PLSA U. S. Open (Pinehurst #2 Restoration HD)

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

PLSA U. S. Open (Pinehurst #2 Restoration HD)

Postby GoesForIt on Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:27 am

I was very tempted to use FC/FC in Round #4, but after trying it in practice mode (even with easy pin positions), it just didn't seem to be fair.

The greens at Pinehurst are large, but with FC/FC and even MC/FC they're only about half their size. Almost every hole has a fall off on one ore more sides. Playing the course is frustrating.

I did use MC/FC for the last two rounds because it is the U. S. Open after all.
GoesForIt

Re: PLSA U. S. Open (Pinehurst #2 Restoration HD)

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:18 am

My second round was no better than my 1st, but I did try a new strategy for SC/FC. The first couple of holes I bogeyed because of backspin on short iron approaches.

After that I started trying to leave myself with a 5-iron or more on approaches to eliminate "[censored] back". I wasn't hitting the snap too often, but I think the strategy is sound for SC/FC... and a course with sloping fall-offs like Pinehurst.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:47 am

That first hole pin position, which I think is in the same spot for my first 3 rounds, your ball is going to spin way back. I hit 3W off the tee all three rounds to make sure I found the fairway to start and still could only par it. I found that on most of the holes I had to go back one click on my stance than normal to get the ball to the hole after the spin back.
Jim
Harpo

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:38 pm

Harpo wrote:That first hole pin position, which I think is in the same spot for my first 3 rounds, your ball is going to spin way back. I hit 3W off the tee all three rounds to make sure I found the fairway to start and still could only par it. I found that on most of the holes I had to go back one click on my stance than normal to get the ball to the hole after the spin back.

pin positions are different for all 4 rounds I promise. With S and SC, it's harder when the pin position are at the back of the green. If you hit just past the pin one of two things will happen. It will it on the green and come back or it will hit, jump over the green and not come back. I still like mid to long irons coming in with Soft. All my 4 under came on the back nine using that strategy.

It won't matter in Round #3 and #4 with MC/FC.
GoesForIt

Postby RoyHiggi on Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:14 pm

GoesForIt wrote:
Harpo wrote:That first hole pin position, which I think is in the same spot for my first 3 rounds, your ball is going to spin way back. I hit 3W off the tee all three rounds to make sure I found the fairway to start and still could only par it. I found that on most of the holes I had to go back one click on my stance than normal to get the ball to the hole after the spin back.

pin positions are different for all 4 rounds I promise. With S and SC, it's harder when the pin position are at the back of the green. If you hit just past the pin one of two things will happen. It will it on the green and come back or it will hit, jump over the green and not come back. I still like mid to long irons coming in with Soft. All my 4 under came on the back nine using that strategy.

It won't matter in Round #3 and #4 with MC/FC.

Tis a pain when you know how much spin there is likely to be only to overcook the approach by a fraction and go off the back and make bogey a real possibility. I will also be laying back off the T in the hope of getting less spin. Missing the snap hurts of course from further out but it does with most shots anyway. Playing ammy and it often helps to lay back to 200 yards
RoyHiggi

Postby GoesForIt on Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:34 pm

I did have a real nice eagle on #10 in Round 2.
Attachments
Eagle10Pinehurst-2024-06-13.SHT
(3.7 KB) Downloaded 177 times
GoesForIt

Postby MasterMontgomery on Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:39 pm

sand shot.jpg
sand shot.jpg (181.35 KB) Viewed 2734 times
So much for the soft fast spins or does not. In rd 1 it spun like i expected, but,
in rd2 at times it did not. very strange. Hole 5 was my fun hole. In c/c i lowered the
driver about 4 notches only to hit a weed in front of the tee an drop straight down. However
made a par. In pro i was short of the green in what i thought was a sand trap. So, i set it up for a 38yd sand shot.
the ball went along way. Again i made par.
Pic above

Doug
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby albatros on Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:51 am

yipped my drive on 18 left and then to my dismay took three shots in the sand behind some unseeable "sandgrowth" ... it is what i get for not hitting fairway but it was a shame since i was hoping to shoot par for the round.

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

albatros

a bouncing ball never sleeps
albatros

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:20 pm

So albatros, really happy with your bogies and double in Round #3 buddy. Keep up the good work there.

Sorry about all those birdies... hope you can correct that in Round #4.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:23 pm

Not sure how some of you do it. I was hitting the snap in Round #4. 100% FIR and even though only 10 GIR, I hit every green before 8 of them trickled off. Enough bend in putts longer than 10 feet that I just couldn't judge them. Lots of just misses.

Anyway, my hat's off and I guess I'll have to settle for the bottom this week.
GoesForIt

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:57 pm

Just an observation about the IRL U. S. Open. I know the USGA can make a course tough. They love 18 on the stimpmeter. But IMO, even though it's equal for all, I don't think Pinehurst is a fair test.

I mean, if you decide to create a green a certain size and a player hits on that green it doesn't seem to me that his ball ought to end up 20, 30, 40 feet off the green.

I hope they don't go back there for a long, long time.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:06 pm

Rory gave away the tournament. Why didn't he just hit 3W off that last tee? And then the yipps.
Jim
Harpo

Postby MasterMontgomery on Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:55 pm

Only about 2 feet on 16 an 18, unreal. An, he had been putting well.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
What an Art
MasterMontgomery

Postby GoesForIt on Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:49 pm

Harpo wrote:Rory gave away the tournament. Why didn't he just hit 3W off that last tee? And then the yipps.

I cannot count the times putts have squirted off to the right on me in Links... let along IRL on super fast greens.

Honestly, I was rooting for him because I wanted PGA over LIV.
GoesForIt

Postby Harpo on Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:23 pm

My thoughts also, I did not want to see a LIV player win.
Jim
Harpo

Next

Return to Talk About It