wrong with that). Whoever said golf is not a game of perfect never played pro-click!

Since coming back to Links a few weeks ago I've been trying to make the move to champ, and I see where that is really a lot of fun and I hope to get competitive at it by the time the site goes "live." Disasters can be found even on the easy holes and if you aren't on your game then a big number can jump up at any time.

To each his own....
BirdieExpress

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:57 am

Hahahaha , It's always good to see exactly where the cap fits. :D

Pappy it's because I do understand why people play the game I said what I said. 90% + of players do not play this game for a real challenge in terms of playing at a challenging level. I think that is true and it is constantly confirmed by the entries in pro and ammy compared to champ and elite and compared to PS also at any level.
RoyHiggi

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:23 am

I was just thinking about it's only a game lighten up :) First of all it should be understood I was talking to in2bluz who was having more champ no grid tourneys. In no way are my comments about how well anyone plays the game ( whether someone can score -30 in ammy or + 30 ) but simply about the desire to take on the more challenging levels. It is I think a fact that most do not play champ never mind elite because its seen as a bit hard for them.

That's fine and precisely what I was saying. For some players hitting a snap isn't easy but for most it's simply because they don't fancy the challenge. The latter I call wussies. Just an opinion because I come from the school of thought that likes a challenge. My snap is far from great ( many who haver played against me will testify to that) but that isn't a reason not to try champ/elite. Many will say the fun isn't there at the harder levels which also is fine and that just means that the challenge part isn't a significant part of why they play the game. For me I want a harder level than elite to come out because I would relish the challenge.

There are more important thing going on blah blah. Well of course there are and I would hope so too but what's that got to do with having an opinion or anything here . I think you have probably seen someone else write that and thought it sounded good.

Pro RTS! Congratulations but I am not sure why you don't go for champ RTS as I have been told by one top player ( and partly agreed with by others) that champ is easier than pro.

As for the mod , well I played a few when it first came out and on sensible courses from what I saw the scoring wasn't far different than the norm but play it on stupid courses and you have a stupid game. I like the game to be as close to real golf as possible ( hence not really ammy and even pro where bad shots are hard to hit) and despite some thoughts to the contary I don't think that the mod is the answer to that. I play very little now here but may have to look at it again in the future if the new tour ever starts.
RoyHiggi

Postby MGT_BlackBeard on Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:46 pm

I am in total agreement with you here Roy, I think very similar to you about this game. There are aot of wussies around here and they know who they are, and always have the excuse of "it's all about fun". Sure a big part about it is fun, but overcoming challeneges is alot more fun I think. I just set up a tourney last week at Rivendell, and there were over 20 or so involved, and I think 3 actually toughed it out and finished! I know there wasn't that many game crashes, rather it was just too difficult for them.
MGT_BlackBeard

Postby ErnieB on Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:22 pm

"I like the game to be as close to real golf as possible" :lol:

I have never shot 49 IRL (or 59, or even 6 9). I've also never been able to play real golf sitting in a recliner with my feet propped up while watching a movie. :roll:

I agree with everything else Roy said. 8)
ErnieB

Postby BruceWallace on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:03 pm

ErnieB wrote:"I like the game to be as close to real golf as possible" :lol:

I have never shot 49 IRL (or 59, or even 6 9). I've also never been able to play real golf sitting in a recliner with my feet propped up while watching a movie. :roll:

I agree with everything else Roy said. 8)

Ernie, you left out "swinging your club with one hand, with a beer in your other hand". :D I prefer to do my Links play, using this method. :wink:
BruceWallace

Postby terrell on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:08 pm

BruceWallace wrote:you left out "swinging your club with one hand, with a beer in your other hand". :D I prefer to do my Links play, using this method. :wink:

actually, i have putted out before with a beer in one hand and the putter in the other. (8
terrell

Postby BruceWallace on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:35 pm

terrell wrote:
BruceWallace wrote:you left out "swinging your club with one hand, with a beer in your other hand". :D I prefer to do my Links play, using this method. :wink:

actually, i have putted out before with a beer in one hand and the putter in the other. (8

LOL, Terrell. Now that is what I call IRL. :)
BruceWallace

Previous

Return to Talk About It