First Time For Me

Talk about anything Links in here.

Moderators: DavidCass, Bruce Bo

First Time For Me

Postby BruceWallace on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 pm

I finished the U.S. Bank Championship, in Pro mode this afternoon, and I knew my ISP was having problems, but the stats went through, on the 4th round, according to what I saw.

I only shot a -16 in the final round, but I wanted to see the standings, but my ISP was down, and I just checked to see if I got within 15 stokes of Roy and Steve, and it says I am still playing.

I loaded up Links, and bigger than s***, I got the stats no recored, do you want to submit, sorry mofo... LOL

My cherry has been popped. I read many posts about this, but it never happened to me, and I know that it had to be my ISP, yet the nothing was abnormal when I left the game and went back to the main screen that shows the tournaments.

I'll s-u-c-k it up and shoot the round over tomorrow or Sunday, with the penalty stroke, but I did finish at -63. :(

I think that Roy and Steve only beat me by 10, which I consider a win for me. :D
BruceWallace

Postby EGC_Musketeer on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:44 am

Bruce its happened to me many a time......Twice this week alone as my ISP drops connection at any point in the day for a short while......Time I changed my ISP :twisted:
I love to play around but not with myself
EGC_Musketeer

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:08 am

playing offline pretty much takes an undependable isp out of the equation. lw
Larry_Warrilow

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:03 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:playing offline pretty much takes an undependable isp out of the equation. lw

I do play offline, although I am on cable modem. It hasn't happened to me before, so I feel fortunate, in that respect.
BruceWallace

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:05 am

EGC_Musketeer wrote:Bruce its happened to me many a time......Twice this week alone as my ISP drops connection at any point in the day for a short while......Time I changed my ISP :twisted:

That has got to be frustrating as heck. I don't really want to play round 4 over, but I don't have a choice. :(
BruceWallace

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:52 am

bruce, if you are not connected to the server in any way when playing (actual offline play), how can your isp [censored] you up with any kind of broken connectivity during the course any round? by definition, offline play only requires a connection with the server just before a round is started, and just after a round is completed.

almost all the complaints concerning dQs in the recent era have been from broadband players who think that they are guaranteed a continuous data connection with an internet server for 45 minutes or so. most times this is so, but the slightest data continuity glitch when playing online will result in a dQ.

those of us who got tired of being bounced playing online in the old days by the many failings of win95 quickly adopted offline play as the only dependable survival tactic. it's still the way to go if you don't want to have to play entire rounds over again with penalties. lw

Postby BruceWallace on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:57 am

Larry_Warrilow wrote:bruce, if you are not connected to the server in any way when playing (actual offline play), how can your isp [censored] you up with any kind of broken connectivity during the course any round? by definition, offline play only requires a connection with the server just before a round is started, and just after a round is completed.

almost all the complaints concerning dQs in the recent era have been from broadband players who think that they are guaranteed a continuous data connection with an internet server for 45 minutes or so. most times this is so, but the slightest data continuity glitch when playing online will result in a dQ.

those of us who got tired of being bounced playing online in the old days by the many failings of win95 quickly adopted offline play as the only dependable survival tactic. it's still the way to go if you don't want to have to play entire rounds over again with penalties. lw

I didn't disconnect from the Internet, and actually never do. Up until yesterday, I have not had that happen. My ISP went down totally, but it appeared that my round went in.

In this case, I don't think it would have mattered one way or the other. I had no internet connection for several hours.
BruceWallace

Postby tryandtyoneon on Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:58 am

Larry, offline is not fool proof, if a connection is not available at the end when links wants to submit the stats, you get the same message as if you were online the whole time, granted it's less likely to happen the one time you need the connection, but on occasion, an offline player is dealt the same hand as an online one.
In life, there are no Gimmies

tryandtyoneon

Postby Larry_Warrilow on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 am

bruce, as you remark, even after a total isp crash, when playing offline, your score should go through to the server when you finally reconnect. while exiting from the game before reconnecting and submiting stats dooms many players, enough other guys have been able to submit stats later on after exiting links that we can't say exiting the game is a cinch death sentence. but i myself would never exit the game before getting stat submission confirmation from the server.

try, i agree that there is a very small window of exposure to server connectivity problems when playing offline, but in the entire time i have been playing the tour (late '98 to the present time), i have never lost a tour round and stats due to that kind of problem. and the risk percentage of losing a round, online vs offline, isn't even close to the same order of magnitude. lw

Postby mercedes on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Try / Larry:

I also play offline and have had way less problems. Once in awhile I still get a glitch and I have figured out that it is usually a program on my computer doinf one of it's bad-timed "updates" about the same time Links goes to reconnect and submit stats. I know, I have had others say to turn those darn things off!!!

By the way...where's Terrell been? I haven't seen his comments around here this week?

Scott
If your not the lead dog, the view never changes.
mercedes

Postby LaMa_2k6 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:54 am

Shh ... don't jinx it Mercedes. :shock:
LaMa_2k6

Postby Freefaller on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:08 am

mercedes wrote:By the way...where's Terrell been? I haven't seen his comments around here this week?Scott

I believe I saw him say he was going on vacation or business somewhere this week. Should be back soon I think.
I reserve the right to be completly wrong
Freefaller

Postby terrell on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:24 am

Freefaller wrote:
mercedes wrote:By the way...where's Terrell been? I haven't seen his comments around here this week?Scott

I believe I saw him say he was going on vacation or business somewhere this week. Should be back soon I think.

i was in san francisco (cycled from fisherman's wharf to sausalito and back) last week. checked on you guys a coupla times, but there was nothing i could add to the conversation (borrowed pc, too).

sorry i can't add anything here either. i'm not sure if there's anything mark can do on his end to alleviate the stats transfer problems. personally, i think it's just the way different internet providers maintain persistent connections with remote hosts.

edit: my guess is mark is very proficient at tuning his server, and if there's anything within reason that could be done, he's thought of it. if you're having connection problems, i'd bug the daylights outta my isp. may not get anywhere, as many of you have said, but it never hurts to try.
terrell

Postby BionicWolf on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:45 am

terrell wrote:
Freefaller wrote:

i was in san francisco (cycled from fisherman's wharf to sausalito and back) last week. checked on you guys a coupla times, but there was nothing i could add to the conversation (borrowed pc, too).

sorry i can't add anything here either. i'm not sure if there's anything mark can do on his end to alleviate the stats transfer problems. personally, i think it's just the way different internet providers maintain persistent connections with remote hosts.

edit: my guess is mark is very proficient at tuning his server, and if there's anything within reason that could be done, he's thought of it. if you're having connection problems, i'd bug the daylights outta my isp. may not get anywhere, as many of you have said, but it never hurts to try.

Next time you're in the Bay area head north to Crockett and you can borrow MY aged pc...
Keep the fire...and by all means, SHINE ON
BionicWolf

Postby GaryTaylor on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:55 am

BruceWallace wrote:
EGC_Musketeer wrote:Bruce its happened to me many a time......Twice this week alone as my ISP drops connection at any point in the day for a short while......Time I changed my ISP :twisted:

That has got to be frustrating as heck. I don't really want to play round 4 over, but I don't have a choice. :(

Hey pard, it shows you with not 1 penalty but 3 of them. Must have been a long 4th round :shock:
GaryTaylor

Next

Return to Talk About It