Mod Reminder

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

Mod Reminder

Postby DennisHarris on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:05 pm

Do not forget to switch to your mod ani. I forgot and had only a Driver and a LW to play the round. Needless to say I ended the round on the first tee. LOL!

Not that I play the Mod very often..... might that be the very problem. :lol: I know, I know .... I'm a (censered).
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby KCJammer on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:35 pm

C'mon Dennis, where's your sense of adventure???

You know, the mod gives your clubs added distance off the tee and with the extra roll you get on the fairways, you really could have given it a go with that lob wedge.

And look at it this way ... your fairways hit percentage would have been 100% (as long as you were able to actually reach the beginning of the fairway! :lol:
KCJammer

Postby DennisHarris on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:53 pm

KC,
My adventure was going to be playing the mod period. The prospect of adding another adventure to the mod just overwhelmed me. I have enough trouble with the mod as is.
So I chickened (not what I wanted to say) out. :twisted:

Now if DC or Mark wants to reset me so I can play in the pro mod event. I'll play.
Life is to short, so always eat your dessert first! :)
DennisHarris

Postby GDI_Coyote on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 pm

Or....note to self,make another player with "mod" or (take your pick) another way to remind yourself.

Love the mod myself,

Steve
GDI_Coyote

Re: Mod Reminder

Postby Modman1 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:15 pm

DennisHarris wrote:Do not forget to switch to your mod ani. I forgot and had only a Driver and a LW to play the round. Needless to say I ended the round on the first tee. LOL!

Not that I play the Mod very often..... might that be the very problem. :lol: I know, I know .... I'm a (censered).

Put that exact problem on the wish list. Should be a mod player should not be able to play 1.05 and vice versa.
We never have time to do it right, but we always find time to do it over.
Modman1

Re: Mod Reminder

Postby KCJammer on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:23 pm

AlanR59 wrote:
DennisHarris wrote:Do not forget to switch to your mod ani. I forgot and had only a Driver and a LW to play the round. Needless to say I ended the round on the first tee. LOL!

Put that exact problem on the wish list. Should be a mod player should not be able to play 1.05 and vice versa.

My understanding is that this issue will ultimately become a moot point when the new combined version of Links rolls out. With that release, we will be able to mix and match green speeds and firmnesses from current 1.05 and 1.06 settings.

In other words, we will be able to select, for example, 1.05 fast greens with 1.06 mod soft.

The bottom line is that there will be one new version of Links combining the attributes of v1.05 and v1.06 Links.
KCJammer

Postby RR_Desperado on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:33 pm

I fear we may be approaching a problem trying to mix the attributes of the v1.05 and 1.06. Here comes another case of taking views and opinions of the minority and forcing them on the majority. The mod , as a separate commodity is fine because we have a choice and the majority prefer to not play the mod. Now you are talking of mixing playing conditions from both into the game.
If this happens, I predict it will be the straw that breaks the camels back and will only add the the number of players defecting to the TW side.
You want to [censored] this game, this is one sure way to do it !!

This board censors the silliest things. k i l l ?
RR_Desperado

Postby KCJammer on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:38 am

RR_Desperado wrote:I fear we may be approaching a problem trying to mix the attributes of the v1.05 and 1.06. Here comes another case of taking views and opinions of the minority and forcing them on the majority. The mod , as a separate commodity is fine because we have a choice and the majority prefer to not play the mod. Now you are talking of mixing playing conditions from both into the game.
If this happens, I predict it will be the straw that breaks the camels back and will only add the the number of players defecting to the TW side.
You want to [censored] this game, this is one sure way to do it !!

This board censors the silliest things. k i l l ?

I'm hopeful that this version will serve to unite the modders and the non-modders. Essentially what's happening is that there will be more options for everyone in terms of setting green (and fairway) conditions. Players who prefer to stick with 1.05 conditions will be able to do so, players who prefer 1.06 conditions will be able to do so, and players who want a little from both worlds will be able to do so.

