Amateur Rules

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Postby Westview on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:27 pm

RR_Desperado wrote:If some of these people would build mods and play with the game engine could see their way into doing something about the rediculous sand play in champ, it would probably attract more players. It isn`t so much the difficulty one experiences when hitting from a bunker than is frustrating. It`s the inconsistency that drives me to go back to pro .

The key is to not hit in the bunkers. If you're not in the sand, then you don't have to deal with it. :wink:

But seriously...it's an even playing field. Everyone has inconsistencies in the bunker, that's why course management plays more of an important role in Champ. Bunker ahead at 270yds? Hit at 260 yds. :wink: THINK MAN!!!
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Re: Amateur Rules

Postby canuck on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:38 pm

garfran wrote:Right on Desperado. I try to play so that I run short of sand traps from the Tee, but you can't avoid them forever. Any clues on how to improve play from the sand would be highly appreciated.
only thing i find that helps is in champ or elite is if the distance
shows 8iron , go up 2 clubs and hit a 6 iron with the same power. you still need to hit very close to sand snap line.
canuck

Postby Westview on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm

Best thing to do is practice. Start a game with unlimited mullies and hit into the sand. Keep hitting out until you get a good feel of the distance. While in the bunker switch clubs...hit SW and LW at different power dots...practice practice practice...
Nothing can escape the law of Karma
Westview

Postby bob5453 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I haven't played much Links in the last couple of years, I signed up this week and played in the "Fun time EZ" amateur event, results below...

bob5453 -29 61 71 65 58 255 Classic R4 H18

I read this thread and then played in the "Why Not" championship event, results below.....

bob5453 125 109 125 90 86 410 Classic R4 H18

:shock: I have never seen so many sandtraps and I was in the woods half the time too. :lol: Oh well, someone has to bring up the rear. I just got broadband and can finally DL courses without the pain of dialup.
bob5453

Postby RoyHiggi on Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:05 pm

Ok whats all this about sand play? Obviously it pays not to go into sand but i would say 2 things about playing from it.
1) I try to play exactly the same from sand in every mode of play in links. Around the green that will be to hit the bottom snap just vefore 6 oclock. Actually touching the 6 line on the left side but not exactly on it and DEFINITELY NOT just past it. In pro you can get away with hitting even further left from 6 oclock and get very similar results.
In champ I go for precisely the same shot and snap and if I get it right it goes the same distance as it would in pro. If I get alittle to far left of the 6 snap I lose distance and obviously quite a bit left of the 6 snap and I lose loads of distance.
I elite exactly the same!! but the miss penalty is more severe so I try even hardr to hit exactly where i want to.

2) The second point is that for me the fact that there is a penalty for not hitting the shot spot on is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Of course if you dont hit the correct shot ( from sand or anywhere really) the ball shouldn't just end up where you want it. In real golf thats what happens when you get it wrong. Is there anything wrong with that?

Turning to fairway bunkers the shot is fairly routine and it is accepted that it doesnt go quite as far as from a fairway but it isnt rocket science to assess the club needed for any distance and then hit the special sand snap in pro ( 4 oclock or whatever. ) personally I don't know what those distances are from fway sand but just do a rough add 20% or something and pray. ( it really shouldnt happen in pro more than once a blue moon)
So going into champ and elite it gets harder. Well what a suprise! It should get harder and basically I think in champ the perfect sand snap still behaves quite well but miss and watch out. Again I dont see a problem with that , its punishment for going in there and not hitting the perfect shot to get out.In elite though the so called perfect sand shot doesnt work so basically its accept punishment time or get lucky. ( wow pinishment for a bad shot what a concept! )
From sand in elite I would never aim for the green unless the land in front and behind the green is safe because its hard to know what will happen. That is why course management becomes all the more important in the harder levels. I think that's great.
RoyHiggi

Previous

Return to Talk About It