Larry W Tournament

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Westview on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:43 am

I was just talking with Giller in Matchmaker room, and asked him when he plans to play the 4th round because the suspense is killing me. :shock:

He just laughed, so he's making it very hard to watch it live. lol
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby terrell on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:08 am

roy said he played merion east left handed, just to give giller a shot. (8
terrell

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:17 am

lol, the one thing giller hasn't felt in the previous 16 weeks here is some actual pressure. but my guess is that he will rise to the occassion. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Pas11 on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:29 pm

I might enter your tournament just to see if I can break par.
I can't use the driver thou!!
Terry
Pas11

Postby Giller on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 am

Good to see you back playing champ Roy. Excellent closing rounds there.
Pressure Larry? You bet. Especially the little 8 foot slice putt on the last for a one shot lead. Notice I'm not saying for the win because this discussion has already enticed a few more players than usual with some good early rounds and there are more out there capable of winning yet.
It's nice to see champ level getting more of a mention here on the boards apart from the plugs from Larry and Terrell, now if we could only translate that into more of those very good pros taking a shot at it.
Certainly one of the more enjoyable events in a while for me. Keep 'em comin' Larry.
Giller

Postby terrell on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:30 am

incredible finish, giller. congratulations. that's some pretty stout scores from a coupla giants.

and you are very correct. lw knows howto throw a party.

edit: oh yeah, i meant to say, there's maximus and westview lurking down there after two rounds. ya never know...

edit #2: and i had to chuckle when i looked at where i stand. anyone feeling the heat? (8
terrell

Postby Westview on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:31 am

Nice win Giller, I can imagine the last couple of holes were pretty tense. Especially the 17th par 3 with the pin located at the top of a steep incline.

Brave effort by Roy, he had a tough 1st round but the last two were outstanding.

Thanks for the mention Terrell, but in order for me to win this tournament I would have to shoot a "50" in final two rounds. It's possible I guess, but not bloody likely lol.
Westview

Postby RoyHiggi on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:32 am

Well played Col :) If I play more champ hopefully I won't need the range finder first round so with luck might play well :D
RoyHiggi

Postby terrell on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:21 pm

Westview wrote:Thanks for the mention Terrell, but in order for me to win this tournament I would have to shoot a "50" in final two rounds. It's possible I guess, but not bloody likely lol.

all ya need now is a 41. dust off autosnap.exe?
terrell

Postby Westview on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:52 pm

terrell wrote:
Westview wrote:Thanks for the mention Terrell, but in order for me to win this tournament I would have to shoot a "50" in final two rounds. It's possible I guess, but not bloody likely lol.

all ya need now is a 41. dust off autosnap.exe?

Lol yes if I can find it among my other programs like unlimited mulligans.exe and hole finder v1.0

Was lots of fun, and nice to compete with some familliar faces.

Westview

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:25 am

a terrific finish by two of the very best players, and pretty much what i thought they would shoot at merion. interestingly, giller's -44 at colonial last week drew no comments, but might have been one his greatest efforts in all of his wins. now it only remains for we lesser mortals to tidy up and finish at merion.

pas, i hit about two drivers here per round, and have made my share of birdies. you'd think a shorter course like merion would give we shorties a break, but i've made more idiotic bogies here by far than most other places.

the event starting thursday morning will feature a famous real world course that, to my knowledge, has never been featured in a 72 hole tour event, and should be a real test. and the week after might well be tougher. (i plan these things out a few weeks in advance) lw

________
Larry_Warrilow

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:09 am

in answer to westie's query about a theme to these "invitational" events, for those who haven't played them much, this is what you can expect: a champ click plsa style format, 72 holes on one course from the back tees (except for this next week, where windy round tees get moved up a notch), no slow putting surfaces, and at least 50% of the green conditions will be firm. windy rounds only appear about once every three weeks, and players can normally expect to see venues that haven't been played to death, although i have no problem with using some of the old legacy files.

also, there is no reQ, which is in the title of the event, so that every player will know that there hasn't been any tidying up of scores via reQs. the fact that giller has won 17 events in a row without a reQ ought to say something about how the game can be played well and legitimately.

i'd love to be able to pick each individual hole location as on the new test site, but i've put this event up every week for 21 weeks on this site, everybody knows where it is, so i'll keep doing it here instead of the test site unless petitioned by overwhelming demand, which i don't expect. thanks to all for showing up and playing, and i can guarantee that you won't be disappointed in the coming weeks. lw

Last edited by Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Warrilow

Postby terrell on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:28 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:i'd love to be able to pick each individual hole location as on the new test site, but i've put this event up every week for 21 weeks on this site, everybody knows where it is, so i'll keep doing it here instead of the test site unless petitioned by overwhelming demand, which i don't expect. thanks to all for showing up and playing.

no, larry. i vote not to bother with the test site. yeah, warren has probably added more new courses there. submitting scores is lightning fast versus the roll the dice wait here on the main site. you can see competitors' hole-by-hole rounds. and you can pick the pin locations.

but i like the tournament here, that's my story, and i'm sticking to it. (8

edit: oh yeah, i forgot the most important reason not to play on the test site. roy will never be able to find the reg file for the test site (you know i'm just messin' wid ya, roy?).
terrell

Postby KCJammer on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 am

terrell wrote:
edit: oh yeah, i forgot the most important reason not to play on the test site. roy will never be able to find the reg file for the test site (you know i'm just messin' wid ya, roy?).

For as good as he is at the game, Roy seems to be one of those guys who, if you instruct him to exit Windows, you'd better hope he's on the first floor. :lol:

Been following the LW Champ tournies with interest and hope to duke it out for the basement again one day soon. Haven't played in several weeks now as time constraints prevent that for the present. But please save me a spot in the LW clubhouse, if it ever gets built.
KCJammer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:30 pm

kc, once the lspn site becomes fully operational, with plsa, lsch, lstr, and flight events etc, there will be no need for the kind of event that i have been putting up on the arcade each week. however, in the meantime, the champ level players can be confident that most of the conditions of each of these champ events have been tailored to the specific course to the extent possible.

i won't design these events to specifically challenge giller or roy (the tour studs), who will shoot way low no matter what the conditions. rather, i tend to consider the average champ level players (like me) and their highly variable possibilities for success or disaster. interestingly, this approach has still provided some good competition whatever the talent level. and as giller has remarked, there are a lot of talented pro level players that would be scoring low in these champ events if only they would hook up and check it out. lw

PreviousNext

Return to Talk About It