I'm not much into the mod at this point myself, but I might be inclined to get my mod feet wet in a blended environment where, for example, the green speeds are from v1.05 and the green firmness is from v1.06. I'm hopeful that, as I gradually adjust to these faster conditions, I'll learn that inclusion of the 1.06 conditions aren't as unrealistic or as unmanageable as I initially had believed.
KCJammer

Postby gibby on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:01 am

You are just talking about the arcade mode, correct?
gibby

Postby KCJammer on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:13 am

gibby wrote:You are just talking about the arcade mode, correct?

I don't really know. But that would make sense to me, at least in the early stages.
KCJammer

Postby gibby on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:25 am

With all the feature changes being talked about, why not put a trash bag over the monitor and we can all play blind
gibby

Postby KCJammer on Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 am

LOL Gib ... I think that's why my IRL putting game stinks so badly ... when I get to the greens, I expect to see a grid. :lol:
KCJammer

Postby sinewiz on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 am

gibby wrote:With all the feature changes being talked about, why not put a trash bag over the monitor and we can all play blind

Gibby, you made my day. That was hilarious. :D
sinewiz

Postby RR_Desperado on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:27 am

My fear is that with the proposed changes to the game, the arcade and official tour events will become a hodge-podge with everyone trying to outdo the other person and dreaming up some rediculous playing conditions. Before we know it, those of us who prefer to play the straight 1.05 version will be hard pressed to find a normal event. Some of us are still struggling to become proficient at 1.05 and don`t need 1.06 conditions in to further frustrate us. I`ve been playing this game for close to seven years and still am far from a top player. If I am not looking forward to having the game made more difficult to play, imagine how some of the newer players will feel. One other thing, take a look at the member registrations and you will find a very large contingent of players who weren`t on the old linkstour so there is obviously new players coming to this game. Almost anywhere you go , you can find copies of 2k3 in the bargain bins or on sale. Lotsa of people who weren`t prepared to pay 59 bucks (can) for a game they weren`t sure they would enjoy are more than willing to pay the 10 bucks or less it costs to try the game out now.
RR_Desperado

Postby KCJammer on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:21 am

RR_Desperado wrote:My fear is that with the proposed changes to the game, the arcade and official tour events will become a hodge-podge with everyone trying to outdo the other person and dreaming up some rediculous playing conditions. Before we know it, those of us who prefer to play the straight 1.05 version will be hard pressed to find a normal event. Some of us are still struggling to become proficient at 1.05 and don`t need 1.06 conditions in to further frustrate us. I`ve been playing this game for close to seven years and still am far from a top player. If I am not looking forward to having the game made more difficult to play, imagine how some of the newer players will feel. One other thing, take a look at the member registrations and you will find a very large contingent of players who weren`t on the old linkstour so there is obviously new players coming to this game. Almost anywhere you go , you can find copies of 2k3 in the bargain bins or on sale. Lotsa of people who weren`t prepared to pay 59 bucks (can) for a game they weren`t sure they would enjoy are more than willing to pay the 10 bucks or less it costs to try the game out now.

I completely understand what you're saying and I think you're absolutely correct that the game will become more difficult for most of us (at first). But that's because there will be more variations of conditions that we're not accustomed to. What new version of Links hasn't involved some amount of learning?

There was a time when there was no such thing as the buried lie in the rough -- that was something we had to learn how to hit. The classic swingmeter in bunker play didn't always have that second mark at 5:00 that you have to hit from fairway bunkers. Sidehill lies in Champ mode weren't always as severe as they are in today's version. It's all stuff that we had to adapt to with each new release. I don't see this as any different.

As for the Arcade games, I think you're right. Players will try to outdo each other with outrageous set-ups. (Anyone for Windy/Very Firm/Very Fast at DI?). But those games won't attract as many players. Eventually, the Arcade will become an area where players will go to practice and experiment without concerning themselves with their stats or rankings. I might play a casual round there if I've played all of my official tour rounds and I'm looking for something to do before the following week's official rounds begin. I think we'll also see the arcade being used a good bit for privately run tours.

I dunno Barry, maybe I'm being dense and naive, but I just see this new combined version as "Links 2007". Each previous release has introduced new features with its own strengths and weaknesses, some changes we had to adjust to, things we liked, things we didn't like, and nothing more than that. I also think a couple of years from now we'll be having this same conversation, with many of us not wanting to move away from Links 2007 to the "new and improved" Links 2010.

Time will tell.
KCJammer

Next

Return to Talk About It